Sign in to follow this  
horsecrazybvh

Rode My First Mule!

And I am hooked! Back in January we came across a fellow that was keeping an old mule in a pretty bad enclosure. The mule was skinny as could be with horrid feet. And that morning the mule had broken into the grain and ate a lot of it. The owner wanted him gone, so my dad took him home.

He is in his 30's with very bad teeth. But after a good dentist and farrier visit, he is really turning around. He is still quite Ribby, but he has filled out a lot. I threw a saddle and bridle on him on sunday and hopper on for a ride. His brakes are not very good, but with a little tuning up, he will be great for my husband, who has no equine experience at all.

I do not really have many pictures, but I may attempt to post some this evening.

And oh my, do his big floppy ears ever melt your heart when you are riding him. He is a very gently guy, but he is also rather mischievous, and has no problem hoping the gate to eat the grass in my dads yard.

You can't mention pictures and not deliver! Where are they? :)

Sounds like he's fitting in nicely, I'm so glad he found you guys.

sorry for the delay. Hubby got his flight canceled so I had to drive to the airport in the middle of the night, and then go to another airport to pick our car up the next day. Been hectic!

DSC05279_zps79697b91.jpg

DSC05249_zps6a925c87.jpg

These are two for now from when we first got him. Yes I know his halter is all jacked up, my dad had put it on upside down! Lol. It is fixed now though. :blink: PB is working on uploading a couple more that I have, but it might be a little while.

I can't believe I missed this when you first posted it!

I can't see the pics form this computer but will look at them when I get home. 30 is not as old for a mule as for a horse, they live an average of 10 years longer than a horse.

I too love the floppy ears on a mule. They mean a relaxed mule that is content with his/her job! I love how they flop differently on different mules too. Some go back and forth, some around in circles and some do both or one ear does one and the other something else!

Love, love, love my long ears! Welcome to the club.

I rode a mule once who's ears were horizontal for the entire ride.

He was very lazy and I was joking with my husband that he just couldn't be bothered to pick them up!

Hopefully I can go up this weekend and get updated pictures. He is such a little turd muffin, and has not been very photogenic thus far!

He is a fairly nice ride, he needs some tuning up on turning and stopping, and catches on to me very quickly. As soon as he sees the saddle he goes through the human door of the barn, down the steps and tries to hide in a stall!

And he shed out to a gorgeous summer coat, so sleek and shiny! Right now we are on the fence with him though...my husband and I are moving 7 hours away. If we get the land I will be taking my doofus of a paint...and my old retired (bad hip) horse will be staying behind to live out his life on my dads pastures. He hates being alone, so I am thinking about leaving the mule as well. My dad is comfortable with the mule and would be able to ride and enjoy him.

Waiting for updated pictures! Cool that your dad would be good with you leaving him. Mules and horses do well together.