Sign in to follow this  
wisecomp

Rodeo: Yay Or Nay?

Rodeo: love it or leave it?

What do you like or dislike about it?

Where I live, Ranch Rodeo is gaining in popularity. It's a team oriented rodeo, as opposed to individual competitions. It more closely resembles real ranch life in many ways, more so than the PRCA style. For example, you won't find bull riding at a regular ranch rodeo because on the ranch, the bull is too expensive to be horse around on it and riding it. You will find team branding, team doctoring, calf roping and ranch bronc riding. Often, you will find trailer loading and wild cow milking and horse roping. All those things occur on the ranch. Sometimes, for the kids, you'll see steer riding or mutton busting. They don't usually have barrel races or pole bending.

I would like your kind, Andi. What we get around here is just kinda boring.

What's fun is the fact it's teams. Usually there are about 20 teams per rodeo and 4-5 people per team. For individual events, like bronc riding, they designate someone to be the rider.

Trailer loading is a riot. It's not so fun in real life when you have a sick or injured cow or bull that you *must* get roped and loaded on a trailer in the middle of nowhere and usually only have 1 other person to help ... the poor cowboys get the crap beat out of them but it's fun to watch:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202588497699931&l=6517373561025422889

So, would your rodeo, Andi, be similar to Ranch horse competition? That event is becoming very popular here, and I sure prefer it over actual 'rodeo"

http://www.arhva.com/

Calgary stampede is an example of 'regular rodeo, and is coming under the radar of animal rights groups, and probably justly so, as several chuck wagon horses have been killed in the last few years

Edited by Smilie

I can leave it.

I have attended before but it is not something that is entertaining to me, especially calf roping.

Outside of working a ranch, there really isn't a need for roping a young animal's neck and jerking it around like that. That's a good way to get spinal/neck injuries, not to mention death.

I know I will probably offend some people here, that are very pro rodeo, but animal rights groups and some humane societies are against rodeo, and while there is an element of over reaction, there also is a rational bases

In Europe, cattle events are banned in many countries, and the writing is on the wall for Canada anyways. I know it is steeped in tradition, and there are reasons to rope cattle on a working ranch, but does that justify rodeo?

How about the chuckwagon horses that are killed almost yearly, or crippled in that insane race, that Ian Tyon's song refers to as 'half a Mile of ****?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Animal+rights+%2B+rodeo+controversy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4LNEU-GeG4LtiAKytIDQAg

http://www.responsibletravel.com/copy/animal-welfare-issues-at-rodeos-and-stampedes

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/13/three-horses-down-after-crash-at-calgary-stampede-chuckwagon-race/

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/13/animal-rights-group-pushes-for-halt-to-calgary-stampede-chuckwagon-races-after-three-horse-deaths/

Edited by Smilie

cattle events aren't banned in germany, france, italy, spain or portugal and there are also stock dog trials. what is getting close to being banned in spain and maybe portugal is bullfighting, but IMO that's due to a wane in general interest rather than PETA pressure.

what is difficult to find is the cows to train and hold shows with (they're mostly milk or meat cows), and something like ranch rodeo is pretty much unheard of because very few know that such a thing exists. what is growing in popularity is "working equitation", which is a mix of dressage, gymkhana, domo vaquero, some jumping, speed challenges and then working cow horse. our barn is the only one around within a radius of 900 kilometers that has zebu cattle exclusively used for cow work. that's a long way to haul (three to eight hours) to train on a regular basis.

i don't care for all rodeo events, but i do enjoy the sheer atheleticism of bucking horses but think the people who ride them are a couple of screws short (who knows if it happened before or after they started LOL).

who i think are absolutely INSANE ( i mean that literally as in crazy as a loon) are those bull riders!!

I, too, would rather watch/participate in a ranch rodeo than the typical PRCA rodeo. I feel it's more wholesome and family-friendly than a PRCA rodeo. You see lots of hokey looking girls in straw hats and plaid shirts and crazy redneck guys spitting their dip juice all over the place at PRCA rodeos, ick.

