Sign in to follow this  
Lee Ann Orr

Quality Feed For Putting And Keeping Weight On

I'm looking for a good quality feed to give to a 10 year old Quarter horse that doesn't hold his weight on hay alone in the winter. He gets all the good quality grass hay he wants, and currently nothing else. He's worked 2-4 days, depending on the weather. He has no teeth issues, or any other health problems. He just needs more calories than the hay can provide.

And him becoming overweight, I don't think is an issue. Currently (summer) he is on 24/7 turnout on pasture and stays in great condition, whereas our others get fat so quickly and need grazing muzzles.

First, can you feed him a more nutritious hay, like a 50% alfalfa at least?

If then he needs more calories, you can add some high fat feed and beet pulp if he has not problems with hot calories, you could also add some oats.

If then he needs more calories, you can add some high fat feed and beet pulp if he has not problems with hot calories, you could also add some oats.

Yes, I can do alfalfa. Do you think that would work?

Yes, I can do alfalfa. Do you think that would work?

It is a good place to start. Alfalfa hay has a higher calorie and protein value then grass hay

ya i 2nd on the alfalfa or you can also try Ricebran..... my mare lives on the alfalfa pellets in the summer time...On a feed I really likes Straghegy healthy Edge had a gelding that was tuff keeping weight on this feed helped...i also upped his hay as well but sense your horse is on pasture 24/7 that part isnt an issue.....My mare is on alfalfa pellets bluebonnet senior feed rice bran and gets 6lbs of hay morning and night and she is nice

I have a horse just like him, except he is 28, it can be tough to figure out.

Teeth, worms, ulcers, poor digestive system. Best to have a vet do a thorough physical, including cbc, and other blood work.

What feeds you have available, makes a huge difference on what someone recommends.

He might be dealing with ulcers. ulcers can go unnoticed on some horses during the grassy months. Once the grass is gone to sooth their stomach, they start losing weight.

He is also old enough that a quality problotic might help his digestive tract.

Horse keeping is not as easy as it was 20 years ago, thus the reluctance for anyone to reply. In this day and age, horses need the vet to eliminate things first :smilie:

I think feeding horses today is more difficult because of 2 things....1) so many choices of products and opinions. 2) Horses are living a lot longer...living past there body's designed functionality....which is awesome, because we get to enjoy them longer. The challenge is finding that right mix that works for you and your horse.

Check the manure of your horse....put a big chunk in a glass pickle jar full of water....make sure that when you collect it you catch it as it falls, or eliminate the part that hit the dirt. Add water and shake....let it sit for a day or so in a cool area. Look at it the next day....several thing to look for...1 - size of the forage that is floating at top....if it is really big and not well broken up this is a sing of poor mastication (chewing).....get a GOOD Dental Vet out to check the teeth....Doing teeth is a lot of physical work and takes special training, skills, tools, etc and is not cheap, but will save you a lot in the long run.... a 20 year old horse needs to be checked at least once a year, maybe twice as the teeth change radically during this age.

If at the bottom you see sand or dirt....you need to treat with a Psyllium product....bran will not do the job by itself.

Increase protein as mentioned above...Alfalfa Hay is great, in moderation.

Feed a complete supplement that has Probiotics in it not just Yeast.

Increase energy if needed....gradually....Stabilized rice bran is good. Renew Gold is awesome with Flax Seed, Coconut Oil, etc.