Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

I'm In Need Of Some Advice...about Jack

Most of you know about Jack and all his troubles.

I'm afraid he's doing bad, again' the meds were working well' he had no episodes for a long time, then yesterday he had two, actually attacking Chopper, he still, today watches him with a look that says, he will attack.

What do I do? Is it time? Do I wait and risk a possible bad attack.....so far no damage has been done, Jack has only gotten Chopper's hair and no flesh.

I'm making excuses, I know..this is so hard...any advice?

I would say that he is becoming more of a liability now and it's not safe for your other dog. I know it's tough, but he's probably not happy having episodes like that, you know? *hugs* I'm sure you know the right thing to do in your heart, but that doesn't make it any easier...

I know, but what makes it harder, is, Jack still plays and acts like his old self quite a bit, it's those times that make me think he'll be okay. When we were in NM recently, he was great, probably because he stayed active and by the end of the day, was too Tuckered to do anything but sleep... Maybe, staying busy is the key.

(((((equi))))) I know this must be so hard for you to go through; to wonder, worry and keep yourself heartsick.

There has been no injury YET and I completely believe this isn't a case of if, but when. If you are going to continue making excuses for Jack, do the right thing and keep your other dog completely separated from the imminent harm that is Jack. Do not wait until there is an injury before you take steps. Take them now.

IMO, keeping your other dog safe and considering humane euth for Jack boil down to the same thing: better too soon than a moment too late.

I think you need to face that Jack will *never* "be okay". He will *always* be a ticking time bomb. My apologies. This is a terrible position you are in.

Edited by Heidi n Q

I know, my husband has made the same statements..ticking time bomb and, not if, but when. I'll do what I need to do, but first, I need to have a talk with the vet, if she tells me the same thing, I'll feel better about making that decision.

I can see only one other option. Build him a private kennel in the yard, with room and shade, then spend as much time with him as you can.

I'm sorry Equi! :huggy: but like you said ..ticking time bomb.. This is what happens. My BF has a bear dog with the same issue..she also has two other dogs she keeps separate from because he has hurt the others. Hers is harder because Rocky was her sons that was killed in Afganistan.

I have thought about building Jack his own place,he isn't so bad yet, he has episodes all the time, yesterdays was the first in about two weeks, I am still holding onto some hope.

PMed you..

Edited by Appaloosa Luver

My last reply should have read.....it's not like he has episodes all the time.... Don't know how I left so much out.

It isn't a matter of his being blind, but of his sudden onset aggression..he can't help it and, the meds aren't designed for long term use, they're not a fix, they just are buying him some time.

He will more than likely have to be euthanized.

I'm so very sorry! It was very hard to help my very elderly dog pass, but the other option was to watch him starve to death as his body failed. I cannot imagine having to consider euthanizing an animal that is otherwise healthy. You have my very great sympathies.

Tracy

I believe I have given Jack much more than he would have had if I had not kept him when he appeared in my yard that morning two years ago. He would more than likely have been hit by a car, or worse, starving in the desert.

Jack at least got to experience a home life, with people who thought he was worth saving.

When the time comes, it will be hard, but at least I'll know we did all we could for him.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by equicrzy

You saved him from a horrible death (dying with suffering, alone and unloved) and gave him a family and a wonderful life. You went the extra mile to keep him comfortable and tried so hard to solve his issues. You did a great thing for him.

So sorry that you are reaching this point, you have given him so much, you will know when the time is right to help him to be at peace.

I'm sorry. It's never an easy decision, no matter the circumstances. Good thoughts for you and Jack ((hugs))

I'm hoping, once we move and Jack has more free outside time, which will keep his mind busy, he will do better. He did great the last time we were there.

I may be grasping at straws, but, I need to give Jack every opportunity.