kitten-kat

Oppinions On This Tool

I could see it being helpful for super hard bars like we get here in the hot, dry part of summer. That is about it.

You don't have to trim sole to bring a foot back, unless there is actually excessive sole depth. You do, often, have to trim lamellar wedge, which looks like sole. But true sole grows from the bottom of the coffin bone only if you go into that, you're trimming back too far since the coffin bone is our guide in the front of the foot.

Edited by Southerngurl01

Well I must say, I love this tool, especially this head. http://www.electrichoofknife.com/Power-Rasp_p_36.html. the power rasp is great for bars, false sole, and if one wants the whole trim. However, I prefer to use my nippers and bar rasp on the walls....i will say my trims were an hour per horse, and are now about 30 minutes. My hands are so much happier, and to say the least, I couldnt trim anymore without it...the nerves in my hands hurt more than I care.....but my horses feet are my responsibility, so this makes it much easier....

Since getting this tool, I've decided I dont much have use for the chain saw head, its ok,and does the job its supposed to, however, the sand paper head is way awesome, used it on feet, as well as repairing my water tanks...the cutting disk, I've yet to use on my horses, no need, but the power rasp, I love it.

If any of you find yourself getting this, i strongly suggest putting the toothy head away, and using the power rasp.

Edited by kitten-kat

Kitten Kat, are you still using this tool? If so, does the power rasp work for beveling and lowering the walls? And how is it holding up?

I use the EHK on the goats and consider it the best thing I've ever gotten my hands on. If you've ever had to trim almost 200 goats with traditional clippers, you'll know wrist and hand pain, not to mention blisters.

EHK has also been extremely good at correcting seriously bad hooves, much better than I've been able to accomplish with traditional clippers.

I do also use it on my ponies and it works very well for what I need it for - plain ol barefoot trims on ponies with good low maintenance feet.

My mare is about average, but the mustang's hooves are like rock. Rasping them took me ages and using the nippers took a lot of strength.

I do trim back a little sole if needed with the knife, but both ponies really are very low maintenance and generally just need excess hoof wall taken off and evened.

Some of the larger goats have very hard hooves too, especially in the dry heat of our summer, so the EHK has been a relief for me.

Ive been using the red power rasp a while now, have to say its my favorite head for the EHK,

The rounded design is great for gently removing false sole, and bars, i really love it, im

about to the new aggressive silver head, i think that it will work great on bevels. I just

really love this thing.

Thanks, KK. I ordered it today with the knife and the power rasp. I hope it works for me. I've begun to dread trimming and my beast needs to be trimmed every two weeks.

Same hear, tomorrow i get to try out a new head on Danny, i won the facebook contest,

and got a few new heads, ill tell ya, my boys prefer it to the regular tools, they dont

have to wait so long.

Oh, you won?? Congrats!! I meant to get a video done but...well, I mean to do a lot of things that never get done these days. :D

Well, so i got the silver goat rasp head, and I tell ya I love it, it works far better (in my hands)

Than the chain head, in fact, i havent used that one in a while. This new head worked wonderfully

It took the length off the wall, and was great for my bevels. Took my trim time down to nothing,

the only issue, flying hoof.

I've learned to wear safety goggles from the grit off the Dremel. I can't wait for mine to arrive, literally. I'm going to have to use that darn rasp one more time. -After I try it out, I may want to get the goat tool also.

Glad to hear the tool is working for you.

We do what works for us and have sound horses, without shoes. That's all that matters.

Okay, I guess I should update. I got the Electric Hoof Knife and Power Rasp head. I've practiced with the chain head but I'm not confident about using it with my wiggly horse. The rasp head did nothing to the walls. So I ordered the silver goat head. It isn't abrasive enough for the walls either. Because I was clumsy enough to fall on the stairs and knock my back out of whack, I couldn't trim for four weeks. I usually do it at two. So maybe, when he isn't so overgrown, the goat head will do the job. And I still have the chain to try.

Wow, the goat head has been great on my boys...I just aquired another goat head disk, but the old one

still works the same as it did on day one...though I've not gone very long between trims, my boys grow

fast though. I dont get a chance very often to see them grow long. And they both get muddy spots to

stand in to make trim day easier. But that is just habbit. I truly love this product.

Okay, another update. When I first tried the goat trimmer, it was hot and dry here and my horse's feet were like concrete. It was not working for walls and bars. I tried it again today after it's been more normal in the rain department. The goat head worked well for bars and walls on his hardest foot. And he stood still with a very puzzled look on his face at the vibration on his hoof. So quiet horse, easy trim. Win, win. Only problem I had was it was cold and the safety glasses kept fogging up, so I only did the front. You definitely need safety glasses for this tool. Still haven't tried the chain.