Sign in to follow this  
Rod

Shoes Anyone?

Been real busy lately. Starting the fall gather. Been leaving before daylight and getting back late.Have helped two neighbors gather sort and process (vaccinate). We help them and they help us, plus we are there to pick up any of our cattle that strayed onto their place. We will start our own gather on the 24th.

This morning I had a little time so I thought I'd trim up the old mare I keep for sentimental reasons ( I don't ride her anymore). She has some soundness issues and I keep her barefoot and trim her every 3 or 4 weeks. When I caught her I

discovered she has shoes on! What the heck!

Well, that sneaky old horse, shoing herself!

Do you have any idea as to who might have shod her and why? Either someone thought they would help her by doing some theraputic shoing, or thought by slapping shoes on the old gal, could use her

That's a sign that either you have too many horses or an over zealous farrier :grin:

Edited by 2pacers

You'll have to keep us updated when you find out answer to your mystery. Best Wishes. PD

PS. Stay safe while gathering all those cattle.

The neighbors that live just down the road called the farrier out on Monday. They were not going to be home but told him to shoe the bay mare. He just went a mile too far down the road.

Thanks funny!

Obviously a farrier your neighbour never used before, or he would have known which place to go to

Edited by Smilie

:rotf: Your neighbors must have been wondering what was taking the farrier so long to show up!

Our new neighbors a couple of miles down the road had an untouched Qtr./Arab that had been left on the property when they moved in years before.

We called Tex our Blacksmith to come to our new house to trim our horses. He showed up two days early, trimmed five horses and set a bill on the doorknob. The problem was we had four horses and a broken gate. So my mom called him and found out that what he thought was one of our horses running down the road so he roped it, hog tied it, trimmed it's hooves then put it back in our corral.

The neighbors offered to pay him for the shoes, but he said that catching and shoeing that horse had been so much fun that he would be back to remove the shoes at no charge. They ended up giving Tex the horse and he turned it into a nice, quiet riding horse.

We'd trained all of our horses to lift up their hoof when given the command "foot" and poor old Tex was bored

Oh my! I had such immediate angry thoughts, glad it was not something nefarious and was just a simple mistake.

Ha, ha! I wonder how often that happens with farriers? Who's going to get the bill?

I would think no bill, as it was the farrier`s mistake, and in fact, lucky that the shoing was on a horse that was okay to shoe, because if someone nailed shoes on Smilie by mistake, I would really be up set, as she is laminitic and does not need that trauma, or peripheral wall loading!

Taking that scenario down another path, what if a vet was told to come and geld a bay stallion, and turned into the wrong yard and gelded someones champion stallion instead

Edited by Smilie

Boy, I'd be ticked if that mistake was made here, since I'm a diehard barefooter. Of course, my horses aren't near any others, and my dogs wouldn't exactly let you just grab a horse either.

I shoe my own and this was the first time for the neighbors to use this farrier. I don't know who pays for it. Not me!