Sign in to follow this  
QueenBAW

What Size Truck?

I kinda put the cart before the horse here so to speak. I bought a horse trailer, and now I need to find a truck. My dad is picking it up for me and will pull it for me until I get my own truck. My plan is to buy one (and make payments) from the local dealership here. They have been really good to me in the past and I was originally looking at cars there recently, but now the plan has changed. I dont know a whole lot about trucks, but I figured you guys/gals would! If you could give me some suggestions on trucks and sizes that would pull my trailer I'd appreciate it.

My trailer is a 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room. I'll be going to local weekend shows probably once or twice a month.

My goal is to get a truck that will pull the trailer but not have too much truck...does that make sense? Trying to keep payments/insurance/personal property taxes as low as possible. My brother suggests a Ford F350 dully diesel...um, yeah, I'll just run right out and get one of those! Ha, I wish! Like I said, I dont know much about trucks, but Im pretty sure a F350 dully diesel is more than I really need.

Suggestions?

We used a F150 crew cab for when we pulled a 2 horse bumper trailer. It hauled it just fine and didn't put any stress on the truck. Main thing is make sure the brakes work well, because that's a lot of weight to have going up and down a hill and your brakes not be in tip top shape.

I'm sure someone else will have better suggestions but that is what worked for us.

Whatever truck you get, have the trailer brake system installed, and make sure the hitch is FRAME mounted. Bumper mounts just won't hold up. Any solid 1/2 T or 3/4 T pickup will work. 8 cyl is best. Most 6's don't have the power to handle a trailer anywhere but on the flat.

Yup i haul my 2 horse slant with dressing room that weighs 3300lbs empty with to horses and all my camping gear with my dodge ram 1500. the bigger engine, they came in 318 and 360. As hoku said makes sure your brakes are good and as oz said get the brake system that controls trailer brakes. If I have to stop quick, I do get pushed if fully loaded so the brake system is a godsend. Otherwise my truck handles my trailer just fine. :)

Whatever truck you get, have the trailer brake system installed, and make sure the hitch is FRAME mounted. Bumper mounts just won't hold up. Any solid 1/2 T or 3/4 T pickup will work. 8 cyl is best. Most 6's don't have the power to handle a trailer anywhere but on the flat.

Ditto this. I would prefer a V8, however my fiance has worked on a lot of vehicles and said the new ecoboost V6 in the Fords is a great engine and has quite a bit of pulling power.

Good luck in your search! Wish I could get a new truck and trailer. .haha.

Tritto on the brake system....it's a life saver, and also saves a lot of wear and tear on the truck itself. I haul with my f150 no problem...but it does suck on gas. I would look for a decent used diesel....there are some good bargains out there!

I am another for the electric brake assist. Nothing like getting pushed through an intersection by a loaded trailer to scare the absolute carp out of you!

I am another for the electric brake assist. Nothing like getting pushed through an intersection by a loaded trailer to scare the absolute carp out of you!

I experienced that many years ago, lucky I was just at a gas station with no one around.

Yes, brakes! Trailer has brakes, I'll have to have a brake box etc installed on the truck probably. I was looking at a truck listed on craigslist that was being used to pull a camper, so it already had everything I needed. I would have to get a loan from the bank for it, BUT I am a little leery of buying a vehicle from craigslist.

Where are you located? I personally wouldn't buy anything that's not 4 wheel drive, however I live in the land of ice and snow so it's very necessary.

Do you have anybody that can help you with your search and go with you to try out trucks that is a bit more knowledgeable? Your dad or brother perhaps?

We bought our car from a private seller on Craigslist and have loved it so far. My fiance is a very experienced car person though, so he knew what to look for and questions to ask. If you're not sure what to look for, I would really try to find someone that knows about cars, that way you don't get talked into something that's overpriced or not going to last you, or both!

Where are you located? I personally wouldn't buy anything that's not 4 wheel drive, however I live in the land of ice and snow so it's very necessary.

I was thinking that too. Im in VA and although we've had quite the winter here this year, it isnt usually like this. I wouldnt be going out in the mess anyway truthfully.

Do you have anybody that can help you with your search and go with you to try out trucks that is a bit more knowledgeable? Your dad or brother perhaps?

We bought our car from a private seller on Craigslist and have loved it so far. My fiance is a very experienced car person though, so he knew what to look for and questions to ask. If you're not sure what to look for, I would really try to find someone that knows about cars, that way you don't get talked into something that's overpriced or not going to last you, or both!

As much as my dad would like to claim he knows a little about trucks...he really doesnt. He took my exboyfriend with him when he went to look at his current truck, lol. My brother too thinks he knows a lot, but what he really knows is bigger = better. Thats all fine and nice when you dont have a budget, lol.

the 5.4 is better for hauling, IME, the 4.6 is not quite enough engine for the truck especially when towing.

that said...I am not a truck guru nor have I ever played on on TV....I'm just repeating stuff I read when I was truck shopping myself.

If you can, get a F150 5.4 v8 with the tow package...king ranch edition. Used (of course...new that would be wayyyy spendy...lol) The king ranch tows REALLLLLLLY nicely. Plus, it's pretty. lol

How about this? The only thing I dont like is that its 2WD....do I really need 4WD? I dont need the 5th wheel thingie, but hey, it may come in handy. Too much truck for what I need Im thinking...but..

