Sign in to follow this  
howdydoody

Mare Bagging Up And Producing Liquid, Easily Milked?

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but here is background:

She is 6 years old, I've owned her since she was born. About 2 years ago, I inherited a shetland pony "gelding", who last year dropped a ball and it was determined that he is a cryptorchid. I also have another mare and no way to separate. I am trying to save money for the $1000+ gelding procedure, but I have not witnessed any stud like behavior from him whatsoever. He is now 3ish years old.

Yesterday I noticed a bag on my 6 year old mare. She had NEVER done this, and has lived in this pasture for almost 3 years. The other mare does not have a bag. The 6 year old has never been bred, never been around a stud except for the shetland. She is 15.1 hands tall and he is barely to my hip (and I am 5 feet tall.). Today I was able to easily squirt liquid out of both her teats.....clear and slightly salty. (Yes, I tasted it. Don't judge. LOL!)

I have researched that some plants can cause a mare to bag up, but does it cause them to produce liquid? Also, wouldn't it cause both mares to do this? There are two other mares across the road from my herd, but neither of them are bred, or recently had foals within the past 2 years. Yes, I'm taking her to the vet tommorrow afternoon, but I have been worried since yesterday. If she was bred by the shetland, she would literally have to have laid down for him. There are no hills, ditches, even a picnic table in my pasture, and she could not have squatted down that far.

Ideas?

Oh, and I have not witnessed her coming into heat, but that is not unusual. She has always been very modest about her heat cycles, and i normally don't notice.

$1k+ seems excessive for a cryptorchid gelding procedure, unless the quote is deliberately inflated due to the unknown nature of how invasive the surgery would need to be.

As a resource, you could look up GERL's (Georgia Equine Rescue League) Stallion to Gelding Day. This is an event where veterinarians pool together and castrate stallions in central locations around the state and the cost of the procedure for owners can be as low as $50. Perhaps your Shetland could be done at one of their events. Can't hurt to inquire and it could save you some money.

I have called multiple clinics within a 4 hour drive of my location and have received quotes up to $1500. It was a good idea to check with the equine rescue league, I haven't thought of that. I had considered rehoming him, but I didn't want to pass along the problem.

Any ideas on the mare? Even my vet thinks its unlikely that she is bred, although we all know its possible. I'm just worried.

Will find out this afternoon I guess.

I have cell photos of her bag and vulva. If I can figure out how to post them, I will. The inside of her vuvla is a deep red around the rim and it doesn't wipe off....its the skin color. This mare's dam didn't do that from my recollection.

I'm counting the hours. Still an hour and a half before I can leave work. I'm trying to play with my phone and get the pics on photobucket or something.

A line from a Jurassic Park movie is "life will find a way" .... and I firmly believe animals at the mercy of their instinctual and hormonal urgings will find a way to accomplish the goal of reproduction.

I have only had one pregnant mare who foaled and that was in 1988. I'm sorry, I have no experience with this. The best I can offer is to have a vet perform a pregnancy check to determine if you need to prepare, or move her to, a safe and private foaling area. In this matter, I feel you cannot rely on photos and internet opinions, you need facts in order to know if you need to prepare for a foaling, and a veterinarian is the best person to provide that for you.

Best of luck,

h

Edited by Heidi n Q

no personal experience and this could be an 'urban legend', but I have heard of minis breeding a full size mare while she was lying down (obviously in heat)

Since he 'dropped a ball ) last year he would have a testicle out of the abdominal cavity, thus able to have viable sperm

I assume he still has one testicle un accounted for, or the gelding would now be simple

Edited by Smilie

I have witnessed a mini stallion breed a 15.2 hand paint mare, he broke out of his enclosure and she layed down for him. She must've been quite determined to be bred and he was obviously as well to kick down the bottom 2x6 and go through the hotwire that kept him off the wood. So it is entirely possible. Definitely preg check the mare but it is not unheard of for a mare to appear to leak fluid and bag up depending on her cycle and time of year without being pregnant.

Last cryptorchid I know of cost around 500 to do a few years back, one descended one not. 1000-1500 seems quite high but maybe there are higher risks with cryptorchid ponies vs full sized horses? Was one testicle removed previously or do you think nobody saw them so assumed he was gelded already?

Good news! The vet palpated and determined that my mare is NOT pregnant. Just having hormonal issues. Whew!

I am not sure what the deal is with the pony, but I assume he was just called a gelding because he hadn't dropped yet and his coggins pegged him for older than he was. They showed he was 3, when in reality he was a long yearling. The coggins was still good when I got him, and since I wasn't planning on taking him anywhere, I wasn't as concerned when it expired. When he dropped the one testicle, i realized he was probably much younger than what was listed (the markings were correct) and took him to the vet. The vet mashed and felt pretty high up in there, but didn't feel the other one. He has not been ultrasounded, but the vet didn't think he has been "gelded" before.

He has NEVER shown any stud like behavior, and still baby mouths at the horses. That is why this had me so confused. I knew it was possible (he IS a stud,) but like everyone else (farrier, vet, etc.) didn't think it was likely......especially since it would have happened last year only shortly after it dropped. I noticed the testicle in July of last year. I am hoping that when I go in to have the surgery with him, the other one either doesn't exist or just falls right on out easier. Yes, it would cost less at that point.

regarding the crypt surgery...it IS expensive. My 'cheap' vet in SD did a crypt surgery for a colt I had, it cost about $600. It involved putting the colt out cold, putting him on the table, and real, involved surgery. So a quote for around $1k might not be too far off anymore, unfortunately, since my vet did this procedure about 10 years ago.

yeah, I've had 3 different crypt surgeries over the years and the cheapest was the one done at 4 days old. His was $600. The others were both about $800