Sign in to follow this  
Zoe84

If You Have A Spare 4:42 Minutes...

Hi, some of you might recall my warmblood X TB gelding diagnosed with navicular about 2 years ago. We have had a roller coaster of events from then till now, including hind end problems on top of the navicular. He was turned out for a year (it is so hard to keep a navicular horse sound on 25 acres of lush grass) but he has been back in light work as per the vet's advice for the last couple of months. I don't do a lot of circles with him due to his navicular, he is mainly taken on the trails and ridden lightly around the property. He is also handy on the cows but I have to be careful of the terrain on which we are moving them.

What do you think of this video of him taken 2 days ago? I can't see to get him 100% sound out of his boots, the heel first landing is near impossible to get, the best is flat. He is being trimmed by me every 2 weeks, (mainly just backing up the toe) and every 5-6 weeks by the same farrier who trimmed him initially after the diagnosis after looking at his x rays. The main thing I'm worried about is us having to move in the next 6 months - I have the perfect set up now for him, having him on the trotting track as many nights as he can (little to no pick and he can move continuously around the track with horses on either side to keep him busy) and a large 'navicular' paddock with not much grass. It's also hard at this time of year in Australia, as hay is scarce and the only affordable hay is rice lucerne...not the best I know. I find myself feeding hard feed of oaten chaff, maxi soy, flax seed, handful of oats, salt and apple cider vinegar when I don't have the choice of lower quality hay. I will either have to agist him when we move, or turn him out at afriend's property hours away while we continue saving for a property of our own, then I will have to start over.

Anyway, what do you think? Also, should I try to keep the weight off him or do you think he is ok???

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

I think he's going well. I can see him short striding only once in a while when moving to the left. I would take some weight off him. Extra pounds are only harder on his feet and legs. He looks happy--that's important. You've done a good job.

Have you considered ground control shoes? I know they nail on, but it is effectivly an open sole boot that stays with him....i do think he should loose a few pounds....that way his feet have an easier job.v e ry pretty and Shiney fella.

Thanks guys :) He is a good doer and also the top of the pecking order. Hard to keep him in with anyone that needs feeding more than him. I'll look up the ground control shoes, thanks kitten-kat!

Wow Choco Mare, those are cool...i could never afford a set, but I sure do like the design...reminds me a tad of a light weight old mac....would love to try them.

Yes they look good, he is in Old Macs at the moment but these ones look 'sportier' and we ride thru grass/paddocks a lot where the old macs get clunky & in the way.

Wonder if there's an Aussie distributor?