Sign in to follow this  
cowgirl1991

Pastern Cut

I went out to ride my mare Sunday evening and instead found her holding her hind leg up with a pretty good gash on the pastern.

At first she wouldnt put any weight on it at all but by the next day she was walking just fine, now today she's walking on it OK but when she stands she only allows her toe to touch the ground. Sunday evening I cold hosed it cleaned it the best I could put blue lotion on it and wrapped it. Yesterday I unwrapped it and left her in the stall for a few hours to let it have some air, I then cold hosed it put wonder dust on it and wrapped it up again. She can't stay in the stall for to long because she freaks out and will end up just making every thing worse for everyone. Yestarday when cleaning it she set her foot flat down for the first time and I realized it was much worse than I had originally thought and ALOT deeper. It went from something I thought I could easily handle to something I thought the vet should look at. I called him and he thinks it's something I can handle myself, but he's going to call back later because he lost cell service. I also gave her penicillin and a tetanus shot. The cut goes from the front around to the back then down into the frog. where she keeps it bent is the worst part of the cut, so its hard to tell just how deep it really is.

Anyone have any experience? Anything else I can do for her? Or should I be using/doing something else?

Day 1

10153028_10151936367510378_1794504747_n_

1660988_10151936367340378_772620053_n_zp

Day 2

10013864_10151938294435378_4889754998542

1526448_10151938294770378_23865877785595

Myself, I would call an order to www.equaide.com, they have a wound heal product works great. I would clean it with a warm water mix of 1 gallon warm water, 1/4 cup surgical iodine, 1/4 cup epsom salt mix well, scrub wound, if need, you can soak the foot in this for a few minutes it is clensing, and soothing. After the wound is clean, put equaide on the wound, you'll think me weird, but use a maxipad directly on the wound, it is sterile, wont stick, wrap from hoof to knee with no bow wraps...limit "some" of the movement in that area, leave wrap on for 3 days, then clean and rewrap as done above. I would hand walk her, no more....if the wrap gets really bad, change it early, but otherwise, Cover the lower part with duct tape, or vet wrap to ptotect it...make sure not to wrap too tight.

I would do this for 2 weeks, then start letting it go without a wrap for a few hours to start re-habbing the foot to dryer conditions.

My concern would be these things: There are numerous sensitive structures that can be injured in that area that require intensive management to heal including: the coffin joint, pastern joint, tendon sheath, deep digital flexor tendon, arteries and nerves, collateral cartilages and coronary band. Heel bulb lacerations should ALWAYS be evaluated by a veterinarian to determine the extent of the injury. This is a high motion location meaning that without proper wound management these injuries take many months to heal and then heal with a very large scar. If the coronary band is affected the future hoof growth can be affected permanently. I would also have this horse on Uniprim until seen by a vet.JMO.

I have already talked to the vet several times, they are supposed to come tomorrow, which is by THEIR doing, not mine I called the day after it happened. I have no way to get Uniprim. I've been cold hosing it every day as well as cleaning it with iodine. Then I put Wonder Dust on it and wrap it. I take the wrap off and lock her in a clean stall for 2-3 hours every day so the wound can get air. I would put her in the stall more but all she does is pace 24/7 so I feel its best to leave her out where she basically just stands around all day. It's not even half an acre so it isn't like she's in a huge pasture.

Vet is supposed to be here around 1 tomorrow, it's a new vet at the clinic. I'll update then

Vet said that everything looked good, nothing major was damaged and I was doing everything right. All we changed was wonderdust to a granulated spray (I think thats what it says) We may do regional limb perfusion if it isn't healing like we like it to by Monday or Tuesday. She also believes she'll make a 100% recovery with minimal scarring and no lameness.

Thanks everyone!

Bute belongs in a category of medications known as NSAIDs or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Same as some people horses may experience some GI side effects.It's all about individual response.Let your vet know of ANY change that occurs with any medications, change of personality, swelling, or heat in that leg.

I'm not a total newbie at things, I may only be 23 but I have a degree in Equine Production and Management and Ive had horses my entire life bringing worse cuts then this back, I just have never dealt with a pastern cut, the cuts I've experienced have been shoulders/upper legs etc. I am keeping in contact with my vet, but she isn't always available (weekends, nights etc) so it's nice to have a second opinion on things. Thank you to everyone who has commented.

I also don't feel comfortable using bute for long periods of time, I discussed this with my vet and we decided to only give bute on a as needed basis instead of every day and to give 1g in the am and 1 in the pm if I feel she needs it, and to give it after she eats instead of before and if she shows any more signs of stomach discomfort we'll give ulcerguard or something else she named.

Fancys tetanus shot WAS up to date, but I gave her a tetanus antitoxin and then the vet gave a tetanus toxoid because we do have tetanus in our soil and take all precautions against it. We also did a injectable antibiotic (I forget what its called) and I went ahead and did all her shots. We're using iodine to clean it every day, and then using granulex and keeping it wrapped.

I'll post updated pictures as soon as I can get them on here.

It looks like the wound is healing well, but it looks quite moist which tells me you need to let it air a little. I would even consider not wrapping it anymore. Make sure to clean it daily and let it air out. It's mostly surface now and will heal far quicker if it is able to breath rather than staying covered.

I would like to stop wrapping it but with our weather and the mud, there is no way I can let it go unwrapped. We've had so much rain even the stalls are flooded. I can't risk getting mud and debri getting down into the wound. I was unwrapping it and letting her graze in the yard on the lead while I was out there with her for a couple hours, but now even the yard is a mud hole.

if you have to wrap I would try animalintex over the wound then vet wrap.you can use it wet or dry.....go with dry.that will keep it clean and help dry up the serumy stuff