Sign in to follow this  
*Smokum*

Halloween Decorations.

Saw this story on our local news station. There was a guy who put up a Halloween display in his front yard, a man being hung from a tree. Some people became offended that it could represent lynchings and confronted the guy who ultimately took the decorations down but this created quite the stir on FB. Keep in mind that the decorations were hung (pun intended :winking: ) by a man of Asian descent and those offended are African american. What do you think? Are there limits on how far you can go with your decorations, costumes, etc? Do these people really have anything to be offended about or are they being overly sensitive? What do you think about ban on certain costumes in school (no witches, cowboys or indians, masks, or anything overly scary) and do you agree or disagree?

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2014/10/29/n-mpls-halloween-display-taken-down-after-complaints/18141611/

I know growing up anything was fair game. There were your average mild displays, ghosts, witches, spiders, etc. all the way to the most awesome haunted houses with bodies hanging in trees, beheaded, zombies, missing limbs, chainsaws, fake blood, and torture. Costumes could be anything from cute little princesses to pirates and mummies, zombies and witches, dead people or cute little fuzzy animals. I can tell you I was never once offended, what happened?

Edited by Smokum

Everything is offensive these days. Won't be long before you can't walk down the street without being arrested for "triggering" the neighbor for one reason or another.

Ridiculous.

That happened here a couple of years ago. I think I also remember something about a "body" hanging from a roof line. Maybe someone had fallen to their death recently? And something about a hanged "soldier."

I'm pretty easygoing as far as Halloween decorations. I suppose if someone depicted a kill chamber for unwanted cats and dogs I'd be shaken. I can see why a hanging character would be offensive, but I think I'd be inclined to shake my head and think "how insensitive" and leave it at that. Then again my ancestors weren't tortured on a regular basis.

Edited by Kina Kat

i'm half-asian, and that would have offended the heck out of me too. i don't think it has anything to do with increasingly encroaching political correctness or somebody's ethnicity, rather complete lack of common sense. what about little kids walking by and seeing that? that it's okay to hang a man from a tree as "halloween decoration"? totally inappropriate and i question the motives of the guy who did it.

You mean a scary yard decoration? Can't have something scary on halloween... isn't that the point of halloween? Ghosts and goblins, witches and all things scary.

*insert eye roll* People will complain about everything now a days. The "hanging" person is just a jacket. No legs, no head, nothing to depict race. It's freaking Halloween..

I just don't know how the human race will survive when we are offended when the wind blows the wrong direction. Grow up and stop trying to make other people suffer.

You mean a scary yard decoration? Can't have something scary on halloween... isn't that the point of halloween? Ghosts and goblins, witches and all things scary.

not originally it wasn't. hallmark and co. managed to turn it into something else just like what's happened to christmas. and if you want to learn a little about the unproud history of lynching in america there's a short story (i think even available for free on the internet) called "A Party Down At the Square" by Ralph Ellison.

Yes, originally it was about the spirits of the dead, evil spirits and demons. If you want to blame hallmark then you have to say they turned cute kitten costumes into halloween fair, and away from it's origins.

I'm quite familiar with the history of hangings here. No race was exempt. Also familiar with the hangings of Dutch partisans during WWII. It was the preferred method to deal with captured partisans by the Axis powers. Doesn't change or shape my view of a halloween decoration in someone's front yard.

Yes, originally it was about the spirits of the dead, evil spirits and demons. If you want to blame hallmark then you have to say they turned cute kitten costumes into halloween fair, and away from it's origins.

I'm quite familiar with the history of hangings here. No race was exempt. Also familiar with the hangings of Dutch partisans during WWII. It was the preferred method to deal with captured partisans by the Axis powers. Doesn't change or shape my view of a halloween decoration in someone's front yard.

originally trick or treaters "earned" their treats through entertaining those they visited in costume. any evidence of that now? you didn't have to be worried that your house will be egged and tp-d if you don't cough up. and yes it was about the spirits of the dead, but it didn't mean hanging effigies around.

and maybe you know a lot (generically) about "hangings" (and by the way i do too--i have a brother in singapore where they do it all the time), but the barbaric history and "culture of lynching" in america as "entertainment" is another story altogether. "A Party Down At the Square".

