Greenhaven

Dog Emergency Or Not?

We have no idea what happened, with this dog it could have been any number of things. Looking back we were seeing symptoms as early as qlate morning, but now, at nearly 8 pm, she can hardly walk.

She was sleeping at dinner time, and she struggled HARD to get up. Sat up fine, struggled to stand. I did not ask her to sit for food, but she did anyway. Laid down, in fact, close enough to eat.

Some palpation revealed flinching when we lightly pressed her hips.

I gave her coated aspirin a couple hours ago but she is still really hurting. We have to help her up. She was fine this morning.

So do I call the vet now? Wait 24 hrs? Wait until Monday?

Wont hurt to call now, will it? They can probably ascertain whether its an immediate emergency or something that can wait. Hard to say without knowing more details, i.e. age, prior history, etc

We called the vet, she just kept getting worse even after we gave her some coated aspirin. (No buffered at pharmacy.) He met us at the clinic and examined her right in the truck. His main concern was nerve impingement, but he seemed to think she was alright to watch for a few days. Gave her a hefty steroid shot and sent her home with some Rimadyl.

We are waiting ( and hoping) for a big dramatic improvement by tomorrow, even though she will stillneed to take it easy. A slipped disk or some such is still a very real possibility.

She is a three year old, 80 lb. lab mix, a go, go, go ( and go some more) kind of dog. Everything is her favorite, lol! She easily could have fallen on the deck stairs, orplayed too hard with her brother, or been too eager to turn a corner on the laminate floor.

On an excitememt scale of one to ten she is about an eleven in the car, so for her to need lifting into the truck amd then just lay there was very disturbing.

i had a border collie who displayed these kinds of symptoms after getting broadsided at full speed by a mastiff. he was about the same age and needed about a week to recover--no slipped disk--just trauma sort of like falling off your horse and landing akwardly.

what would help is if you have the possibility to take her swimming (she's a lab right? great and fun therapy), and for her and YOUR back have a simple ramp for her to walk up into the truck. lifting her isn't so great for either one of you---hard to lift an 80lb dog "gracefully".

get well soon!!

She is much better today, yay! Steroid had its desired effect. Now slow, steady improvement is our goal.

i had a border collie who displayed these kinds of symptoms after getting broadsided at full speed by a mastiff. he was about the same age and needed about a week to recover--no slipped disk--just trauma sort of like falling off your horse and landing akwardly.

what would help is if you have the possibility to take her swimming (she's a lab right? great and fun therapy), and for her and YOUR back have a simple ramp for her to walk up into the truck. lifting her isn't so great for either one of you---hard to lift an 80lb dog "gracefully".

get well soon!!

Interesting, our other dog is a mastiff mix! When they play, they play HARD. I am surprised nothing has happened sooner. And really hoping it is nothing so serious as a disk or fractured pelvisYeah, we already discussed a ramp if she needed to back to the vet. I have my own back troubles and dh goes out of town today for a few days.

We live ten minutes from Lake Michigan, so as long as conditions are safe there are plenty of places to swim. I will give her a couple more days to see steady improvement before I take her out there.

What about Lyme?? My young Aussie mix was paralyzed in 3 legs this spring from it. Almost bit my vet when he palpated his hips.

Both my dogs are positive for Lyme and underwent intensive screening and antibiotic treatment this spring, even though we have always been faithful with their Frontline. Vet brought it up and when we shared that he felt confident ruling that out as cause. Really good call,though! WNV and Lyme definitely crossed my mind.

Glad to hear you had the vet check things out and that there is improvement today. Back issues really scare me. Things can go south really fast. If there is a chance that a disk is involved, crate rest is usually recommended. I've had a few dogs go thru this and after a week or so of restricted activity and rest, they are fine. Hope your doggie is feeling better soon.

We called the vet, she just kept getting worse even after we gave her some coated aspirin. (No buffered at pharmacy.) He met us at the clinic and examined her right in the truck. His main concern was nerve impingement, but he seemed to think she was alright to watch for a few days. Gave her a hefty steroid shot and sent her home with some Rimadyl.

Ugh.....please keep a very close eye on this dog's appetite & stools. Steroids plus aspirin plus Rimadyl is a dandy mixture for gastric ulcers.

Ugh.....please keep a very close eye on this dog's appetite & stools. Steroids plus aspirin plus Rimadyl is a dandy mixture for gastric ulcers.

That is exactly what the vet said, so we started a five-day regimen of Pepcid. Plus, he told me to hold off on the Rimadyl until we saw what effect the steroid would have. Since it is going (has went) so well I am not giving the Rimadyl.

Ok. :) Glad to see that was covered!!

Thanks a ton, so awesome to know there are pros like you to back us all up! Appreciate you, Dina, and all the rest of my HC board buddies.