SerahRose

Skin Grafts And Horses

I wanted to add that some years ago we had a kitty (feral I was taming) break a hind leg and he got a cast and neutered and brought into the house. He was the fastest feral-to-housecat conversion I'd ever done. I remember the day the vet took off his cast, he soft wrapped it and told me to take off the soft wrap the next day. I did so and his leg/foot swelled up so much, all of his toes stuck out. I called the vet and he said he was hoping to avoid that by using the soft wrap after the hard cast, but it was normal and would go down. There wasn't anything I could do, and he told me to keep an eye on it and call him if the swelling persisted and/or his toes turned blue. They never turned blue but if they had it would have meant reduced or nonexistent circulation and I was to get the kitty to him immediately.

The vet explained to me the leg/foot eventually adjust and grow dependent upon the pressure of the hard cast and its sudden removal means the leg/foot has to abruptly adjust to regulating its own pressure. During this time, swelling occurs until the leg/foot readjusts itself. The vet hoped the reduced confinement of the soft wrap would help the leg/foot adjust but that didn't appear to be the case with my kitty.

I wonder if we had left the wrap on longer, and maybe did another soft wrap change to make the wrap looser before removal, would have helped. I also wonder if there's just going to be swelling after support until the leg readjusts to the lack of supportive pressure. In any case, I think you're on the right track with slowly reducing the amount of pressure of your wraps.

Another idea/question: Would something like a sport-medicine-boot help? I think it could stay in place pretty well, even when the velcro closures are adjusted loosely. You could even make marks with a sharpie so you know how tight-to-loose you are adjusting it.

Because if you wrap a narrower wrap snugly without running it up the entire lower leg, it tends to mess up that nice long tendon in the back of the leg. Something I learned the hard way about 30 years ago.

Good thing to mention ^^^ but that isn't what I was suggesting. My suggestion of using a maxi-pad, vetwrap and Elastikon is that it doesn't need to be tight to just cover a wound. Perhaps the pad/vetwrap/Elastikon would work well in conjunction with a leg boot as a transition between fully wrapping the leg and just bandaging the actual wound prior to no covering over the healed site.

I have tried that - the problem is it has to be fairly snug in order for it to not slip - and I'm not comfortable with how tight it has to be in order to not slip. I've tried tape, too, but she paces the fence line so much it all just falls down. The polo stays on just fine though. As long as she's active no swelling happens. So if I could convince her to pace the fence line for 10 minutes once ever hour....LOL

^^^ but her scar splits open when it swells.

Can you try leg (splint boots) boots? The velcro fasteners can be slowly loosened to reduce pressure and allow the leg to adjust and regulate itself over time.

^^^ but her scar splits open when it swells.

Can you try leg (splint boots) boots? The velcro fasteners can be slowly loosened to reduce pressure and allow the leg to adjust and regulate itself over time.

Gotcha!!!

The splint type boots are usually neoprene and will hold heat in.

Yeah I'm worried about heat build up. We are back to cooler weather again and I can delay the fear a bit longer...lol

I think I might hack a polo wrap in half so I don't have so many layers of fleece wrapping the leg. Can't hurt to see how that works for a day or two

We're up to 6 hours a day unwrapped! Towards the end of that 6 hours I do start seeing slight puffiness of the wound area and feel heat build-up. Going to start cold hosing at the 4 hour mark and see what happens.

after 7 months, we are finally wrap free. Last night was the first night without a wrap!!! and it looks goooood!! so YAY!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *whew*