Sign in to follow this  
DR650

Anyone Getting Out These Days?

It is cold here. Minus 31C windchill of minus 39 but by noon it gets up to minus 7 C . Every afternoon I like to bundle up and head out for a 5 mile run on a quiet back road. The footing is plowed hard pack snow and he is studded up so overall the footing is excellent. suprising how warm it gets travelling at a nice lope.

Anyone else getting out???

WE never stopped going out. In fact it was 85F today, and we were in shorts and sandals!! :yay::yahoo:

Of course it will start to rain, or snow tommorrow because I sad that!! :surrender:

we didn't have a winter this year, so with the exception of a few cold patches we never stopped going into the mountains and lake and streams. wouldn't want to be living in the UK or american east coast though!! the UK is under water and the east coast is snowed in--no thanks.

WE never stopped going out. In fact it was 85F today, and we were in shorts and sandals!! :yay::yahoo:

Of course it will start to rain, or snow tommorrow because I sad that!! :surrender:

I want to come and stay with you. WE are extemely cold and deep snow this winter. Minus 19 again tomorrow night. We never get to the pluses but maybe later this week.

My wife if dragging me to "Florida Wednesday afternoon for 2 weeks and I am already not sleeping, worrying about my horse.

we didn't have a winter this year, so with the exception of a few cold patches we never stopped going into the mountains and lake and streams. wouldn't want to be living in the UK or american east coast though!! the UK is under water and the east coast is snowed in--no thanks.

We skipped 2 years of winter but this year it is paying us back. Where is that global warming they talk about.???

it's all over central europe--that's where. have you looked at what's going on at the sochi olympics. the cross country is being done by a lot of the skiiers in sleeveless jersies--it's too warm!! they're calling the snow something more resembling baby food or suet pudding than the good stuff.

on the other hand the UK has the most horrendous rainfall in 200 years with no end in sight, and another snow system is headed for the east coast of america. the weather is wreaking havoc all over the place--call it whatever you want.

I haven't gotten out lately. The few nice days we had I was busy. Last weekend we had a crazy snow and ice storm and this weekend we are getting dumped on with tons of wind and rain. Cant wait to get out and hit the trails this year.

The proper term is global weirding.

It just keeps snowing here - east TN. It will be close to 50 today, and I am hitting the trails, and we'll be 60s this week.

That's a good term Weirding. Both our weather meteroligis?? both have web sites that call global warming a hoax.. The world is not warming up, records were set long before the industrial revolution. A simple volcano can do more harm to the atmospher then anything man can do. The Arctic circle has more ice then ever? So much for global warming. the term allows government to tax us more.

Remember the gas shortages?? We were running out of gas so they had to rashion and jack prices.

Getting out, where?

Sure, I have ridden down the road with studded hoof boots (my horses are only shod in late fall ), and I have also hauled to an indoor arena. Riding across the fields this year is not possible, as the horses sink to their belly. The deer an elk are suffering badly this year. Snow crusts over, and coyotes run on top of it, making deer, who sink, easy prey

Most winters, i ride a lot down the roads, boring as that might be, or over the fields. This year, that is just not possible

Hauling anywhere to ride also won't happen until spring. I'm lucky to have someone plow us us, and thus manage to get my trailer out once in a while

I won't haul to the mountains any more, even in late fall, with a4 X 4 diesel.

About 4 Octobers ago, I was hauling the horses to an area known as the Ya Ha tinda.Hubby had an elk draw. He had the other 4 x 4 with a camper.All the way in, the road was snow packed, but i geared down and in 4 x 4 , made all the hills. The last hill into the Ya Ha is deceiving, as it has a turn , and one can't really get a run at it. Part way up i stalled out, and the brakes would not hold me. I burned out the horn!

