Sign in to follow this  
jackie2925

Would You Or Would You Not?

Stella had her 1st distemper parvo shot last Thursday. I know it's important to expose them to new things early. So I took her in her first walk last night. I did however keep her on the road, no sidewalks, grass, driveways or pats from strangers. No stopping to sniff anything. We kept a very brisk pace as the point was to get her exercise besides the backyard.

I know parvo is very dangerous so would you continue to walk her like this or wait?

Well, she's a little behind on her vaccinations as normally, they'll get the first DA2PP around 6-8 weeks, then again at 10-12 weeks and last at 14-16 weeks. So with that said, were it me, I'd wait til about 2 weeks after she has her second round to be doing much outside the house where other dogs may have been. Of course, ask your veterinarian. "Be careful" means different things to different people so I'd ask for clarification. Dogs do not have to come into contact directly with other dogs to pick up parvo.

Parvo can live on grass, dirt and other surfaces between 1-5 years (depends on the temperatures of where you live & who you ask).

Your pup could be picking up the virus on it's paws & legs as it walks through areas that have been contaminated by parvo. When it licks or rubs it's nose across contaminated areas of it's own body the virus moves into the dog.

My vet, told us to keep all puppies at home for two weeks after the last shot.

Ditto to what Dondie said. My puppy has one more shot to go, and I will be waiting another 2 weeks afterwards before taking her out. Of course she only weighs 2 lbs, so getting her exercise is not hard. LOL.

We live on an Army post and have only been here since April. They are town homes with fenced yards. There's no telling who or what's been in our backyard or the people beside us.

The vet wanted her to get boosters in 3 weeks so that'll be next week.

Parvo sucks and it can be fatal, but far more animals are euthanized in shelters due to behavior problems from lack of socialization and desensitization. Start showing your pup to everything now. Carrying is the most ideal way, but some puppies get very big very quickly and can't be carried. I had our heeler pup out in public after her first round of shots because I know what unsocialized heelers can do and I didn't want to be one of "those owners.

I tell this story a lot, but two of my friends and I had three sisters from the same litter. We all lived on the same property, A and B lived together and I lived across the parking lot. I administered their first two rounds of shots from a feed store I trust. A took her pup to the vet and got it two more rounds. I took my pup to the vet for one more round, and B's pup never had another round. Then, A's pup (after 4 rounds) came down with Parvo, BAD, and we almost lost her. My pup got a fairly mild case, I was able to treat her at home. B's pup, who'd only had 2 feed store rounds? Never got it, never missed a beat.

More recently, I had a litter of pups, two of which I decided to keep. They'd had two rounds of shots when my little male came down with Parvo. He had never left the property, his sister had once, and I'm a stickler for others bringing their dogs near my kennels... I was able to treat CB at home after a visit to the vet, and his sister? Never slowed down, never missed a beat. Because of that they haven't gotten to leave the property since, and at 5 months old are finally getting to be taken out and socialized. And it shows.

So, I'm kind of the opinion that, if they're going to get it, they're going to get it. You have to do what you think is best for your situation and your puppy. Is your puppy a breed that is known for needing intense socialization to be a productive member of society? I raise catahoulas, so yes for me. Or is your dogs breed more of never met a stranger, go with the flow type? Probably not as critical to socialize early.

Also, when I do decide to take puppies out, I try to limit their exposure to places that could be "hot spots" for Parvo. I opt for remote hiking trails over city parks if they need exercise- still new smells, people to say hi to, dirt bikes or horses, etc. But less frequented by puppies. Won't take them to pet stores or pet events, I always have a set of friends on standby with dogs for play dates instead.

No Stella is a belgian malinois and needs LOTS of socialization and exposure. That's why I'm so anxious about getting her out some.

At night most people are inside so she's getting leash time along with cars and barking dogs etc.

Her snapping gator jaws are too much for kids to be petting right now.