MissMotherNature

Asking For Thoughts And Prayers( Surgery Over Some Complications)

Hello Horsecity!

Its been a long time since I have been on this forum. I know that horsecity is filled with wonderful people so I htouhg I would ask for some thoughts and prayers to get me through surgery this friday. I am having a major spinal surgery that will consist of a lengthy recovery. I have spina bifida and currently have a tethered cord with a few other complications(split cord syndrome with a bone spur between split, cysts in spinal cord increasing in size, newly fused vertebrae and recently diagnosed with arachnoiditis)

This will be my 3rd surgery and I am hoping that it will give me some relief for some time. My last spinal cord detethering lasted 7 years and I am praying that this one will go longer than that. Any type of surgery on the spinal cord has its risk but due to the tethering I have not been able to ride in months and am having many debilitaiting symptoms of the tetherd cord. I am ready to get back to myself and be able to do my job with less restrictions on me.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you would.

MMN

Edited by MissMotherNature

You have them, MMN...

I am happy to tell you that 7 years up the road you will have access to better technology.

Though it is a serious procedure, the rewards of a successful outcome more than justifies the risks.

My sincere hope is that this will eventually put you back on a horse where you belong.

:smilie:

Sending you :wub: LOVE, :huggy: HUGS, and :angel3: PRAYERS that this is the one that will give you the relief you so deserve!

Let us know how it goes! :smileywavey: and don't be a stranger!

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

MMN, :huggy:

Just know there will be many thoughts & prayers coming your way on Friday. Do hope this surgery works for you, & you can get back to enjoying a more normal activities in the future :angel3::huggy::angel3: . So God Bless & Best Wishes. PD

I hope your surgery went well and that you are feeling better and better everyday. When you are up to it, please post an update and let us all know how you are doing. I will keep you in prayer and hope for a speedy, healthy road to recovery. I have had some major spinal surgeries involving fusions and rod implantation so I know that its a slow, sometimes frustrating road but each little step along the way in one step closer to where you want to be. Hang in there and know that lots of people are praying for you and thinking of you.

:angel3: Prayers for a very successful surgery

:angel3: For a very rapid recovery

:angel3: That soon you will be happily riding down the trail on your horse with a big smile on your face!

Hoping all went well, I am seeing this after your surgery, so praying and sending well wishes for your recovery.

Surgery over and I am glad to be feeling better now that I am home. Surgeon did dethether what she could but does not feel it will easy my pain. I have arachnidosis it is the major problem and is worse than the MRI suggested. So much of it I still do not understand but I am writing a list of questions for my next checkup. If anyone has any advice on it I welcome it. My pain was not managed and I think I blocked out a lot. Luckily I had a lot of wonderful family there for me and they were my voice and I so needed that. I was very disappointed with the care I received at times but was amazed by some nurses kindness and understanding others not so much. I am home but am still in a lot of pain but I felt I could get better care by my family than by the hospital. I think that is sad because ICU was the WORST! I was going to go to rehab but was scared I would experience the same thing there. I had bladder bowel and nerve complications. My nerves are all balled up and they said that nothing could be done. I will walk but maybe not be be able to come off a walker. That really scares me but I will get through this. I am just venting my concerns and mean no disrespect to those who have the same or worse complications. I do not mean to whine but I am scared that my life is going to change so much. I am doing my best and have had only one very negative day. I would type forever on my experience but I need to rest again. I am sure I will be back to tell more. Thank you for listening.

MMN

I have been wanting an update on you. So sorry to hear you had complications. Don't allow the Dr's prognosis to set the standard for your recovery and quality of life.

Please give Therapy a chance! I had PT for nerve pain and it did wonders for me.

I know this sounds far fetched and most people never connect the foods we eat to pain and suffering, but, a healthy clean diet can have a profound effect on pain management.

The modern diet has over processed, chemical laden, toxic and GMO products that cause irritation and inflammation to joints, tissue, bowel, nerves etc.

Eliminating them from my diet and eating clean, non processed, organic, non GMO foods helped eliminate my arthritis and my back pain caused by nerve damage/muscle spasms.

A clean healthy diet doesn't always eradicate pain where there is irreversable damage, but it certainly can improve quality of life.

i know a guy who had such severe rheumatoid arthritis that just buttoning up his jeans was an act of torture. meds didn't help, so he started reading up on alternative remedies. he went vegan two years ago, and i met him last year in september when a bunch of uswent to see a musical and his wife dragged him along. this guy walks (at 67) like a ballet dancer, is now completely pain free and takes no meds.

there is something to that saying "you ARE what you eat". best wishes for a satisfactory recovery. i'm really happy that you have such supportive family members!!

Nick, a majority of people who follow the Whole30 Anti-inflammatory autoimmune protocol diet see the same results as your friend.

I would like to take that statement even further to say "we are what our food eats".

I'm not a vegetarian, I eat clean (hormone/antibiotic, sugar-free) animal/egg protein that is humanly raised and slaughtered that is free range grass fed and or non GMO vegetarian diet without grains. It keeps me pain-free and I've had a 50 lb. weight loss over a 6 month period.

My wish is to see a swing away from trusting pharmaceuticals for health, to eating healthy organic foods to prevent and cure what ails us.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I am feeling better every day and that makes me so happy! My goal is to get back to where I was before surgery I was in pain but not like this. I could function with what I had but I did it for the possibility that I would be able to ride again. According to PATH the orginization that I am certified with a tethered cord is a contraindication. Going against the rules I have for my clients could cost me my certification. It is selfish of me to want to ride but I wanted to try and make it a possibility again. We will see where this goes. I think I have taken it a little hard initially but I need to do more research and find out what I can and cannot do. However, if I never ride again the horses I have now are my babies and I want to keep them.

My goal is to get back to where I was at physically I could walk with moderate pain but did have balance issues at times. My job was getting really hard on me and I was adding more and more limitations on things I could not do or help with. I am taking a break from work at the barn but will hhelp with the admin things from home.

One side effect of the surgery was decreased feeling of my bowel and a neurogenic bladder. I am having to try to do a bowel training regimen and self cathaterize often, I cannot urninate on my own at all. I know I can get through this as I am already regaining some feeling and my legs are getting stronger.

Thank you everyone for listening. Sometimes you just need to put stuff down and then I feel better about what I am dealing with.

Nick, a majority of people who follow the Whole30 Anti-inflammatory autoimmune protocol diet see the same results as your friend.

I would like to take that statement even further to say "we are what our food eats".

I'm not a vegetarian, I eat clean (hormone/antibiotic, sugar-free) animal/egg protein that is humanly raised and slaughtered that is free range grass fed and or non GMO vegetarian diet without grains. It keeps me pain-free and I've had a 50 lb. weight loss over a 6 month period.

My wish is to see a swing away from trusting pharmaceuticals for health, to eating healthy organic foods to prevent and cure what ails us.

a big fat "YES!!" to this post.

miss mother nature, even if it's a long road to getting back into the saddle there is tons of fun stuff to do from the ground while you're getting there. best wishes for a satisfactory recovery!