Hubby never heard me and continued on to the camp ground. The horse trailer then dragged the truck backwards. As I was wondering when I should bale and leave the horses to their fate, trying to steer that trailer, the choice was made for me. The trailer went at right angles and then over the edge. I expected that my end was near! Suddenly the trailer stopped, after dropping over the bank. You know how it is said that you get super human strength at times like this!I jumped out and picked up huge boulders to wedge against the wheels, before ever trying to see what saved us

Some one was looking out for us, as the trailer had gone over where there was a big clump of poplars a few feet down that slope, and the back of the trailer was jammed against it

The horses were pawing, tilted at an angle. We managed to get them out the samll escape door on the side, and someone else came with truck form that camp ground and pulled the truck and trailer back

onto the road

Spoiled the entire time out there, as I kept thinking of hauling back over that hill. Wound up ponying the horses out, and hubby took the truck and trailer out empty over those first hills. We left the truck with the camper on it in the camp ground for a month, then went back and got it

Here is one picture from that trip. The horse is Ringo, who I bought from a PMU farm as a weanling

hubby the hunter (picture from another trip, when my brother was out from Ontario for an elk hunt )

FredElk.jpg

Ringotrip.jpg

HansandClassie_zps5f7e4cf5.jpg

Our hay field, where I usually ride in winter. I'm riding Cody in this picture, when he was a young stallion

Codywinter_zps7ea9db86.jpg

I have to admit, this winter I have ridden the least I ever have in the winter, but will make it up hopefully, come spring, when I ride two to three horses a day

I also admit that I now won't ride when it is very cold, as in the past. I have been there and done that enough, packed in to remote wilderness when a storm hit, and before we had a tent with a stove. I re call freezing in that sleeping bag for hours , until I finally got warm. Nope, I now won't ride when it gets below minus 12C, unless there is a reason. My horses are turned out full time, so get exercise

Edited by Smilie

Well our weather has been bouncing from cold/snow to 60' the next day. I don't know what temps to expect. I have been riding on the nice days.

This was my hubby learning how to ride after Christmas. He wanted to learn before he had his heart surgery in January. Kinda on his bucket list. So I put him on my trusty little mustang and we rode to town. He has now rode once more since his surgery and is doing great at learning how to balance and rein.

027-5.jpg

018-4.jpg

good job by your husband! Hope his heart surgery goes well, and he is able to ride many more trails! Those dependable horses are priceless!

I take great pleasure in feeling my guy between my legs loping along the same stretch of road day after day. It is a hard packed snow road over rolling hills with little traffic. I like to pick up a lope at the end of the farm laneway and travel at an easy rolling pace until the end, turn around and lope home. It is a 5 mile round trip and I might do it 100 plus times over the winter and never get bored with the feeling. We have a nice arena and being off time I have it to myself. I practice his skills for about 20 minutes every day before heading out on his road work. While it isn't much it is 35 miles a week of road work. Regardless of how cold it is outside it gives you a warm feeling with a great horse between your legs.

He is studded with pads so footing is not a problem.

Well, glad you are able to ride out.

I don't stud or keep shoes on my horses in winter.

I do ride Smilie every day, once she has to be dry lotted, and yes, that often is just jogging and loping down either direction from the end of my laneway, on the side of the gravel road, There is a very narrow window between when fields are not bogs and crops are on them again, and I make good use of that time.

Other than that, I have to haul somewhere in order to ride somewhere interesting.

Just spent the entire morning digging up the electrical cord from under the snow, to try and see why my water heater is shorting out in that field

When conditions improve, i try to keep three horses ridden, thus either ride all three around here, or hauling them on different days for trail rides. Of course, i am expected to also do basic house work, cook meals, feed all the horses and do the company books!

If you are able to ride your horse every day, that is good, as I won't argue that it does not keep condition on a horse

IN the summer, not now but destinations make a trip more enjoyable. Riding in for coffee break with the guys you use to work with, or heading to the pizza store for a few slices, or the dairy queen, somewhere that gives you a purpose.

We use to get a group of us and ride 12 miles round trip for ice cream Tuesday and Thursday, 25 miles round trip for breakfast Saturday and again 25 miles on Sunday round trip for breakfast somewhere else.

Our horses were getting upwards of 75 miles a week just eating so they were fit for endurance without seeming to train.

Eventually the crowd gets older, slows down or stops and it ended up just me.

I had my own shoeing business for 25 years so studding him up is no problem.

Edited by DR650

With the current drought and the warm daily temps this winter (upper 60s- mid 70s F) all of my friends have been riding on trails that have actually been dusty!

When I have time, I’ve been riding Sienna with my suede bareback pad on my road.

We have ancient Sequoia trees with growth rings that show extended drought conditions (tiny rings= little rainfall) that lasted up to 25 years…. five hundred to over a thousand years ago. Global drought isn't anything new.

Global drought isn't anything new.

We have always had climate change. The desserts were one time tropical. The artic was once a savanna, grass lands. The world changes and we can do nothing about it.

they can just tax it now and make us pay.