Sign in to follow this  
bdarabians

Crockett Renalde Bit - Curious About Age And Value

I have a bit that I have just identified as a Crockett Renalde bit...I didn't get a close-up of the marking before my camera battery died, but it's definitely a horseshoe with a C and R inside...matches the pictures I've seen of the Crockett Renalde mark perfectly. The silver conchos are in good condition, but the rest of the bit does have some surface rust here and there. Does anyone have any idea what time era this bit is from, and maybe a ballpark on how much it's worth? Thanks in advance! :-)

post-64952-0-35722500-1394149714_thumb.jpg

post-64952-0-85835900-1394149719_thumb.jpg

Oscar Crockett was a prolific bit and spur maker. At one time he had over 100 men working for him making bits and spurs. A couple of years after Oscar died, James Renalde bought out the company (1951). He continued to make bits and spurs under the Crockett/Renalde brand until about 1980. So your bit was made during the 1951 to 1980 time period. You should have the conchos tested to make sure what metal they are made from. Lots of Crockett/Renalde bits were mounted with nickle silver or other white metal and not sterling silver. A little surface rust should not hurt the value any. It's a nice bit, one of the more popular styles that Crockett made. Since there were lots made the collectors value is fairly low. If the conchos are sterling, I'd guess the value to be between $250-$350 if it's in as good of a condition as it appears in the photo. If your horse works good in it, use it. It is probably worth more as a nice using bit than a collectors piece.

I am a bit maker and not a collector. I don't keep up on the prices of old horse gear. Check on e-bay to get an idea of what your bit will be worth.

Edited by Rod