Sign in to follow this  
SerahRose

Supplement Making My Horse "hot"?

A few months ago I won a joint supplement and decided to try it out on my mare.

Now, all my facebook friends know the troubles I have with my steed injuring herself repeatedly over the past 4 months. Put her on the supplement - 10 days later she Caught her leg in the fence between the corner post tension wire and electric fence wire and ripped off a few strips of flesh. took her off the supplement (because I figured what's the point, I'm not riding her so won't be able to notice a difference) One nice vet bill and lots of gamgee and vetwrap and a month and a bit later she was back under saddle. For 2 days. Then she over-reached and ripped off a nice hunk of heel while running around in the pasture. Once she was sound again from the heel bulb injury that I started her back up on the supplement and proceeded to ride.

After about a month of being on the supplement again I noticed my usually placid mare was behaving like a 2 year old out in the pasture - ripping around, rearing, trying to engage her old broodmare buddy in a game of tag, etc. I assumed the supplement was doing its job and making Mosely feel GREAT. She was still a saint under saddle, and dare I say, moving and really engaging better and we were schooling 2nd level dressage, preparing to show 1st and 2nd this coming show season.

On the 21st of this month, I received a picture text from my boss of my horse's hind leg, with a not-so-beautiful bloody wound and hanging flesh. I had literally just gotten home for a Christmas vacation. I got home tonight and while we were discussing wound stuff, bosslady mentioned that she had stopped the supplement and for about 3 days Mosely was a hot energetic mess (in her stall, because obviously she needed some "down time" for her wound) and by day 4 of being off the supplement Mose was back to her chill self.

Sooooo....long story short - do any of my horse nutrition gurus recognize any of these ingredients as something that might make a horse hot/crazy/frisky/semi-suicidal? :blink:

• D-Glucosamine Sulphate
  • MSM
    (Methyl Sulphonyl Methane)
  • Notopterygium incisum
  • Ledeboutielle divaricata
  • Gentiana macrophylla
DOSAGE:

Loading Dose: 30 cc twice daily for 7 to 10 days.
Maintenance Dose: 30 cc daily.

30 cc contains :
D-Glucosamine Sulphate……..5000 mg
Methyl Sulfonyl Methane…….....3500 mg
Ledebouriella divaricata…….…2000 mg
Notopterygium incisum…….….2500 mg
Gentiana macrophylla………….2000 mg