Sign in to follow this  
atomicodyssey

8 Yo Appendix

Hi guys, wondering if you could critique my new boy! He is a 15.1, 8 yo grade Appendix gelding. I'm going to use him mostly for trails but will dabble in LD endurance rides and hopefully one day low level eventing. Either way I plan on this guy being my forever horse!

Excuse his scraggly mane. He's got some sort of itch going on, but I'm trying to fix that with a feed change and some fancy shampoo.

292y49s.jpg

Well. He has nice hooves and angles - I like to see a good size of hoof, esp. on stock types which tend to have smaller feet.

But basically? I like his front end. I don't like his back end. Those hindquarters look posty and "squashed" with an excessive slope of croup. I'd also prefer to see more heartgirth on an endurance/eventing horse. I'd want to see more angle of hock, too. Front pasterns look much better than the hind ones, too.

Good front end, poor hind end, is my assessment. Temperament and heart can, of course, make up for a lot.

(Could the "itch problem" be sweet itch?)

I hear you on everything you have said. I had the farrier out today and he said that Bandit is quite stiff through his hindquarters and at one point had a stifle injury. He warned me to let him up slowly and watch for any soreness. His two previous owners claim no knowledge of an injury (since he was 2) and that he's always been that way and has never been unsound. He is quite sound now but he was run on barrels for years so I wouldn't be surprised if one is not entirely forthcoming.

If he can never handle endurance or eventing that's ok, as long as I can get out on the trails I will be happy.

I've looked into sweet itch but isn't that seasonal? Apparently he's always been this itchy. He's also always been on a grain based feed, of which I am replacing with a ration balancer and generous quantities of hay, perhaps he has an allergy of some sort. Either way I'm going to keep trying things til something seems to help!

Appendix, so I assume half TB, as that sure shows!

He has an up hill build,which is a plus, and the prominent withers from his TB background, which has his neck not tying in as level as one would want in a straight stock horse, and which can cause some saddle fit issues

His hocks are further off the ground that optimal, but again, talking straight stock horse. I am not totally convinced that he is post legged, as TBs in general are straighter behind, and would like him stood up more correct in front, as the way he is standing, he appears back at the knees in front, and with a fairly straight shoulder.

Before you think I'm picking him apart, that is not so, as he has many good points, including an athletic looking build , and a nice short back and long under line

Run a line through the middle of his forearm, straight down, through the knee and bulb of the hoof, and see where that knee is.

I would be more concerned about his front end