Sign in to follow this  
LanaT

I Rode My Horse In The Parade :)

I got an invite to ride Momma horse in the 4th of July parade, I was so excited, it was like Christmas to me. We did some preparation with her, I worked on keeping her calm even when being spooked. I actually rode her from my house to the start of the parade. About 15 minutes after I got their she did have a strong desire to bolt so I just walked her around on the grass for a bit while we waited for everyone else to arrive. A soon as the other riders arrived she was an angel. We were only about 4 floats behind the fire trucks which were spraying the crown with water and had their sirens on. Nothing even fazed her, all the floats were throwing candy, there were about 1000 plastic grocery bags, as every single kids had one to collect candy in. I was so proud of her.

2014-07-04102924_zps595d3c59.jpg

2014-07-04103547_zps975129b6.jpg

2014-06-27200324_zps36bccc83.jpg

Also, a few weeks ago my husband gave me the money for a new saddle..... I LOVE IT!!!

2014-06-24135112_zps904d852a.jpg

2014-06-25110136_zpsc270993b.jpg

I took Momma so she could try it on and we could ride in it to make sure both of us were comfortable.

I have a good life :)

Edited by LanaT

Another exciting thing is that I've been working on teaching Momma to canter, we are doing it in the round corral until she's comfortable. She has really struggled with this, but here's my progress, I'm quite pleased.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Lana_Arthur/media/2014-06-27201302_zps0bce7a3b.mp4.html

Edited by LanaT

So glad you had fun at the parade. Nice saddle. I too rode in the local parade yesterday. It was the first time in 2 1/2 years that I have ridden. I have had some pretty bad health issues. It was fun even though I did get stuck when I was dismounting. I couldn't get my leg lifted up high enough, but a friend helped me. My Charlie was a very good boy too. No spooking or acting crazy. Except for the horse beside me. She kept backing up to us trying to double barrel poor Charlie. Thankfully I got him to get away from her.

So when will you be in the next parade?

Lana, Glad your parade ride went well, there is always a chance of anything happening in that situation, you had your mare looking good, & looks like you enjoyed yourself, & you stayed calm, that help keep Momma calm also. Been years since I rode in a parade, the first horse I rode in a parade was a 2 year old filly that had just 30 days on her, she did fine without incident, my daughter rode her mother, with me that time, it was first parade experience for all of us. Again glad things went well. Best Wishes. PD

:yay::yahoo::yay:Yeah Lana & Momma!

The two of you have become an incredible team!

You should be very proud of Momma and very proud of all the training you've done with her!

:jump: :jump: Goatmom! You got to have fun and ride Charlie!!

I am thrilled that your feeling better!! :notworthy:When are you going to ride your lovely boy again?

Some of the members of my horse club rode in the Folsom Rodeo Parade and Cattle Drive on Wednesday (July 2nd). The members ride with the cattle to keep them from running off or wandering into the yards of nearby houses. Four years ago one longhorn went to visit a preschool and had to be roped and led away. I was working and couldn't ride. We did go the club potluck after the parade and check out the horses of all the other equestrian groups who participated. There were two helicopters that were buzzing the area. We were speculating that they were hoping for another runaway steer. We did wave at them as they flew overhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNf__AhK8pU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwMs2u2Zx0

Edited by dondie

Your mare is looking good and happy. What did you do with her daughter?

Jubal, we sold her to a guy that trains race horses. I figured he had what it takes to make her a good horse, I certainly didn't :)

Thank you everyone, it was a lot of fun. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Lana

You guys are so lucky to have parades in your towns that allow riders. We use to many years back and then they banned horses. We hauled over to Arcadia when the rodeo was held on the 4th but that was along time ago. It was a blast and great BBQ. All we got now is the parade for the Grand Prix powerboats. Great pictures and like how the paint was sporting the colors too!

We do have a couple of towns that don't want horses in their parades. Mainly because of the round grass droppings the horses seem to leave behind. I am planning on another parade on August 15th. There is a breakfast trailride before the parade that day. It goes along with the rodeo that my saddle club puts on.

Our parade organizer's enlisted a few young teenage boys to follow us in a 4-wheeler. They were equipped with a large bucket and a shovel, and promptly cleaned up any horse droppings. I was quite impressed that they accepted the job. :yahoo: