DR650

Steep Slopes

This thread is very entertaining. DR, I've come to the conclusion that you just like to argue and you'll always be right about everything. That's the definition of a troll in my books.

Again not a single one of you have come up with any evidence that leaning back is the way to go?? Not a single one other then your own limited experience.

Because I know leaning back is wrong and found evidence to support my arguement you think I am nothing but a troll???

That is your best defence???

I agree Andi that is a steep slope covered with rock. NOt a nice combination but you do do slopes.

I do them. They scare the crap outta me when they are that steep but I have to do it. It's part of the deal. And it helps me grow and learn and gain confidence. Still scares me though ... :twitch:

I do them. They scare the crap outta me when they are that steep but I have to do it. It's part of the deal. And it helps me grow and learn and gain confidence. Still scares me though ... :twitch:

Andi if you ever feel your horse slipping remember me, trust me and lean forward to steady him. I am not making this stuff up.

I graduated and got a job almost the same week in a university lab doing research. I retired after putting in 45 years and 4 months. I did research , ran all the undergrad engineering classes and a couple of grad courses, worked cases for the court and private companies but through it all I rode, rode , rode, every day I found the time to ride. Down the line I got to pick my own hours so every afternoon I went for a ride. Got a problem with that???

Grouchy Grizzle you are Grouchy.

Nope. No problem with it at all. Glad you cleared it up because the post made it seem you had researched this whole riding downhill problem all that time. Problem is just with you and how you go about presenting things. And I am not Grouchy Grizzle but Grouchy Grizzly. Would have been Grumpy Grizzly but Grumpy was already taken by one of the 7 dwarfs.

Again not a single one of you have come up with any evidence that leaning back is the way to go?? Not a single one other then your own limited experience.

Because I know leaning back is wrong and found evidence to support my arguement you think I am nothing but a troll???

That is your best defence???

Now you've done it sonny. Assuming that everyone other than you has nothing but limited experience. Rather presumptuous of you, just as it was when you earlier assumed you did way more riding than me when you had absolutely no idea what my riding time or experience is or was. Says quite a bit more about you right there. Experience does not necessarily translate into miles covered but I have way more of my share of those. Might not be more miles than you, don't know, don't care, but my experience with horses and mules I will put up against yours any day of the week. My younger days when you were looking for time to ride, I was often spending from light up to dark down in the saddle and going through two or three horses a day at the time. Might have been anything from wrangling horses in a huge, wooded mountain horse pasture when I was 12 years old, to packing a full sized Monarch wood cooking range over the continental divide to our permanent hunting camp (although had help with that one) to moving cows miles and miles. And like I said earlier, been riding, packing, breaking, training and whatever else was necessary with horses for 65 years, which makes me an authority on absolutely nothing about them. And I know there are people on this list and on Horse City whose experience and knowledge are much, much greater than yours or mine will ever be, I have not really gotten into your discussion about riding down steep slopes and have no intention of doing so. Semantics may play a large part in understanding what you are saying, but not in the way you present it, and that's where the kicker comes in. You, as the absolute authority and by far most experienced, which is a crock. Of what, people can decide for themselves. Would like to be an expert like you but just to old and dumb for that. Was to young and dumb before that. Besides when you look at the word "expert" and break it down "ex" is a has been and "spert" is a drip under pressure. Might fit you. Better to be an authority or as in my case a non-authority.

And by the way, the "Grizzly" part comes because of my personality. Been around them so damned much I have taken on their ways.

And now back into hibernation until spring really gets here.

Edited by Grouchy Grizzly

^^Like!!

his primary riding activity, oddly enough, (according to him) is galloping on flat, regular terrain, stopping to chat with his admirers going up steps to offices and visiting shopping malls. all the things that everybody dreams of doing with a horse :duh: .

oh, and let's not forget roping and dragging inanimate objects around, hobbling, ground tying, just so he can prove he can. AND he'll be the first to tell you that anyone in his 50 horse H/J barn will tell YOU that his is the best horse. his posts have been kind of wierd, but very, very funny.

My trainer always told me to stay in position with the trees if they are around, which always seemed to work. I used to make Farleena stop on steep hills to build her hind-end a bit as she was more forward and it was the easiest way to get her off her forehand.

I lean back too when dropping over a ledge to try and take the impact off his front legs but that is different then sliding down a steep hill where the horse is not landing on just the front legs with his full weight.

Ahaaa....the tune changes!!

No sliding down a steep slope I lean forward. Jumping off a shear drop off I lean back to try and save his front end at the time of impact. If I can get him to land on all fours all the better.

come summer I will drop him off a drop off every day going and jump up on return. We have one on the farm now burried in snow.

That first picture of the horse with his hind end still on the rock> I would have my guy jump off the top trying to land square , not stretched out like that. Sure it happens some time but most of the time I like him to jump down.

Edited by DR650

Ive never seen any equid land square coming down off anything, on their own, they always land front then rear, Ive seen em prong as such in play buck, but never decending off anything would defeat the suplicity o f the spine making for a bone jarring whump of a landing....I know how hard that would be on my spine, but to land on my horse like that would be painful for him as well.

At this time the only proof of your riding preference is a 50 year old obsolete video, which is no longer taught by any sane person, and some odd thaughts that landing square off a drop is goid for a horse.....I must at that reference of knowedge question what your offering as sound mechanics.....every picture shown shows a rider standing over his horses front feet, if one were to ride as you say, we would be putting our weight in front of our horse, and if his knees were to buckle, as I saw a green rider practicing your riding skills, and watched her mare go arse over tea kettle this last weekend, both rider and mare went face first painfully down into a gully cause she leaned forward over her horses neck causing the mares knees to buckle it was downhill from there.

No I wont learn your new/old antiquated way, as you have not your self shown any modern teachings of this that actually show how this puttung the torso forward helps the horse, it sounds as if you go through a lot of horses...

This is my oppinion, much like arses, we all have one, and only mine smells sweet....

Have you ever just watched your horse naturally jump off of a drop? They NATURALLY jump front to hind, so wouldn't it make sense to allow them to keep doing what is NATURAL?

Eventing - you always lean back over drops to balance out your balance and the horse. You don't want all the forward momentum to make the horse buckle in the front end...

Have you ever just watched your horse naturally jump off of a drop? They NATURALLY jump front to hind, so wouldn't it make sense to allow them to keep doing what is NATURAL?

Eventing - you always lean back over drops to balance out your balance and the horse. You don't want all the forward momentum to make the horse buckle in the front end...

never said to lean forward jumping off a drop off. I too lean back to take some of the load off the front if possible but at times he jumps square, landing front and back and I prefer this to landing solely on the front.

Sliding down an incline is different then jumping off a drop off.

So how do you accomplish them landing on all four? Ream on their mouth?

The mouth to me is the most precious part of a horse and that is why I ride with my legs, my weight. I can do a complete obsticle coarse with just legs and hands clamped to the pommel.

You ride off your training not the mouth. You want to see people hanging on the mouth watch a dressage lesson where the girls come out complaining about there sore hands and arms from hanging on while pushing with the legs??

No I value a mouth allot more then you.

The mouth to me is the most precious part of a horse and that is why I ride with my legs, my weight. I can do a complete obsticle coarse with just legs and hands clamped to the pommel.

You ride off your training not the mouth. You want to see people hanging on the mouth watch a dressage lesson where the girls come out complaining about there sore hands and arms from hanging on while pushing with the legs??

No I value a mouth allot more then you.

Pretty presumptuous of you to say how I ride. Have you ever seen me ride?

Pretty presumptuous of you to say how I ride. Have you ever seen me ride?

You assume that I " Ream on their mouth? " Why shouldn't I assume the same thing of you???

If I am so fussy that I don't even want someone else leading my horse to and from the pasture would I be yanking on his mouth???

Do it bareback. If you stayed on, you're probably doing it right.

It's not that complicated.

Anyone who is certain they are correct about everything is, without a doubt, quite wrong.

I asked the most knowledgeable horse person in my life about this specifically.

He said he tries to remain upright on the horse, centered. He might lean back a little going down and lean forward a little going up but very little.

With thousands of hours, thousands of miles and hundreds of horses under him, I'll go with his experience.

DR650,

There are no doubt different ways of riding a horses down a steep slopes. I'm glad your method works for you, & that is all that is important. But if you take notice, you are not getting many followers. But trying to shove your ideas down peoples throats, as gospel according to DR650, just gets old. If people want your advice they will ask for it. PD

It is good to try to understand what someone means when using certain terms. I just received and started reading Major General Perry B. Griffith's book "From Corral To Championship". On page 8, he states: "Another point to remember is that in the small of the back everything is dependent on muscles, so if you don't want to over-fatigue your mount, it is absolutely essential that a forward seat be ridden rather than one where the rider is back on the dashboard and pounding [censor software starred of the "h" word] out of the defenseless animal's spine." From this statement alone, it would appear that General Griffith's main defenition of forward seat has to do with sitting in the thorax region of the horse's spine rather than the lumbar region as some old paintings illustrate riders doing.

However, I find the caption under a picture states: "Slopes and slides can be bad, but this one is not. Rider should position himself over the horse's center of gravity, then never lean back. The secret of success in this situation is to ride a forward seat." I would put the emphasis on the words: "POSITION HIMSELF OVER THE HORSE'S CENTER OF GRAVITY."

Looking further at General Griffith's explanations, I find that his concern on "slides" is that horsemen not "lean back on the horse's rump". He adds: "....lying on the horse's hindquarters is a setup to sttrain your jocky muscles. Moreover, the legs are pulled up toward the withers, and all leg-purchase is lost on the horse." His concern, evidently, is that the rider keep his legs in position to offer the horse guideance.