Sign in to follow this  
reidhorsegrl10

General Upkeep...

I have a 6 year old mare that is in moderate work and an older broodmare that I am just wondering if there is general upkeep, supplements, that could be beneficial. I've started them both on a general MSM supplement just for support, but wondering if that helps or is beneficial.

How do ya'll keep up your horses that are similar to mine??

I have 4 horses of varying ages and like to use Vitaflex joint supplement, just to help support them, and Cool Calories Fat Supplement in the winter just to make 'me' feel better, lol.

Thank you for your reply :) May try the Vitaflex instead of the MSM may add a little more!

I feel like sometimes I use supplements for me to feel better!

I will swear by Vitaflex.

I have a 20 y/o mare who is retired due to a knee injury. Cannot be ridden anymore and is lame on any type of ground aside from soft grass/mud, etc... In her pasture, with the vitaflex in her system, she runs, bucks, kicks out and generally acts like a complete idiot because she feels so good.

I was using it on my 8 y/o gelding as well, but am seriously debating taking him off of it, as he acts like an idiot undersaddle enough already and I don't think I want him trying to perform 'airs above the ground' just because he feels super good, lol.

Supplements that I give, depend on what the individual horse needs.

All of my horses have free choice horse minerals and salt, and anything else, besides forage, depends on the horse.

I use soaked beet pulp for those horses that need special supplements

Smilie is IR, thus she gets vit E and Quiescence and a probiotic

Einstein has Cushings and some arthritis. He is 21. He gets Cushing support and low dose NSAIS as needed. I did not find MSM or other oral joint supplements of much use

None of my horses need more calories, but if I do need to add calories or a source of the omegas, I use flax (cool calories )

My old reining mare, who is 29 and sound, just gets some rolled oats mixed with soaked beet pulp in the winter

The rest of the herd just has minerals, salt, lots of forage and if that gets hard to get in the winter, or get gets very cold, I add some hay

I don't supplement automatically, but rather on need and work load. For instance, hubby's horse only gets some oats when he is working in the mountains, and Same for Carmen

Charlie is an easy keeper, so even when I am riding her almost daily in the warmer months, all of the supplements she gets is a dipper of soaked beet pulp and some raspberry leaves that I buy in bulk at Nutters

Edited by Smilie