Sign in to follow this  
Magic26

Flip Flop Shoe - Not Half Shoe

I got more info and the shoe the farrier suggested for my horse and feels is a good shoe for many horses, is called a Flip-Flop shoe. The farrier cuts the metal shoe just after the last nail near the heel and nails the Flip-Flop pad underneath, the plastic pad is about 3/8" thick and provides support to the heel, but is loose, like a flip flop. Said that dirt and stones don't get stuck there, they slide in and out and that shouldb't be a problem. He says it offers good support and that we should be able to go well in this shoe. The farrier supply company said they are usually used on standard bred horses. Our vet is pretty progressive and always looking at new options. I think we are going to try it. It will definitely help so my gelding so he doesn't get another shoe boil.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts to share?

I guess from the silence here, no one has ever used these pads. Farrier came yesterday and put on regular shoes that he shortened and tapered so that they will not stick out from behind his hoof, but does give full support to his heels. The shoe boil has gone down quite a bit, I think we will continue to use the donut for another month and see if it goes down more.

Missy Clare - thank you for the video - it's helpful to see how they fit on the hoof and how they move.

Nick - Horses can get a shoe boil from laying down with their front hoof (and shoes) tucked underneath them, they hit the elbow either wrong, or too many times, I am not sure on that, and the bursa in the elbow swells up. There isn't much to do about it except put a big round donut on around the ankle of the offending hoof so they don't keep hitting it, and hopefully it will go down in size. Zippy's was about the size of a golfball and sprung up overnight. It has gone down considerably in 2 months, but it's still there.

Our 'solution' - The farrier made his front shoes shorter so they do not extend behind his hoof (he has small feet) and also tapered the ends of the shoes so there is a thinner, rounded edge rather than the blunt square edge of a regular shoe. We hope with this new shoeing, it won't happen again!