Sign in to follow this  
reidhorsegrl10

Popping Noise When Walking...

I recently brought my mare home from the trainer (where I bought her from). She was in basically an all sand environment (pasture and riding area). Since she has been home I've noticed a popping noise in one of her back legs, cannot tell which one it is. My ground is a harder clay. No lameness or limping when she's in the pasture or riding. Just curious as to what this could be... I've associated it with maybe the change in ground she's on. However, just wondering if it could be something more to it. Any thoughts???

It could be just a joint popping (like popping knuckles - does it pop every time or only a few times and then stop?) or it could indicate something more severe. Best bet would be asking your vet or farrier to look at it. Also, can you call the trainer and ask if they heard this popping noise?

Synovial (joint) fluid being compressed within the joint. Just like us popping our knuckles. As long as there is no lameness, no cause for concern.

I had a mini here, who had a popping/snapping noise?

had her checked out.

Vet called it a slipping patella :-) Other than just gradually putting her into work

slowly..and making sure she was warmed up before doing to much with her.

That she would be fine .

I had a mini here, who had a popping/snapping noise?

had her checked out.

Vet called it a slipping patella :-) Other than just gradually putting her into work

slowly..and making sure she was warmed up before doing to much with her.

That she would be fine .

I don't seem to be hearing it as much now, so hopefully it was just a temporary thing. Definitely going to keep that advice in mind just to be safe!