As far as events and the entertainment portion, the ranch rodeos around here do have barrel racing for women so I don't miss out on that.

Being a former bull rider I love the sport, always have, always will. Have to admit I don't like all the bling on today's horses/riders, not into the fashion show aspect but as long as it doesn't affect their performance... :smilie:

cattle events aren't banned in germany, france, italy, spain or portugal and there are also stock dog trials. what is getting close to being banned in spain and maybe portugal is bullfighting, but IMO that's due to a wane in general interest rather than PETA pressure.

That's interesting, Nick, and sorry for the inaccuracy, as I was going from memory.
I thought that people I knew, whose daughter went to train in Germany, and who was from a reining/working cowhorse background, said at the time, that some Cattle events were not allowed.
So, are roping events allowed in Germany?
Roping of course has obvious application on a working ranch, but calves aren't slammed into the ground in 8 seconds, and I guess that is one of the big issues
Off topic, but I really get a kick out of movies that feature a horse that needs reforming, bucking, with that bucking strap applied!
Organizations Like the Calgary Humane Society, have worked with the Stampede, to implement changes that work towards helping reduce injury to animals used in the rodeo sport

The Calgary Humane Society "The Calgary Humane Society opposes the use of animals for any form of entertainment in which they are placed at risk of suffering undue stress, pain, injury or death.”[19]

Given its position on animals in entertainment, CHS opposes rodeo events like chuckwagon racing, calf-roping and steer wrestling that are the most often implicated in injury to animals.

While other organizations may wish to intervene through protest, or other means, CHS has found it can best protect the interests of the animals involved by working with organizations that put on such events. Over more than a decade of work with the Calgary Stampede, Calgary Humane Society has been instrumental in significant changes that have reduced injuries (for example, changes to the chuckwagon track that reduced stress fractures to the legs of horses; penalizing of calf-roping that yanked the calf backward) and eliminated certain high risk events (like wild cow milking).

CHS does its work by providing recommendations to the organizations, by following up on public complaints, and by having its Peace Officers attending these events to ensure the province’s Animal Protection Act (APA) is upheld.

Under Alberta and Canadiana law, Calgary Humane Society’s primary role in attendance of the Calgary Stampede is to enforce the Animal Protection Act of Alberta.Calgary Humane Society Peace Officers attend every day of the Stampede to monitor and ensure the animals are being properly treated i.e., food, water, shelter and care. They are also immediately on scene of any accident involving an animal to ensure the animal is being treated promptly, efficiently and humanely, to document what happened, and to follow up with the unresolved cases.

CHS encourages concerned citizens to document their complaints and send them to the agencies and individuals listed in the attached document.

SHARK is attempting to stop *all* rodeos. They hate the thought of rodeos. There are instances of injury in EVERY equine sport; some are more prone to it than others but sanctioned rodeos are one of the sports that has the least amount of deaths and injuries.

Smilie: I've heard about recent problems with the chuck wagon races. Any idea what might be the cause behind it?

Roping events are probably my least favorite. Not because I think they are "cruel" but because I think they are usually boring. In all the years of watching rodeo, I've not seen an injury to any animal being roped, be it a calf, steer or horse. For me, horse roping is the most entertaining because it's the hardest to do and the horses "win" more than the cowboys, by far. It's probably the most controversial as well, since the videos seen the most are put out by SHARK, who record and splice together every fall and make it appear as though that's the goal of the event. They even think they got big loop roping stopped in Oregon (they didn't) with a law passed banning horse tripping. I've never seen horse tripping and don't want to and know of no rodeo that does horse tripping so I'm glad they "stopped" it. If it was happening. LOL

I *love* bucking horses. Bull riding too but the bulls are getting tougher and less people are riding them, so it's not as fun to me. I like seeing a good ride!

personally even though we have some of the biggest professional rodeo events happening locally, I seldom go to watch.

