Sign in to follow this  
Smilie

L-Trytophan As A Calming Agent

Another thread made me look up some info on L-trytopan, as I knew many equine calming agents contained it, and also knew that it is banned by many organizations in their drug rules

I also heard that it could cause the opposite effect, and make some horses more excitable. Since I have never used it, I confess that I never bothered to look up any info on it.

I thus found the info very informative, and thought I would share

http://www.stanceequine.com/announcements/calmatives-for-the-excitable-horse-a-review-of-l-tryptophan

Very interesting article. Personally, I have my horse on Smartpaks..Smartcalm ultra which has several "herbal" components in pellet form. I've tried other supplements, but this one seems to work better on Willy. Since he lost one eye...and is now 19 yrs. old, Smartcalm ultra seems to take the edge off of his sometimes slightly hyper reactions to his environment. Of course, this is in conjunction with my training to desensitize him. I have found what works for one horse, may not work for another....just as in humans. :smileywavey:

I used tryptophan on the mare I just gave away. I saw zero change in behavior. I really think these calming supplements are only usefull in animals that have deficiencies that can successfully be supplemented.