QueenBAW

Fighting Neighbors. What To Do?

Lol, you guys!

No, no one is dead. I think the wife may have went away for a day or two. I did talk to her just the other day though. Husband has been working late. I have heard the wife yelling at the kid, but no yelling between the two for minutes/hours on end.

Crossing my fingers that whatever is working for them will stay that way! But, I'll def. update you all when I have to call the copers.

Just to update you guys....its still quiet!

I spoke with the landlord who brought the neighbors up in conversation saying that he wasnt sure how much longer they were going to be there because theyre already behind on rent. So, I just told him that I didnt think that anyone would mind much if they got the boot....and then shared my experiences with them. Landlord wasnt thrilled and said he'd talk to them. We'll see...landlord tends to have too much on his plate and makes promises he cant/doesnt keep.

Additionally the neighbors that live in the house on the hill on the property asked me about them. They already had them figured for "pot heads".

The thing thats bothering me now is that they got a Pit Bull (they already had a weenie dog) a few months ago that has developed a very nasty ear infection. The husband has asked me about it/what to do several times and Ive told him several times to take the dog to the vet, its needs an antibiotic. Ive told him repeatedly. Well, of course he says he cant afford to take the dog to the vet. I even told him which vet is cheapest and which one will take payments. I dont know what else to do.

:-/ *narrows eyes at Serah*

Can you call AC and see if they can do anything enforceable about them not providing necessary veterinary care for a medical problem?

Finally convinced them to take the dog to the vet this weekend. It cost them a whole $25 and yep, it was a nasty ear infection just as I had told them. So thats taken care of, whew.

They did argue this weekend, but it was during the day and not for a long period of time. I think at this point I'm going to go to the police station to speak with an officer regarding just what they will come out for. Im not so sure that they will come out just for a 15 minute arguement during the day. Just to clarify, the child was not there at the time, she was with her grandmother.

The landlord hasnt come out to sit them down and speak with them like he said he would, but Im not suprised, thats how he is. I have no idea how far behind they are on rent, but I do know that the husband didnt work all week nor the weekend. I did hear him on the phone asking someone for money.

I stopped by the police dept on my way home yesterday and spoke with an officer. He kinda confirmed what I already knew. They wont come out for an argument during the day. If one has assaulted the other, then yes theyll come, or if one is threatening to do harm to the other then yes I should call and they will come. It is perfectly legal for me to record them (I didnt know that) and turn it in to the police dept. While the environment is not good for the child, no one is being physically harmed at this point. If theyre fighting at night and Im trying to sleep I can call and they will come out however it will take them at least 30 minutes to get to me and by that time the argument could be over and they be in bed. Its kinda like a catch 22 or a "danged if ya do, danged if ya dont" situation.

On the other hand, the police is interested in the marijuana sales. They want me to keep track of any activity I see or conversations I hear. If I can track enough going on then theyll send an undercover officer to sit in my apartment for a few days to listen to them.

At this point I just hope they are behind enough on their rent for the landlord to kick them out soon.

UPDATE:

So here we are...ugh. Long story short, the police have been out a couple times now. The landlord has given them a verbal eviction notice but has yet to file through the courts. Im calling him today to follow up on that. This will be the longest 30 days of my life.

If youd like the full story with all the details I'd be willing to share.

Phew, where to begin....

So I had talked to an officer about the loud argueing etc and the officer said nothing could be done about it really. He was interested in the drug issue. The argueing quieted down. The cop was supposed to be contacting an officer with the drug task force to meet with me. In the meantime I was writing down license plate numbers of drug traffic coming in and out of the farm. The other neighbors began complaining of their dog running loose all over the property, even somehow getting inside neighbor Betsys house a full pasture from where the dog is supposed to be, numerous times. Calls were made to the landlord. The bad neighbors were still not watching their kid, everytime they would be outside with her and Id come outside with my dogs so they could use the bathroom the kid would run to me and the parents would go inside and leave the kid outside as if Im going to watch it. The kid was all over the farm, crawling through the fence into the feild with the horses, etc. The screaming and cussing at the kid at all hours of the day went through the roof and was seen and heard by the other 2 neighbors. The other neighbors were getting tired of the bad neighbors dog, and quite honestly so was I. My dogs couldn't go out (My bigger dog is tethered to a large tree in my yard on a rope long enough for her to enjoy the whole yard. My smaller dog is not tethered but stays in my yard/driveway. Im always out with my dogs, they aren't left unsupervised.) without being humped by the bad neighbors dog. Bad neighbors thought it was funny and would watch...my dogs didn't think it was too funny and were getting aggravated. I'd literally have to take my dogs out and chase the bad neighbors dog away with a fly swatter so mine could use the bathroom...in my own yard! Faith is spayed, Jenna is not (will be on the 14th) however it didn't matter if Jenna was in heat or not. Ive seen the dang dog humping my barn cat for Christs sake! I know, it sounds funny, but trust me, its really annoying. Anyway, so then the bad neighbor wife tells me word for word that her husband is selling drugs to pay the rent. Yeah, shes not a smart one. He lost his job at the grocery store and then got his license restricted for drug charges. I reported all of that to the same officer who was very nice, but still got the same story that he was going to contact one of the officers on the drug task force and yada yada yada. Neighbor Betsys husband found some young guy walking out of the woods onto the property, claimed he was going to bad neighbors house...uh huh, we know what for. Fathers day I went outside to be overwhelmed by the smell of marijuana...yep, bad neighbors were smoking it up. Dog and kid still running amuck on the farm, no supervision. Made a call to the landlord. Other neighbors made calls to the landlord as well.