I much prefer to watch a good cutting or working cowhorse event,

I did get free tickets to the Daines Rodeo a year ago, so went to watch. I have to admit that the bronc riding is very entertaining, as is the bull riding, but find myself almost wishing for a good wreak, as that seems to up the entertainment value, and get the adrenaline flowing, even sitting in the stands and watching! Must be my darker side, and I think , also basic human nature!

There are certainly some great rodeo athletes, and I know what a good roping horse or steer dogging horse is worth, as I have friends that rope and go to the NFR in Vegas I am not in the far right camp of the Animal rights people, but rather more moderate, happy that the Calgary Humane Society is working with the Calgary Stampede, to affect positive changes from within

As in my other post, you can see where they have tried to modify the danger in the Chuckwagon Race.

Here is an example of a chuckwagon race,, showing the danger as those horses come out of the barrels and hit the track

Here is that one wreak, and has agood view of those horses coming out on the track, after the barrels, although in this case, a collision was not at fault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oxTuGMY3hA

Edited by Smilie

I love the rodeo! My favorite events are the barrel racing and the bull riding but I like to watch them all.

I have not been to a ranch rodeo yet but would really love to.

hey smilie,

there are no roping events in germany (or the rest of the countries who have cattle events as far as i know), because nobody knows how :lol: . alfonso aguilar who is a clinician from texas was here monday and tuesday giving a seminar on working cow horse skills and horsemanship for problem horses, and we talked him into giving us a little lesson with my girlie version of a lasso. we were thrilled to be able to: 1) eventually keep the loop open while twirling after many, many tries while standing on the ground, and 2) getting the loop to settle over a stationary barrel also while standing on the ground LOL!

there's no "ranch way of life" here where cattle out on the open range need to be brought in for health maintenance, so i can't see roping taking off any time soon (boo!).

Can you be, yay and, nay? Because I do like a good rodeo, but, don't like seeing the calves roped, jerked off of their feet, picked up and, slammed back down.....makes me cringe.

I, do, however, love watching those horses work! To me, a good working cow horse, doing his/her job, is poetry in motion!

I know all about working cattle ranches and, the things they do...my Dad was a rancher and, I used to help him brand calves........they were mostly run into a squeeze chute, not roped.

I don't see rodeo as cruel, but, I have to wonder.....why? Except to maybe, showcase some over inflated egos.

My Farrier and a friend of my husband's, team rope, they have exhibitions once in a while, on various ranches in the area, sometimes larger events at the fairgrounds....that's the type of rodeo I like to watch and, still, I mostly just watch the horses!

Nick, I found this about Rodeo rules In Germany. Is it accurate?

Why is there rodeo in Europe? Why is it legal in Germany?
Rodeo is a legacy of the US-Army. At first it was only carried out in or around US-Army barracks in Germany. It is still legal in Germany, because the term "rodeo" is not clearly defined in the animal protection law. The individual veterinary officer has to make a decision whether to allow a rodeo in his area. However, in June 2006 the Federal States of Germany agreed to ban bull riding, wild horse race, the flank strap and the spurs in saddle bronc riding and bareback riding due to a veterinary report by the Veterinary Association for the Protection of Animals (Tierärztliche Vereinigung für Tierschutz e.V.) Read the report here.

According to the Federal German Ministry of Agriculture the German animal protection law also applies to US-Army barracks. This means a German veterinary officer must have access to check out the animals and supervise the rodeo events. The stock contractor must inform and register with the German veterinary office in the area beforehand.

Logo.jpg

in the whole time i've lived here (since 1993) i've never heard of a rodeo being held anywhere, but i have no contact to the military. the american forces pretty much evacuated around 2006, so i would imagine any rodeo related activity sort of died a natural death as a result.

we do have plenty of western shows--trail, pleasure, reining, cutting, working cow horse (you can google the Amerikana Augsburg) but no bucking, roping or wrangling events that i know of.

Thanks for the videos Smilie -- I can see where that would just be scary dangerous. Which is likely why they do it -- adrenalin junkies!

As to the question about "why" for rodeos?

