Sign in to follow this  
*Smokum*

Boots Off Inside Or Outside?

Do you take your boots/tennies/flip flops off inside or outside and what are your reasons? What about dirty clothes? Would your answers change if you had an attached or detached garage?

I milk cows at night.... I'd love to have a garage to get naked in before coming in my clean house. But since that's not an option, I'm happy my laundry room is right across from our entry door and I take chore clothes off there..

We still prefer to remove our shoes by the door also. If I'm coming I'm quick to go pee than its fine. But family gathering's and such, please leave your shoe at the door... My dogs bring in enough dirt. ;)

Edited by *BurgundyBlankets*

foot wear comes off right inside the door. We have no garage/mud room so there is always a pile of people in the door way taking off footwear lol. Depends on the level of dirty clothes where they come off. If it's dirty enough that yutz is falling off the clothes then they strip on the front porch lol. Otherwise it's in their bed/bathroom.

We have a mud room right inside one of our doors, so shoes off once in the door. If someone is really muddy or full of hay, etc then they of course should make an effort to get it brushed off outside the door and then come inside. If boots are really muddy or something, then probably take them off outside or spray them off first. I'm not too picky though, the mud room is made to be dirty and it's easy to clean up, so not a big deal.

I was ALWAYS taught to take shoes off at the door when going to anyone's house because if you think about all the things your shoes touch and then to drag all that through someone's house is pretty gross IMO. haha But, then I heard on the radio that that is more of a Midwest thing because of our crazy seasons and that most people find it insulting to have to take their shoes off at the door because their shoes are part of their "outfit"? Is that true? Maybe I'm too much of a country girl to understand that one...haha

We take our shoes off in the entryway, which leads into the kitchen, and then to dining and living room. We have a deck off the entryway but there still seems to be mud trudged into the house and I'm cleaning it multiple times a day. I take my shoes off outside if at all possible, stomping my boots off as good as I can before they come in and then put them on the rug so I create less work for myself. My husband just walks right in and doesn't seem to make much of an effort in not making a huge mess for me to clean up, and it kinda bugs me... Not just because I'm having to mop the floor and vacuum the entry rug so often, but if I don't get to it right away, I can see saw dust/dirt/etc makes its way to the carpet and can't help but think of all the other things that came with it, especially with a 7 month old that is just starting to crawl, I don't need him eating nasty crap, ya know? I can't control where peoples shoes have been, for all I know he stepped in a pile of dog poop, which he has done before :sick: lol (Hubby does logging and construction for a living so it's not just his boots, but clothes that are dusty/dirty)

Maybe my mother rubbed off on me in this department, we were made to take our shoes off outside (attached garage) before coming in so there was NO mud ever brought in, if we had to use the bathroom in the mud room, we were to clean the floor off on our way out if our shoes were dirty.

My solution was to get a boot brush, you know the ones that are on the ground and have bristles on 3 sides, and make sure to do that before stepping in the house, but that hasn't gone over well. Also, with clothes I suggested to take extremely soiled work clothes off in the garage and then shake them off very well before coming in, but again, no go.

I don't think I'm a germaphobe, I just have a baby crawling on the floor, and want to keep most of the mud/dirt/poop/whatever else outside so he doesn't see it and put it in his mouth.

As soon as I walk in, boots come off in the mud room and go on the boot tray. New house has very nice wood floors, trying to keep them that way LOL. Dirty clothes I don't worry about, unless dirt is falling off--in that case, the laundry room just off the mud room, so stripping is an option.

We have a rear door walk out, on the back of our house, that goes into a large mudroom and that mudroom also bathroom and shower. Simple to get cleaned up before going upstairs

When it's thirty below, better believe i'm not getting changed or taking boots off outside!

I think it should be the choice of the person who cleans the house. I clean my house, so I leave as much dirt as possible outside.

Shoes are not worn in the house ever. Mine stay in the attached garage, it also has a rug where the cars do not park and my wife takes hers just inside the door. then again she has 70 or 80 pair?????

We have a mud room right inside one of our doors, so shoes off once in the door. If someone is really muddy or full of hay, etc then they of course should make an effort to get it brushed off outside the door and then come inside. If boots are really muddy or something, then probably take them off outside or spray them off first. I'm not too picky though, the mud room is made to be dirty and it's easy to clean up, so not a big deal.

I was ALWAYS taught to take shoes off at the door when going to anyone's house because if you think about all the things your shoes touch and then to drag all that through someone's house is pretty gross IMO. haha But, then I heard on the radio that that is more of a Midwest thing because of our crazy seasons and that most people find it insulting to have to take their shoes off at the door because their shoes are part of their "outfit"? Is that true? Maybe I'm too much of a country girl to understand that one...haha

I was wondering if it's regional or cultural. I can only think of a handful of households I've encountered during my life in California where it was expected to take one's shoes off.

we had a salesman that moved from TX to Indiana. He'd never seen a house with a "mud room" till he moved up here. Didn't take him long to figure out when he was looking at houses why the Realtor was making a big deal about some of the houses that had fantastic mud rooms lol.

Depends on how we are feeling that day or how dirty our shoes are. If they have mud on them, they come off at the front door and are thrown in a basket. If they aren't that dirty, we will wear them to the bedroom. I don't like wearing my shoes in the house. When I'm at other's homes, I ALWAYS take my shoes off at the door. Just common courtesy.

We don't worry about it too much. Of course we have no carpet so a broom and a mop and it's all cleaned up. If I had carpet that would be a different story.

I live in California, so we only have a few months of the year where mud is a problem so shoes/boots are taken off on the bench in the entryway inside the house.

I have a boot scraper that has two brushes on each side and a metal bar across the bottom, two sisal mats and a boot jack on the 10'x12' porch for scraping off most of the muck off boots or shoes. If the boots or shoes are really muddy/dirty I hose them off in the gravel surrounding the front yard water tap that has a small spigot half way up for cleaning shoes or filling water bowls for the pets.

The house has tile floors, so dirty clothes are changed in the bathroom and dumped in the plastic laundry hamper. There is a mop in the entryway coat closet that can be used to clean the floor as I drip water all the way to the bathroom.