"Fire in a Cane Break" chronicles the 1946 last mass lynching in America, which happened in the county I live in. I learned about it when I started working at the library.

I could be offended by many different things that happen on a daily basis, halloween is just once a year, so different people's idea of entertainment doesn't ruffle my feathers. I'm more concerned with some peoples conduct & speech in public these days that is very offensive to the ears of young people. Yes this costume hanging from a tree might be in poor taste, but so are many things. PD

Personally, I think people are reading too much in a simple decoration. Too many people get "offended" because they see something they don't like. They then have to make a big fuss. If you are offended by something, don't look at it! Change the TV channel or radio station. Don't go to the movie if it offends you.

But leave the rest of us who are not "offended" alone!

There is a church in town that puts up a yard full of crosses every year with a sign that they represent babies killed by abortion. This offends me. I don't make a big fuss because it is their right to express their view point, I just look the other way when passing the church.

My two-doors-down neighbors hang a doll by its neck from their tree every year for Halloween, and it always kind of gives me the shivers. Although we've lived here almost four years, I just recently had a conversation with the woman, and I was (I'm embarrassed to admit) surprised at how nice she was. I guess I had formed this preconceived opinion of them because I have always viewed that particular decoration as going "too far." I wouldn't say I am offended though, but if I had a child trick-or-treating, I'd probably personally avoid going to that house.

Nick-- I always thought if you didn't want people to trick or treat at your house you're supposed to just turn off your porch light. Like I said, it doesn't offend me, I just feel like it's a little too much.

JG- was your comment directed at me? If so, I'm not really sure what it means.

Nick-- I always thought if you didn't want people to trick or treat at your house you're supposed to just turn off your porch light. Like I said, it doesn't offend me, I just feel like it's a little too much.

JG- was your comment directed at me? If so, I'm not really sure what it means.

No it wasn't.. It was pre-coffee and just an in general comment.

I'd rather see a family outside doing somethign together even if SOME are offended by it vs everyone holed up in the house.

I find it interesting that everyone automatically guns for it being racially offensive. What about individuals who had a family member or close friend who committed suicide via hanging? I am not personally offended by it, but I can easily see how it might be triggering in that regard.

Edited by VAQHMA

or how about a halloween "decoration" depicting a beheading? that's pretty close to american families with journalists on the front.

i'm half-asian, and that would have offended the heck out of me too. i don't think it has anything to do with increasingly encroaching political correctness or somebody's ethnicity, rather complete lack of common sense. what about little kids walking by and seeing that? that it's okay to hang a man from a tree as "halloween decoration"? totally inappropriate and i question the motives of the guy who did it.

I do believe that political correctness plays a major role in ALL FORMS OF EXPRESSION THESE DAYS, not just Halloween.

That display could have been broadened to include someone with a pointed hat and white sheet !

Another example of increased sensitivity alone the line of being Politically correct, is the re-naming of a geographical configuration located At the mountain area we often ride at. This particular ridge that you can climb up to, features a dome that used to be called `China Man¸s Hat. Now it is called The Dome.

Heck, I have heard of the move to call Halloween itself, as the

black and White HOliday`, instead of Halloween!

How well do you think of an image of a Cat hung up side down would fare, as a Halloween decoration. For some, it is a serious image of Satanism.

Offensive to to ghosts . sow a body ahnging from a tree hanging, Yet Not offensive to so some who spread blood, body parts all over the ground around fake headstones..

I just look at to each their own. with all the horror movies on.Many copy certain characters from those movies who do hang, murder, eat human flesh,etc.. when texas chainsaw came out, in our area ,assome people had chainsaws ,and fake heads hanging on bushes...while the fake body laid on the ground.