Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you could critique my colt named Rascal who was born in May. This is an older photo of him from June. I will try to post more recent photos later. He is out of an AQHA Palomino reining stallion who's sire is Wimpys Little Step. His sire has a great mind and has been successful in the reining pen here in the Northwest. I owned and showed his dam who is a paint. She is one of those rare all around mare's who could win a western pleasure class and run the fastest time in a barrel pattern on the same day. She was extremely versatile and would have excelled in any discipline. I just used her in numerous events for 4H.

So far Rascal is extremely athletic and confident. He loves to gallop around the pasture and seems to naturally perform many rollbacks and stops. He is very quick and catty. I would love for him to be a reining prospect but I'm also thinking he might make a great barrel racing prospect???! I also think he would make a great stallion based on his conformation, he has that lovely trapezoid shape? Would it be an issue that he is a breeding stock paint? He didn't receive any markings from dam who is a loudly colored tobiano.

Here are their pedigrees:

Sire:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/nu+steps+to+cash

Dam:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/smokes+mackay

10495071_312472198915989_802753093819007

10465489_308943199268889_127871827635460

very nice pictures! the germans have a saying "look at your foal at 3 days, 3 months and then 3 years. the rest of the time look away". we have an 18 month old who was very correct at 3 days and 3 months but now looks like the front end doesn't belong to the back end, and that his ears are waaaay too big for his head.

have fun with him--we are with ours! and it's never too soon to start picking up the feet and teach solid tying, leading, ponying, trailer loading and lots of other foundation skills that will make life later harmonious. as our trainer likes to say "it's sooo much EASIER to teach them when they're young, unspoiled and impressonable than when they're big, pushy adolescents.

Thanks everyone, we shall see how he turns out! I'm thinking of registered names... Any suggestions? :smileywavey:

These are the top 2 I've come up with so far.

"Gunsmoke In My Step" and "Lil Gunsmokin Step"

On the dam's side, all I recognize is Mr Gunsmoke, which is a ways back, but where the 'smoke' must have come from.

How about Gunning for Cash ?

Step Hi and Smoke Em

Smokes Cash Bid

Cute colt...well balanced. Seems like he likes to run, which is one of the most important things, that they enjoy doing what it is your asking of them.

In other words, you can't tell unless the horse is properly posed for you?