Sign in to follow this  
MiSSxZURi

What's A Good Simple Feed?

What is a good diet for a pleasure/family horse? I'm trying to buy a yearling who is currently on a formula intended for cutters and I think I would like her on a more relaxed feed. Suggestions on a good overall food? I'm not sure if there are any preferred brands in my area yet.

Thank you!

Forage should be the main part of nay horse's diet, in the form of pasture, hay or a combo.

Only when you know what that forage is lacking, do you know what else you need to supplement. You can add more calories or protein, or both, depending on levels in that forage

All horse should also have a source of free choice minerals (not a trace mineral block, which is mainly salt ) , and an iodized salt block

If more calories are needed, then you can chose between hot and cool calories. Cool calories come from fats. Hot calories from NSC, which grains have the highest amount of (grains are oats , barley, corn and wheat, and not some pre packaged feed which often has very little grain!

It is really frustrating when horse people looking at feeding solutions first try to find them in some feed bag! Even if that feed bag has the right amount of protein, energy (calories, ect, for that age of horse , the amount of that feed you give the horse daily is a minor influence to his diet, in regard to the total diet

For instance, you can have apre packaged feed that is 14% protein and say 10 % fat (energy)

If you then feed a hay that is only around 8% protein an d2% energy, the total daily requirement of those ingredients will still be too low

Gotta start with the forage, to know what to add!

Your county extension office can help with that, if you take them a sample.