"1998 Dodge 3500 1 ton dually. 2WD turbo diesel. Has almost new Cummins 24 valve turbo diesel engine with about 98500 miles on it. Not even broken in yet. Has a brand new Jasper transmission with about 1800 miles on it. 3 year warranty, cost $2500. All new brakes and lines, ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, A-frame bushings, and 6 new on the road tires with 2 very good spares. New seats and console. HD towing package with under dash brake controller. Also has a 2 5/16 5th wheel ball in the center of the body with light hook up. New fuel injector pump, new fuel injectors, and new fuel lift pump. New 4in. exhaust system from front to rear. Has a new Pioneer AM/FM/CD Customization Stereo with remote control. almost new paint job (dark purple). Kobalt diamond plate alum rail to rail extra deep tool box. Inspection sticker good until 7/14. $8500. In interested, reply to post with number and I will call you back. Serious inquiries only. Thanks for looking."

Edited by QueenBAW

Personally I would find a mechanic that you can trust and have THEM take a look at whatever you consider buying, even if it's a few hundred bucks extra, it could be money saved later :) . Even at car lots, you can't always trust that they are in good working condition. When my husband and I were truck shopping we test drove a truck that ended up having a fuel leak (we could smell it in the cab and alerted them when we got back to the lot) and that truck had already been serviced and deemed ready to go. Not all of the problems will be that obvious OR it could be things that will obviously need to be replaced in the near future but not yet.

Luckily I am married to a diesel mechanic (or maybe that's UN luckily since he's always got some idea about what wonderful truck he NEEDS or whatever) He is partial to Ford's 7.3L and you might be able to find one at a decent price since the last year for them is 2003.

Way more truck than you will need, and you have to FEED that monster too.

Now that one is worth checking out.

Unless you have a fair bit of mud and snow to deal with somewhat often, 4WD isn't really necessary.

Stay away from Fords with a E4OD. They burn up when they have to pull and they are very expensive to replace...I would call around to some shops and see what works best for pulling as far as maintenance goes.. We pull with stick shifts because they are more heavy duty. We have two fords both one tons. One is a dully and the other is single with heavy duty springs. I'm looking to get a Dodge with a Cummins and a stick just because of mileage and trade the cars in.

I'd stay away from that Duramax..they are junk that year. Just about any year if you actually use them for working..They eat injectors.

AD

QueenBAW,

I've pulled a 16 foot stock trailer with 5 different half ton gas chevy trucks, all have handled it just fine, when loaded with two horses. Tranmission cooler & brake control are both important, getting comfortable pulling trailer, can take time, but with time it all falls in place. Getting the hang of backing a trailer up, can be difficult at first, but if you can practice with 4 wheeler or riding lawn mower with small trailer behind, you can gain all the same principals. Best Wishes. PD

Personally I would find a mechanic that you can trust and have THEM take a look at whatever you consider buying, even if it's a few hundred bucks extra, it could be money saved later :) . Even at car lots, you can't always trust that they are in good working condition. When my husband and I were truck shopping we test drove a truck that ended up having a fuel leak (we could smell it in the cab and alerted them when we got back to the lot) and that truck had already been serviced and deemed ready to go. Not all of the problems will be that obvious OR it could be things that will obviously need to be replaced in the near future but not yet.

Luckily I am married to a diesel mechanic (or maybe that's UN luckily since he's always got some idea about what wonderful truck he NEEDS or whatever) He is partial to Ford's 7.3L and you might be able to find one at a decent price since the last year for them is 2003.

My hubby is partial to the same. He had one a let it go, still kicks himself! You really don't "need" anything that huge (the cummins 3500) for a two horse trailer, but you definitely won't even feel like you're pulling anything with it! We had a ford 3500 Powerstroke with a 6.7 and that thing was amazing. I couldn't even tell i had our huge/heavy trailer on! Diesel gets better mileage in my experience.

I love my Chevy Silverado HD2500 series truck -- works great for my 3300 lb - 2 slat bumper pull horse trailer. With the 1500 series truck I could only get the truck up to 50-60 mph had to take my time going down the road.

So I bought a Chevy Silverado HD2500 series and love the fact I can put with ease at 60-65 mph or more. With two horses going down the road I would prefer to advise you to get a 3/4 ton truck.

If you go to any type of rodeos / trail rides here in Texas there are more Dodge Rams and Chevy trucks than any other types. Don't really see any Fords pulling horse trailers, etc. You may want to go to a few rodeos in your area take a look around and ask ppl what works for them. That is what I did and glad for the advise I received.

Good luck and send pics of your new/used truck with horses. :-}

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate all your input.

My dad and I picked my trailer up yesterday and he said that it pulls along really nice, tracks behind the truck really good, follows right along. We looked at some trucks later, all overpriced. We did see a few on craigslist that are worth looking at in person.

I have a 2004 F150 5.4L v8 with 130,000 miles on it (bought it at 67k 3 years ago). It's pulled everything I've ever asked it too. Get a 4x4 for sure. I hauled to a jackpot a few weeks ago after we got a skiff of snow. The main roads were fine, but the side roads to get there I needed the 4x4 for sure.

Pulled a bull nosed 3 horse with a tack room fully loaded once...I wouldn't have gone any farther than I did, but she got the job done.

I currently have a 2 horse slant load Titan Avalanche with a dressing room and it pulls like a dream. 4300lbs empty I believe. Hauled it with one horse and half my worldly possessions from Michigan to Iowa and actually ended up with pretty good gas mileage really.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller and I love it, we have the same unit mounted on our barn truck. Super easy to install (my truck was wired already and I installed the brake controller in about 6 minutes) and operate.