Sign in to follow this  
RickisSweetSmoke

Horse With A Snotty Nose- One Nostril

The mystery continues-ish

I watched him drink water from the tank today and some of it came back through his nose...this goes back to his assymetrical larynx? He still has snot randomly but much less than before. And the antibiotics continue, no stomach problems. Today we rode with some friends and he was ready to move out and take the lead. At the end of the day he is not bothered and still successfully functioning as a horse...

We did pick up some square bales from a different suppler, no changes though...

In looking at images, I lean more towards guttural pouch or soft palate than larynx. I say this because the larynx is low in the esophageal area and any water left should trickle out of the mouth. But if the guttural pouch has an opening between the esophageal area and the nasal cavity or the soft palate doesn't close off the nasal area when eating and drinking ..... then water could come out the nostrils.

However .... in the images I've looked at, I cannot tell if the nasal passages are cut off from the mouth/swallowing area when eating/drinking. If it is always closed, then I can't see water/food coming out w/out some sort of unusual or unnatural access but if it is openly joined, I could easily see water/food having access. BUT! If that nasal/mouth passage is open ... why aren't more horses having water come out of their nostrils when they drink? What about them is different that prevents that access? If that is true, then *something* is creating a passage between the nasal and mouth areas.

**** I wish I could post pics or links, but since HC's last update I cannot ****

I looked at a different image and it appears when a horse swallows, the soft palate should lift to block the nasal passages and the larynx should close to block the trachea so water/food will pass down the esophagus. If your horse has water/food coming out of his nostrils after eating/drinking, then I think there is a problem with the form or function of his soft palate. If his larynx was the problem, I think his medical issues would be in his lungs, not the nasal area.

Edited by Heidi n Q

During the scope the vet was able to spray water and we watched the closure of his swallow and it looked good. I almost wonder if perhaps he chronically chokes and resolves it on his own, perhaps the water coming up is from a blockage when he goes to swallow? He was not actively choking or in distress. The scope show no signs of strictures either...my little freak...He is maintaining his weight- he eats and drinks and functions otherwise normal. I wish I had more answers or more funds to research his abnormalities.

A fatalistic view, but .... I guess I wouldn't worry about it until it kills him! LOL I mean, he doesn't appear to be bothered by it too terribly so all you can do is treat symptoms if/when they appear.

A fatalistic view, but .... I guess I wouldn't worry about it until it kills him! LOL I mean, he doesn't appear to be bothered by it too terribly so all you can do is treat symptoms if/when they appear.

Are you implying I am negligent? The last thing I want is for this to kill my horse. The last round of antibiotics have cleared up the snot. He has not had any symptoms of choking episodes since the previous episode (when the vet sedated him). In consulting with three different vets,to include a major vet university hospital, the options are to run all the same exact tests running the risk of still not having an answer.

I most certainly did NOT imply you are negligent. Didn't you see the "LOL" I put in there?

I extend an apology that my *personal* fatalistic sense of get-tough-or-die humor didn't come across well to you. I assure you, I meant nothing by it. You called your horse a "freak" and I thought you were being humerous with that. Wait. Were you or weren't you? Because your freak-phrase inspired my own use of humor.

I am sorry you didn't perceive my humor in the spirit with which I shared it and how I intended it to be understood.

Now that the apology is out of the way, I'll explain.

You stated he eats, drinks, maintains weight, has a good attitude and functions normally in all other ways. You've already run every test imagineable with multiple veterinarians at a handful of highly reputable places at great cost to you and no one can pinpoint the issue creating a passageway between the mouth and nasal areas. There are no new tests to run, only an ability to run the same ones w/out a guarantee of having a diagnosis at the end, just more expense. I simply meant to point out (with my dark humor) that you've run every test and there isn't anything else you can do .... other than treat symptoms if/when they appear.

Were he *my* horse and I'd already done all you've done, this would be my take on it:

It hasn't killed him, doesn't appear to be a danger of killing him, observation allows for catching early infection signs and clearing it up with prompt treatment ... so I'd stop worrying about something I cannot control, keep him happy with what I can control and enjoy him while I got him for as long as I can keep him being a happy horse. Or freak, if you prefer.

There's nothing left to do but rub some dirt on it. (another fatalistic bit of humor)

Or put some Windex on it. (more humor)

^^^ those were said *totally* tongue-in-cheek. Pleeeaaase tell me you laughed.

He drinks...some comes out his nose....I seem to remember something about improper closure of something that's supposed to close when they swallow...yeah, lotta help there. Hate it when the brain fishing brings up old boots.

Thank you for clearing that up Heidi, my apologies if I upset you. I have lost so much sleep over this horse and if I am making the right choices for him. He is a freak, and I mean that with love, I do understand your humor, I can be a bit dark myself but I can also be hypersensitive about the dear horse. He has not had the easiest past (from prev. owners, he bought and sold a lot, vet care neglected) and I just want to make sure his future with me is a happy and healthy one.

Oz,

The endoscope showed he had adequate closure when he swallows however his larynx is asymmetrical. I have seen the water come out his nose, which to me could be indicative of a choke episode, however he is not actively choking and not in distress. The water out the nose is also a freak thing, there is no pattern or explanation, it just happens sometimes.

He probably has closure most of the time, except when water comes out his nose. That would fit with the asymmetric thing