I think the answer is simple: it's a way for the cowboys to showcase their skills and talents and to socialize and kind of have a little celebration at the end of branding season or whatever. It started off as a way to unwind at the end of the day -- ride a bucking horse or whatever. But the skills learned on the ranch, like roping and riding, is something people who have never experienced such a thing ever see. So it gives the rest of the world a look into the ranch life.

And from there, it grew ...

That's understandable, Andi...showcasing skills should be enough, though, IMO, why the need to be the best, to win the buckles?

Having people know you're good at what you do, should be enough, why the need to prove you're better than everyone else?

I guess, I just prefer the good old fashioned cowboy rodeos, where no one is judged and, everyone is just out to have a good time.

That's why I like the ranch rodeos, because it's a team. It's not individuals competing against each other. Yeah, still egos involved but that's to be expected, I think. But it's teams competing against each other, usually ranches.

The prizes, and the crowning of the winner, is for bragging rights for a year ... LOL

I like a good rodeo, don't like the chuck wagon races because the chance of injury will naturally go up when you hook 4-thousand pound animals together in close proximity with other teams, all running at full speed, one slip or mistake will cause a domino effect in that team and any behind. But, it does give ex race horses a second chance at life where they may have been slated to go to auction or slaughter. So it's a double edged sword I think.

I've seen videos of horse tripping, definitely do not like it, but it seems it wasn't happening here as much as Mexico.

My favorite cattle event is team penning, not sure if they have it in ranch rodeos, we don't have any true ranch rodeos around here.

I just don't think young animals should be hurt, injured and sometimes even killed for the sake of bragging rights. Call me a bleeding heart if you must, but I have always liked that one quote. Don't quite remember who it is from and there seems to be quite a few variations of it but it typically runs along the lines of, "a nation can be judged by the way they treat their animals."

IMO, it is easy to be nice to other people, in person. Anyone can accomplish that. But to treat those that most consider "beneath you" (aka animals), that is the true test of a man, nation, or person as a whole.

No one wants to be roped around their neck, dragged, thrown to the ground, jerked, and then tied together so they cannot move. Nor should it be an acceptable practice to any living being.

In regards to the poster who stated someone wouldn't let them practice on their dairy cattle, because it would be harassing to them... heck, I wouldn't let you either! Those cows are likely the person's livelihood and a lot of times when an animal is stressed, they will not produce as well as they normally would when not stressed.

Well, I'm definitely not for ANY animal getting hurt. But I have been to (one) rodeo and there was no accidents, no injuries, and the cattle got right back up and trotted to the far gate. Everyone was in good health and seemed vigor. No profs were used to coax the cattle, some walked out of the gates instead of run and the run had to be redone.

I must ask, if not for rodeos, how many horses would be without a job? Ropers, cutters, barrel racers, etc. Many horses are specialized to do a sport and while yes, they could be trail horses to, most people just don't care about trail riding like they would a sport, so they wouldn't have specialized horses to so the job. So without the rodeo, these horses wouldn't be here, either not bred or sitting in a yard absolutely miserable (in some cases).

Well, I'm definitely not for ANY animal getting hurt. But I have been to (one) rodeo and there was no accidents, no injuries, and the cattle got right back up and trotted to the far gate. Everyone was in good health and seemed vigor. No profs were used to coax the cattle, some walked out of the gates instead of run and the run had to be redone.

I must ask, if not for rodeos, how many horses would be without a job? Ropers, cutters, barrel racers, etc. Many horses are specialized to do a sport and while yes, they could be trail horses to, most people just don't care about trail riding like they would a sport, so they wouldn't have specialized horses to so the job. So without the rodeo, these horses wouldn't be here, either not bred or sitting in a yard absolutely miserable (in some cases).

I think that's a great point. Even though non-ranching humans have no 'need' for a cutting horse doesn't mean horses won't still be bred with the inherent drive to cut. Etc, etc.

Yikes those chuckwagon races though... I was on the edge of my seat watching those! They definitely need MORE SPACE to distance themselves between each other at the very least.