Sign in to follow this  
*Smokum*

Suddenly Stiff And Sore?

My 23yo gelding is all of a sudden very stiff and sore. Noticed it last night as they were going out to pasture for the night, did a quick once over and didn't see anything glaringly obvious like abscess, swelling, or heat so gave him the night and would re-evaluate in the morning. Morning comes and he was walking like a 90 year old man, shook like a 16yo dog, he was trying to get flies on his sides today but couldn't reach. Has more flexibility to the right than the left. No heat in his hooves to indicate laminitis or abscess brewing.

Vet and trimmer are coming out on Thursday. He is due for a trim at 8 weeks since last one, but I don't expect that to cause this. He is UTD on WNV, Eastern and Western Enceph. neither horses have been exposed to other horses. I did stretches and I heard his neck crack and shoulder crack so I don't know if he tweaked something rolling or what happened, but I'm sad for my old man :(

Lymes was brought up during my call to the vet so we will test him for that, but we haven't had any ticks in 2 months now, he is eating and drinking just not as vigorously. Anything I'm missing?

I have lots of "stiffness" issues with my 19 yr. old gelding. Since he had WNV he has had muscle spasms regularly....mostly in his neck. There are times when I have ridden him and he seemed fine, but I'd get to the stable a couple of days later, and he'd come out of the stall as if he was on stilts, but most of the time he'd walk out of it. There are times that I suspect that he might get cast in the stall, but gets himself out of it, in the process, hurting himself. Therefore, we are not always with our horses, so who knows what they do when we aren't present. If my horse can get himself into trouble, and hurt himself, he always finds a way. There are those horses who never get hurt and stay out of trouble most of the time. I use a chiropractor several times a year, which has helped him since he was sick with WNV about 2006 or 2007. If your horse doesn't improve with hand walking, turn out, or rest and the vet can't find anything, I'd think about using a chiro or massage therapist. Keep us posted!!

I did more stretches and gave him some banamine oral paste for muscle/joint pain last night and 2 hours after he seemed a bit more perky. This morning he was walking fairly normal but still did not want to trot to come in for treats like he usually does. Feeding time this evening and he came trotting in like nothing happened. So relieved! I am still having the vet out in the morning because I need bute and want to discuss arthritis management for this winter. During the really cold spells he seemed uncomfortable and was in pain during trims, so hopefully there is something I can give him when he really needs the edge taken off.

Will update after vet appt. :)

Who knows what he did. It's hard to imagine that he put himself in a situation where he fell, he's kinda a lazy guy and it is dry ground, but maybe. My horses are at home and I'm a stay at home mom so even though I don't see everything that goes on, I can spot things right away when they're wrong.

I find myself getting worried more easily as he ages. He is my heart horse. :wub:

Smokum.... You should really try Adequan. I love it! It has done wonders for my dog and Czar. I like that it goes where its needed. Works so much better than the oral supplements and if you do the math, is actually cheaper. I was advised to do the 7 shot series 2x a year. My animal chiropractor for Ike and Czar was amazed at how much better they are moving.

Both have arthritis, Ike is more progressed. He actually went from not wanting to do ANYTHING and laying under the deck to wanting to go do chores with me again and herding the ducks.

You know where I am if you have any questions.. :)

Thanks Burgie, I was actually wanting to save the Adequan for when the oral supplements quit working, I think it's time :)

I immediately thought of Lyme Disease too - I've seen what that can do to a horse personally. (The poor animal didn't even want his nose petted, and this was a horse that was normally all for that).

Negative lymes, right and left front lameness. Did a palmar digital nerve block on each to rule out any hoof related lameness (to be sure it was not navicular or laminitis or anything within the hoof capsule) with no change. She noted calcified colateral cartilage which wouldn't help any but based on this she thought he had arthritis higher up (which is what I suspected) and best bet was to get him on a bute regimen to keep him comfortable, there's not much you can do for the older guys except keep them comfortable. Hocks seemed fused which I was expecting but no lameness in hind besides a shorter range of motion. See how the bute works for him and go from there as far as adding adequan or not. Keeping him moving by light exercise 3x a week either longing or a short ride around the field.

Trimmer was coming out tonight also but had a migraine so rescheduled for Monday.

So... My poor baby is getting old :mecry:

Yeah, arthritis is pretty much normal at that age. Poor old guy. Consider BL if it works for him - fewer systematic effects than bute - but at that age he's likely to die of something else long before any cumulative effects show up from the bute.