The last straw came...2 weeks ago I think? 3 weeks ago I came home to no power in my outlets in my kitchen. Thought my fridge had died but then remembered the wiring of the building is so crazy..so I plugged the fridge into a socket in the living room and all was fine with the fridge. Landlord sends half a$$ed electrician out who didn't know any more than I did. Checked the breaker box, yep I had already done that. Then he starts talking to bad neighbors wife who then confesses that she plugged in an old tv in the bedroom, the tv blew up and shes had no power in her outlets since. Well...my kitchen and her bedroom share a wall...why wouldn't you report that right away?!? Anyway...my good neighbors on the other side of the building were gone for the weekend and I was feeding their dogs. One dog is inside, the other is chained to a tree in their yard (no I don't agree with it, he does have food water and a dog house and does hate being indoors though.). I walked around the building to their apartment and the bad neighbors dog followed me. Bad neighbor was outside and never once called the dog. I tried to shew him home, no luck. He followed me over and the dog chained to the tree jumped on him. The dog chained to the tree just had him pinned down, no biting, no blood, but you would've thought the little dog was being skinned alive. I got the dog off of him, made sure he was ok and shewed little dog away. The bad neighbor wife THEN comes looking for him. I took care of the good neighbors dogs, tended to their little watermelon garden etc., went back over to my apartment and noticed bad neighbors dog outside roaming around alone. Jesus. Id had enough. I got myself together and took his little butt to the SPCA. Yes, I did. When I got home the bad neighbors had left a note on my door telling me they were looking everywhere for him and that if I saw him to hold him for them. I then noticed that the lock that the good neighbor and I had put on the storage unit to keep the bad neighbors out, had been ripped off. Hmm. So I watched some tv, and waited. Sure enough the bad neighbor came asking if Id seen the dog. I explained to him that the dog can not just run all over the farm, that I had given them a rope to tie it out on if they weren't going to supervise it outside, etc. etc. He then tried to complain about my dogs, which then spiked my attitude to a whole new level which then led to me letting him know that I had his child on video playing outside alone climbing through the fence into the field with the horses etc. and that Id be turning it over to CPS. He initially denied ripping the lock off the storage unit but then said that it "fell off when he lifted the door". I then called the cops, they came out, looked at the picture I had taken of the lock that was torn off etc, and had a talk with the bad neighbors. I called the landlord the next morning who then said he'd had enough and called them and told them they had 30 days to get out. The very next day bad neighbor wife made a post on facebook ranting about something to the effect of doing something to make all of her neighbors having to move. I printed that out, took it to the police department where a report was filed. I called the landlord again and let him know. This past Saturday night I come home from the grocery store and bad neighbors are outside. Im taking my groceries inside and the kid comes running to me, the mother comes to get her and tells the kid not to talk to me that Im a bad person. My reply was to laugh, which then she replies with running her mouth yelling and screaming, to which I replied the same and got everything off my chest. Good neighbor happened to be outside and came over as my witness. Again, I called the cops and the landlord. Cops talked to them, told them to control their child and stay off my yard/porch. I told the landlord that from now on, whenever I'm bothered by them, I'll be bothering him..until they leave. Since then, they've called the landlord a dozen times begging to stay, the wife offering everything but the kitchen sink to stay from what the landlord tells me. Landlord called me Monday morning to tell me that the wife called him and cussed him out Sunday morning and that hes coming down to file the eviction through the court. Yesterday I came home, let my dogs out to use the bathroom, again big dog on the rope in my yard, this time I put the smaller one on a lunge line in the yard. Bad neighbors are outside. Kid came running to me and into my yard 5 times. One time up to my big dog. Ugh, Im so over them. Calling the landlord again today to see where we are as far as filing eviction through the court.

ETA: Yes they got their dog back from the SPCA the following day. Bad neighbor had his mom go shelter hopping and she found it and brought it home. It still runs loose but they now DO watch it and are outside with it when its out.

Edited by QueenBAW

HOLY cow! I'm sure you're fed up to your eyeballs with this. I'm also glad you're bothering the landlord every time Bad Neighbors bother you.

I have nothing more to add as far as advice goes but dang! I couldn't stand to live in a place with paper thin walls like that! It must be an awesome place if you've stayed six years, so I'd say that's worth fighting for.

MiSSxZURi - Its really not an awesome place as far as the apartment goes. The property, good neighbors, being able to keep my 2 Pit Bulls and horse is whats awesome about the place.

Holy Hallelujah! Got word from the landlord that the bad neighbors are indeed packing their stuff and should be gone by this weekend or next weekend. Thank you God!!! The farm will certainly celebrate!

