Sign in to follow this  
jubal

Are Horse People Crazy, Or What?!

Yes, horse people ARE crazy .... but that appears to be taking it to extremes!

I was around 12yrs old and remember bringing my pony into the foyer one rainy spring day. The big mare prevented him from entering the shelter and he was shivering from being wet and cold. I spread a canvas tarp over the tile floor and carried a TV down for me to watch as I dried him with towels. I draped a blanket from my bed over him and provided him with water and some pellets to eat. We watched TV for a couple hours until the rain stopped and then I put him back in the corral and cleaned up and put everything away before Mom came home from work.

I don't know if I am glad I don't have a pic of that or not.

Well of course we are crazy! If you don't believe me, just ask a non-horse person.

When I was about 10 my grandmother came over to check on me after school since my parents were gone for the day. It was raining. Not cold, just wet, but I wanted to see my critters and did not want to be in the rain. I brought them all in the house; 5 chickens, 2 turkeys, 4 dogs, 1 pony and 3 goats.

My grandmother threw a fit and made me put them all back outside but my mother thought it was funny. I have a picture somewhere of that same pony drinking a pepsi out of the bottle while my mother plays the piano in the living room of our home in Waco. He was a regular guest in our house since we could not usually keep him out.

I have also seen an interview with a fella that has a service miniature horse. The horses name escapes me at the moment but she was adorable and house trained. She wore little slippers in the house so she would not mark up the wooden floor.

Is there any other way to be? Keeps life interesting!

I can also remember bringing the pony in the house. Mom caught us. It was ugly! To say she was not thrilled would be an understatement. :shocked:

Edited by Mz Rat

My horse would love it if he could do that. He has tried a couple times to break into the house when he has gotten out. He was halfway in the back door when he got caught and put back outside on the last attempt.

When I was a kid I think I tired to bring in just about every animal we had except for the cows. Chickens, ducks, bunnies, sheep, and horse. I still remember the reaction when the parents came home and there were several baby lambs hanging out in the family room along with a mix of chickens and ducks.

Being crazy is part of owning horses. Who else would get on a 1000lb animal and think nothing of it? Some are just psycho and do weird stuff.

When I was a kid I think I tired to bring in just about every animal we had except for the cows. Chickens, ducks, bunnies, sheep, and horse.

We had all those things in the house when being hand raised but they had to stay in the unfinished basement. Except for a horse. It would have had to climb a flight of stairs. We did have my pony on the front stoop at my grandparents house next door. That was only one step.

Yeah, we had all kinds of other animals in also. The usual dogs and cats. The order of 100 meat chicks that came in during a cold spell. The cute colored Easter duck that lived. I still hate ducks over 50 years later! Then there was the baby javalina that lived in the bath tub for about 3 days and the fawn that lived in the bedroom closet.

Edited by Mz Rat

That Woman needs a boy friend... ( well you get the picture) If she had a man in her house she would not feel the need....

Livestock belong outside! I have never been that crazy!

That Woman needs a boy friend... ( well you get the picture) If she had a man in her house she would not feel the need....

Livestock belong outside! I have never been that crazy!

I don't think she could get a boyfriend with that horse in her house. :smilie:

Well, of course, it's an Arabian horse, isn't it? Supposedly, they used to share the family tents of their Bedouin masters. This one just wants what his ancestors had.

We did this with my two minis when one was colicky. Brought both of them into the basement for the night so we could keep an eye on the colicky mare and make sure she pooped. Worked out quite well actually!

We also hand raised chickens and geese in the house until they got too big.

I think my current horse and pony would enjoy indoor living, although the pony has a knack for getting into everything so things would be a mess!

She might not think it's cute, after it eats something or gets hurt on something and dies.

i know mine would eat and chew everything he could pick up.

sorry but my home is not a barn. Geez, it's hard enough to keep up with the cats coming inside.

Gee.....I've often thought I'd be perfectly happy living in the barn, so...............

I know, my mare would definitely, come into the house, if I let her, but, horses and tile floors don't mix, then, there's the matter of the poop......have you SEEN the amount that comes out of a horse?! Not to mention, the urine, my mare pees a freaking river!

only problem the horse wouldn't know what to do once outside.....

that is going too far....Sorry but no I wouldn't want a full grown horse to live in my house.... just hope the horse won't get into some dangerous stuff.. like cleaning stuff....etc. hope doesn't chew on furniture,hope it isn't a cribber... Horses can be unpredictable at times. What if the horse started chewing on the light switches, pull on the socket...is this owner really considering the horses welfare, with all the danger inside the house that could harm the horse.

yes we bought sick animals into our house for a few days, they were babies mainly to nurse them back to health return them to their mothers, have done this to calves, pigs, donkey or two yes a foal.and Geese, we portioned of part of the kitchen ,off made a stall, laid straw on the floor,....bottle fed them, covered them up took them outside to relieve themselves. Once they were better, went to the barn for a few days in with thier mother.... then turned out.. all were fine.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

My youngest sister and brothers used to sneak Vanity my POA foal into the house to watch TV with them, when I went riding on Dondie (her dam).

They all laid down on the floor together and used Vanity as a back rest.

My mom & dad left my oldest brother in charge when they went grocery shopping. He forgot and went to a friend's house.

I had to clean up the mess, since I got home before he and our parents got back.

Not an easy job to clean up pee & manure from a brand new long pile carpet. :indifferent:

Edited by dondie