Sign in to follow this  
Margaret Williams

Question For Ntw Experts

I've struggled with the itchies with my young mare pretty much since she was born. This year I have been able to keep it under control with hydroxyzine but she is still rubbing her mane and tail along with all the other normal itchy spots. Just not as bad as in years past.

I just decided to try the NTW treatment I read so much about and did the dd Equimax this morning. Should I stop the hydroxyzine? How will I know that this protocol is effective for her? And how long should it take to see the results?

i have no personal experience with this, but several people at our barn have struggled with this in the summertime. their solution was to put summer blankets on. this is bavaria in southern germany so our conditions are probably very different to yours. the vet's diagnosis was summer eczema (sp?). good luck.

Several years ago, I successfully used the NTW treatment on my young mare. I'd probably continue to use the anti-itch med for another couple weeks as you go through the NTW treatment. I believe the incessant itching is caused by the larvae traveling through the large muscles and as they die off, the body has a reaction to their decomposition until the body is able to absorb and/or clear it all away.

Do a search with these keywords: neck thread worms and chocomare, for her topic at HorseCity. That should bring up a lot of information about Onchocerca and their treatment to help bring comfort to your horse.

I've done quite a lot of reading on this subject, including yours. Was just hoping someone could address the issue of whether or not I need to disco the hydroxyzine. It makes sense to me that I would need to do that but if the de wormer doesn't work I will be left with a bald horse. Again.

IMO, the hydroxyzine has nothing to do with curing the issue of infestation, only treating the major symptom of itching, so I'd continue to use it to keep her comfortable as she goes through the recovery process from treatment and decomposition of the larvae. And, if the treatment doesn't work for her, she's still covered by your continued use of the hydroxyzine.

if you've used the hydroxyzine all this time and it's not cured her yet you know that if she clears up it's not that that did it. Like Heidi said, I'd continue to use it to treat the itchies. I would put in a call to my vet to see if there is an counter indications on using the two meds together just to be sure.