Holy Hallelujah! Got word from the landlord that the bad neighbors are indeed packing their stuff and should be gone by this weekend or next weekend. Thank you God!!! The farm will certainly celebrate!

Woo hoo!

Theyre still there.....spoke with the landlord this morning and he said that theyre supposed to be borrowing a truck tomorrow to haul everything. We shall see....please lord I hope so.

It sounds like you are living in a nightmare with the kids and dogs.
But I don't know, I reserve the right to argue with my husband whenever we feel the need. I think that most people do that, and if you don't like it - then you get your own place.

If the police came to my house for an argument that I was having with my hubby when it was just raised voices (obviously child abuse, or spousal abuse is different), I'd have a fit. My husband and I have a great relationship, we average about once a year. But some people don't, and they argue more often. To think that CYS would care about this, is amusing. You know how many seriously abused kids that live in shelters because they are not enough foster homes for them? I do, I am a foster parent, and have many kids come to me from shelters.

Music etc, is to be expected, heck you are saying that you can hear them when they are just talking. So of course you will hear that.

Was the weed ever founded by police? You need to go through your landlord. He looses you, a good paying tenant or he looses them - he would choose them.

People certainly have the right to disagree and argue amongst themselves. However, if they are disturbing others with their behavior then the person disturbed by excess noise has the right to complain or step it up and call law enforcement with a disturbing-the-peace complaint.

"If you don't like it - then you can get your own place."

Well, that car ^^^ can travel in both directions on the 2-lane highway of life. If the walls are thin, common decency suggests respect through volume moderation so everyone else doesn't have to hear their business. If the arguers dislike having complaints lodged against them, they have the right to get their own place where no one can hear them or complain.

Arguments and disagreements don't have to occur at maximum volume. IMO, if an argument has devolved into excessively raised voices, no one is listening and nothing gets solved.

I can see it both ways, and I think there's times when we have all had screaming arguments with our spouses. Now this is different as it's all the time, but I think that's a class issue.

If the OP can hear them talking, then there's not much removing of noise from that level - she lives in a crappy built place. They are going to run a vac, put on the TV, argue, all of which are reasonable to me in every day life - but too much if you can hear their entire convo. They'd likely hear my hubby fart and snore - I think those are fairly normal things that would likely keep her awake too.

She lives in a crappy place, if you can hear things on that level.

We just stayed in a Motel 6 for one night. It sounded like the man in the room next door was in our room - he was clearly a smoker, with a coughing/lung issue. Then my husband snores his head off, so coughing neighbor coughed all night as was kept awake. I got no sleep.

I've lived in enough apartments, that I believe you get what you pay for. Super cheap, and yes you hear them fart.

Alex, you made me consider my perspective. I've never said "if you don't like it, buy/move/get-your-own" .... but I have thought it many times! LOL

I work at a public library and our computers are set up side-by-side-by-side on groups of tables, like long dining tables. There are no dividers and minimal room between stations so privacy is basically non-existent and dependent upon your neighbor not looking. When people complain about being next to another person, the only answer we can give them is that our automated reservation system assigns the next available computer. We *can* override and assign specific computers, but we typically only do so for parents w/ younger children needing supervision and/or assistance, developmentally challenged adults also requiring assistance from their caretaker so they can be seated together and others with physical limitations in specific relation to our equipment (tables/chairs). Offhand, I can't think of a circumstance where we would set one patron apart from the rest just because they want to be alone, though perhaps a proctored test may be one.

There are plenty of times where I want to expound on our standard assigned computer reply with something like the following; "This is a public library and the computers are provided for, and used by, The Public. If you don't want to be near anyone while you are on a computer doing sensitive things with your personal information then perhaps you need to use a private computer where you can control how public/private your information is."

Basically: use your friend's or go buy your own.

I feel we (at my work) have back-up because it *is* a public place where we provide free services to the community, but in residential settings I feel those rules and guidelines are entirely different and there is an expected responsibility to be conscientious and respectful of your neighbors.

AlexS - Do you and your husband argue EVERY DAY? Do you and your husband slam doors and punch the walls causing MY framed pictures to fall off the wall? Do you argue so loudly that the two of you can be heard by the neighbors 2 acres away? Do you argue over a wash cloth or going to town to sell weed during a snow storm? Perhaps they should be your neighbors. And its really none of your business if I live in a crappy place or a million dollar mansion, it doesnt mean I have to put up with such nonsense. Ive had other nieghbors in that same apartment with absolutely NO issues what so ever. As far as the child goes, Im completely aware of how many children are in foster care in my area, COMPLETELY AWARE. However, when youve told the neighbors time and time again to stay out of the horses feild and watch thier child, and then the 2 YEAR OLD child is IN the feild ALONE with the horses for a good solid 5 minutes....what exactly would you suggest be done? And no, it didnt happen just once, or twice.

Anyway, on a positive note......THANK GOD AND GREYHOUND THEYRE GONE!!!! Wooohoooo!

I saw you had posted and was *hoping-hoping-hoping* it was to update that they were finally gone. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!