Sign in to follow this  
QueenBAW

Rice Bran, Calf Manna, Alfalfa Pellets?

Sorry guys, something is crazy with this computer at work. Took me 3 tries to post.

Just trying to add some calories to my OTTB's diet for the winter. He is not currently underweight. Just looking to add some calories though to add a few extra pounds to him for the winter.

He is currently on 2 scoops of TCS morning and night and is out 24/7 with 3 others with a nice round bale of hay.

Rice Bran, Cool Calories, Calf Manna, Alfalfa pellets? What do you guys recommend and how much?

I have never used rice bran, but if you do, make sure it is fortified, as rice bran has an inverted Ca/P ratio

I don't like feeding pellets, so if you wish to add alfalfa, I would use a good mixed hay with at least 50% alfalfa-and in fact, that is where I would start, far as more calories.

If more still calories are needed, then I would feed cool calories, as in flax. Soaked beet pulp is also good to add. It is a fiber very easy to digest, and as far as calories, lies halfway in between forage and grain (grain being grain, and not some bagged feed)Because it is digested as a fiber, beet pulp has none of the associated risks of adding hot calories, in proportion to amount fed

As you might know by now, I';m not a fan of just buying some pre mixed labeled feed bag, but rather look what I need to add to the diet, starting with the forage, and go from there.

What kind of hay is that round bale, and do you know it's analysis ?

Edited by Smilie

Im not sure what kind of hay the round bale is exactly. My neighbors provide the hay since my horse is pastured with her 3. I do know that it is good quality hay...I know where it comes from and Ive used the same guys hay in the past, but as far as an analysis goes I don't know. Im sure its not alfalfa or an alfalfa mix. Probably a Timothy or Orchard Grass.

I have had the best results with hay stretcher. It is a pelleted product meant to supplement hay for horses who cannot eat hay (age- dental). I do not feed the 'recommended' amount because he can and does eat hay, but this just gives him the extra calories he needs. He is a TB type who can be hard to keep.

I did not have much success with rice bran and while I would love to feed soaked beet pulp, the temps here are so low and he eats sooooo SLOW it will be frozen by the time he should be finishing it. His teeth are routinely cared for and he is probably the slowest eater ever, no real reason, he just is. Hay stretcher as been the best for him.

I use soaked beetpulp, and I live in Alberta!

It is always best to start with the forage first, but since you have no control over type of hay fed, I guess that is not an option. Alfalfa hay is higher in calories than grass hays

I did not have much success with rice bran and while I would love to feed soaked beet pulp, the temps here are so low and he eats sooooo SLOW it will be frozen by the time he should be finishing it. His teeth are routinely cared for and he is probably the slowest eater ever, no real reason, he just is. Hay stretcher as been the best for him.

Elmer takes about 4 hours to eat his soaked goodies. It doesn't freeze, and I am quite a bit north of you.

I found beet pulp pellets shortly after starting this post and have been feeding those. Ive fed beet pulp in the past but it was shredded, not pellets....lets just say that I had a whoooole lotta beet pulp my first go round, lol. A bag of beet pulp pellets lasts me a while BUT now Im curious about this hay stretcher that Ive read about....hmmm...whats the better option?