JulieAnneMoore

Mounted Shooting (Photos)

They are trying to start a Mounted Shooting Club in my province, New Brunswick, Canada.

I tagged along to photograph the first clinic.

I missed the first day were they covered gun safety, how the guns worked, and practiced firing from the ground to get use to the guns and desensitize their horses from the ground.

Here are photos from the second day when they mounted up and started firing the guns while riding.

They used foam cat toys as earplugs for the horses. Some wore fly bonnets to keep from shaking the toys out of their ears.

10414611_657407717671626_506021550243262

Champ was not impressed with his ear plugs, but did not try to shake them out. Just had 'broken' ears.

The clinician started by riding around shooting the balloons while the other riders followed to desensitize the horses while under saddle.

10305410_658446317567766_706829552488302

Then the fun begun when the riders started shooting the balloons. All the horses were new at mounted shooting. Some just jumped a little, others balked, and a few bolted backward from the sound. But overall most did amazing for their first time.

1908040_658440797568318_3982625392773386

10415729_658441110901620_356637081205151

10304502_657413424337722_656313282376462

10411339_658441940901537_562166953210505

10347617_658442184234846_621828297210519

10271494_658442340901497_511854374841809

(More to come)

1385349_658442614234803_8239507236872859

10314749_658442687568129_426288269708337

10441119_658442764234788_905024415335680

One rider did not want to shoot off her horse, but the clinician saw potential in the horse and asked to try it. It was amazing to watch!
10174809_658428390902892_252947222823971

Swiching guns

10296997_658430620902669_206139433728077

10291767_657360244343040_239147319266721

I love the falling gun in this shot. Not sure if you are disqualified when a gun is dropped.

They were all telling me I should participate next time with Lacey. I have never handled a gun in my life and I am not sure what Lacey would think of the whole thing. She is fast to desensitize to new things so she may do well.

Have any of you ever tried mounted shooting? If any of you were given the oppertunity would you try it?

Edited by SohCahToa

The club here is called the Myakka Outlaws. I go watch them often. I can tell you this, it's one of those things that once you start you get hooked on! Every rider I know loves it. If I was 10 years younger I would try it. Everyone I know that shoots has had gun experience so If you have little or no experience in handling guns I would highly recommend you take a few classes in gun safety and shooting.This is our local club:

http://video.heraldtribune.com/video/2157534926001#gsc.tab=0

Edited by Floridacracker

Seen demos at The Mane Event.

If my husband was younger, maybe I would get him into it, as it might have him riding more outside of hunting season, allowing him to combine his gun interest into another horse activity, LOL!

I like seeing horses used in that event without that tiedown

Great pictures! I want to do this so bad. I think it would be great fun and combine two things that we love to do, shoot and ride.

I have not found anything anywhere close to us so am gathering information about the hows and whys. I may try to start something when I get a little closer to retirement. We have plenty of room at our place and there are several private arenas close by that would suit.

thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

What are they firing out of the guns?? And don't say bullets ?? It would be totally unsafe and illegal. I have a gun permit and they don't come easy. If you were actually firing bullets every one of you would be in danger, every one would need a special permit and shooting in a arena would not be a safe backstop and certainly not firing off a horse. People would be shot left and right

So what are you shooting?? A wad cutter, paper, blanks so you need to be real close to break the ballon?

Any dead horses or people laying around??

Real guns can not be carried in Canada unless in a locked box, going to the club and shooting with a totally controlled environment with a range officer.

I believe they use blanks, which is one of the reasons they have to be fairly close to the balloon. They have a pretty short range 20-30 feet I think.

Hopefully someone who actually does this can chime in with specifics.

Some guns were blanks others gun power.

You had to be with 20feet of the balloon, still very dangerous if pointed at the horse.

Range official was needed and the clinician had to be close to those not registered to carry a gun.

The only photo that worried me is the lady leading a horse while a young girl out of position on her horse while she was shooting. That was dangerous.

There are at least two magazines on Cowboy Mounted Shooting. I've purchased and read one of them (sorry can't remember) then gave it to a friend who is now participating in a shooting group. These sites will give you information and will give you access to clinics and groups to help you with this sport.

http://www.shootmagazine.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting.html

http://cmsa-rundown.com/

http://cowboymountedshootingtoday.com/http:

//www.westernshootinghorse.com/jcontent/

In the US you can learn gun handling,safety and the correct way to shoot through an NRA program. Any place that sells guns will have the names/numbers for local education programs.

We ride in some areas that could have hunters; so I've used the following information to desensitize my horses to the sound, sight and scent of gunfire.

If you want to desensitize your horse to the sound use a stock whip, small fire crackers or a kids cap guns (where legal), party poppers that shoot streamers into the air or those snap poppers you throw on to the ground..

For sight try those cheap water balloons and use a long needle to pop them so your horse gets used to seeing bits of balloon scattered into the air.

