Sign in to follow this  
gaitinalong

Feed Recall In Florida

IMHO, anyone living in an area with access to this brand of feed, should read these links.

Lakeland Animal Nutrition, a subsidiary of Lexington’s Alltech, recalled the four products Oct. 22, “as a measure of caution” following the death of three horses on a South Florida farm Oct. 16 and 20.

How nice of them to use the phrase "as a measure of caution".

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/company-issues-feed-recall-after-three-horses-die-in-south-florida/

Some sad pictures on this link but it needs to be read.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/lab-equine-feed-from-alltech-subsidiary-contaminated-with-monensin.aspx

Every person's nightmare.

Contaminated food that kills.

People or their animals.

(((((shudder)))))

Very good wake up call, far as chosing from where you buy your horse feed!

I took a tour of our local feed mill at one of their open houses.

The control room featured how the mixing of feed was completely computer generated. We all know that computers are great, as long as a technical error does not occur.

Thus, knowing horses have died before, with their feed contaminated with cattle feed that contains Rumensin, I asked as to what safe guards were in place to protect against computer error

I was told that their horse feed was bagged at a separate plant, which gave me an immense feeling of confidence.

Thus, I would never buy horse feed from a plant that mixed feed for other live stock

How do you know, if the feed you use, is mixed at the same place as other livestock feeds?

To whom do you speak?

Excuse the stupid question, but, I wouldn't know who to ask.

It isn't something I would normally think of.

Well, the only way I found out was by chance, as I always wondered a bit, concerning the possibility of having horse feed fixed with cattle feed, due to human and computer error

It was alucky opportunity that I attended an open house, offered by Hi Pro, where I buy my feed.

Along with the free hamburgers, ect, which is always a drawing card for hubby, there were tours offered, to view mixing of feeds etc

In the control room, the operator gave a great talk on how he just needed to punch in, for a particular feed to be bagged, and the computer was programed to add all the ingredients automatically in the pre determined , and programed in amounts

Having worked with computers enough in the labs, I am aware that they work great, as long as a glitch doe snot happen, or even human error input

Thus, in ther question period , being the only horse person amongst a bunch of cattle men, I asked as to how computor error was prevented, bagging their horse feed, by even 'carry over contamination.

The charge person then told me, 'good question. Our horse feed is all mixed bagged at a separate facility and shipped here

I guess that if you are buying bagged feed at some tack store, ect, only thing you can do is contact the manufacturer of that feed, and see if it is mixed in a different mill then one that mixes feed for cattle also