Sign in to follow this  
HorseyGirl101

Fall/winter Horse Jobs

So, for next fall and maybe part of winter, like an after-school activity, I want to do something with horses. You know like how after school some people go to soccer, dance, or activities like that, right? Well, I want to do that, except I want it to do with horses. I don't go to a trainer or a barn, so I don't really have the option of mucking stalls, exercising horses, or doing stuff like that. Any ideas? Anyone? :questionicon::smilie:

Not sure where you live but when I lived in Ohio while in high school I worked at the county fairgrounds as a groom/stall mucker for Standardbred race horses. It was my job for school. School half day then to work. I learned a lot. Not a harness person myself but you can never learn too much about horses. We moved to Fla. I worked at a horse community (several small private farms using one community track) again with Standardbreds that came down from Canada and the northern states to train and condition out of the snow region. They'd go back up north about April.

I second the therapeutic riding center volunteering idea. There's a really nice facility out here I've been meaning to go put some time in at.

Why don't you just take lessons?

So, for next fall and maybe part of winter, like an after-school activity, I want to do something with horses? :questionicon::smilie:

most stalls are mucked out in the morning, not late afternoon. With darkness coming so early horse's are brought in early . Most people won't let someone just come in and exercise horse's and if you get that dream job, riding it quickly becomes boring. My daughter had a riding summer job and 8 hours a day on horse's quickly looses it's appeal.

Get a real job if you want to work There is no money in working at a horse barn.

If you are walking horse's in and out which would mean the morning that won't work and bringing them in nights means you must be skilled, strong to handle the hard to manage horse's and again are you qualified to handle all types of horses??