I tie plastic bags to the fences to get my horses used to things moving & flapping. You can do this and when they are ignoring the bags use binder clips close and attach partially filled balloons to the fences while you are nearby. Un-clip the balloons and take them in so your horse doesn't try to eat one.

The young girl is actually only using a cap gun. Not even popping the balloons.

She shoot a gun from the ground, but was not ready to do so mounted.

Thanks, I'm glad that it was a just a cap gun!

That one had me very worried. The handler wasn't wearing any sort of eye, head or body protection. If the horse moved and the gun went wide that could have been deadly. If the horse wigged out the handler could have been trampled.

A friend of mine belonged to a professional group that did Old West style tricks using guns filled with blanks.

He did a spin with two six shooter guns on his fingers and when he stuck the guns into the holsters one went off and blew a hole through his boot and the bones of his foot.

It took five surgeries & a year of recovery before he was able to walk.

Blanks can kill if the gun is close enough or goes through the eye into the brain.

Correction it was the blank gun unloaded (not a cap gun).

She knew she was not ready to shoot a gun off her horse, but her mother wanted her to try so she was led the pattern pretending to shoot the balloon and her horse actually spooked once at the empty click sound.

I have shot revolvers with blanks horseback, but not in organized competition such as this. I think it would be a lot of fun and something I will be looking into in the future!

What are they firing out of the guns?? And don't say bullets ?? It would be totally unsafe and illegal. I have a gun permit and they don't come easy. If you were actually firing bullets every one of you would be in danger, every one would need a special permit and shooting in a arena would not be a safe backstop and certainly not firing off a horse. People would be shot left and right

So what are you shooting?? A wad cutter, paper, blanks so you need to be real close to break the ballon?

Real guns can not be carried in Canada unless in a locked box, going to the club and shooting with a totally controlled environment with a range officer.

No, they are not firing live rounds, as the demo was done at the Western, during The Mane Event. Here is the link to an Alberta mounted shooting club, complete with rules, and here is what they use:

Alberta Mounted Shooters Association

Cowboy Mounted Shooting is becoming the fastest growing equine sport in Canada. All Mounted Shooters compete with two .45 calibre single action revolvers loaded with 5 rounds each of special black powder blanks. There are also rilfle and shotgun classes in which to compete

http://www.albertamountedshooters.ca/

here is the safety rules for the Alberta Mounted Shooting association:

http://www.albertamountedshooters.ca/images/stories/MountedShootingSafetyRulesGuidelines.pdf

Edited by Smilie

See you are in Canada. Wish you well in your endevor, and enjoyed both reading, and seeing the post.

This is the ranch we bought our stallion from. http://www.peavyhorses.com/index.html

They are very active in mounted shooting, in their area. Be sure to read the Canyon Cowgirl http://www.peavyhorses.com/CanyonCowgirl.html

Here she is in action.

For those who don't know, Scottish Hand was our family Christmas present in 2013. We were so pleased to see his 2014 foal from their ranch.

Edited by Indianshuffler

I was given a solid APHA mare that was a Mounted Shooting horse. Sounds don't bother her but very sensitive to her body being touched. Our neighbors were gun collectors and on weekends would try out their newest purchase. I have 5 other horses besides. The first day of sounding like a war zone the horses were very attentive. Watching , moving around their paddocks , snorting. The Paint mare just grazed away. The next day the rest just raised their heads once in awhile. Eventually they stopped looking all together. The gun proofed my horses for me. LOL I do crack whips around them too.

I was given a solid APHA mare that was a Mounted Shooting horse. Sounds don't bother her but very sensitive to her body being touched. Our neighbors were gun collectors and on weekends would try out their newest purchase. I have 5 other horses besides. The first day of sounding like a war zone the horses were very attentive. Watching , moving around their paddocks , snorting. The Paint mare just grazed away. The next day the rest just raised their heads once in awhile. Eventually they stopped looking all together. The gun proofed my horses for me. LOL I do crack whips around them too.

:happy0203: :happy0203: Free training is always a good thing! :happy0203: :happy0203:

We have an idiot about 3/4 of a mile away who shoots off hundreds of rounds of ammo the first of every month (when his check arrives). The valley curves away from my house but the sound echoes so much it sounds like it's on my land.

Sienna (MFT) is very auditory and the first few rounds from each different gun or rifle had her head up and snorting.

Now, she just goes about her business and ignores it.

She isn't a big fan of the sulfur smell from a cap gun (who is) but she is fine with the entire process.

When I pop a balloon with a pin she swings her head towards the sound, but her hooves never move.

I'm working on getting her used to the noise of a marching band since the idiots at our local Christmas parade seem to think that placing equestrian groups between the four rival high school bands is a great idea. :thud:

I have silver & brass chimes hanging in the trees outside of her pen for sound and sunlight flashing off of metal. She is used to a CD of Marching music too.

This is the funniest thingI have read lately. If you don't know anything about the sport, then maybe try to google it to answer some questions, before making these statements. lol

Do you really think that they would use live guns and bullets? lol