Sign in to follow this  
Tuff N Awesome

Large Breed Puppy Question..please Help.

It's been a while since I had a puppy and I recently adopted what I believe is a French mastiff/lab mix. He's 13 weeks old and weighs 25lbs and is not fat at all. I had a rotty before him that was a rescue that had severe joint problems at 1 year old (damage had been done when I got him at 10 months). Well, because of him I'm now beyond paranoid about possible bone/joint issues with the new guy. I've noticed his front legs splay just a touch sometimes. He was at the vet on Monday and she said his ankles were a touch enlarged but she wasn't worried at all about if. He's been on 4health puppy food for the past 3 weeks. Is that a good food for him or is it terrible? I'd post pics but I have no clue how to do it from my cell phone. Thanks!

I used 4 health on my weiner dogs but they hated it. I use diamond naturals on them. Works perfectly. My gsd only kept weight with diamond.

Check out this website: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

In general, I'd recommend finding a high quality food that is available to you that has LOW protein. You don't want him growing too fast... I'd ignore the whole "puppy" food over quality with a lower protein content.

Also, go ahead and get him on a joint supplement like Cosequin now. I consider it a lifelong necessary supplement for large breeds.

Thanks guys. He's really been flourishing since I put him on the 4 health. I've read in a lot of places that it's not really the protein level, but the calcium/phosphorous ratio to watch. I am on a limited budget so any suggestions of brand to feed that I'm not going to be paying $50/bag for would be great! And does anyone know how to post pictures from mobile? I'd love to show him to you guys