Sign in to follow this  
Smilie

Story Of Survival + Pics

Hi

I don't know how many here remember me posting about an injured feral horse that we came across last fall, while riding, but I saw him again this past Sunday.

We first came across him when Hubby and I rode near the Panther , last fall, in an area that had been logged. At first I thought he was a bachelor stud, that was hanging around as we rode,by, interested in my mare Charlie, as he would not run off when we yelled at him.. As we rode closer, we saw that one back leg was badly injuried, appearing like wolves had tried to take him down, so he was not very mobile.

I have often wondered about him since.

In the winter, I won't haul horses out on that road, but like to use this time of year to get some hiking in. Thus, hubby, i and our dog, Heff, hiked up that same logging road.

We came across that stud, all by himself. The winter has been kind so far this year, so he has lots to eat. His leg appeared to have healed crooked. He can walk, but is not sound. I used my my camera, that Hubby got me for Christmas, and tried out the zoom. He appears in good condition, and I hope he will be able to re -join his herd

We saw no sign of wolf activity, so I hope his luck holds out.

Walking further, we did see the herd in the distance, and managed to get a picture of them, using the zoom

Feralstallion1_zpsa89b926f.jpg

feralherd_zpsc52cb215.jpg

He's a pretty thing! Too bad about his leg. Why would he not be able to rejoin his herd? Would they not allow it, or, is it because he can't keep up just yet?

Poor guy, makes ya want to help him, capture him, or something, and, take him home....well, it makes me want to.

Great Bunny you live in some wild country!

Mares tend to lead the herds and there is usually only one herd stallion who earned the position as resident breeding stud by being able to defend his herd from interlopers who would try to overtake him and appropriate the mare band for themselves. If he was the herd stallion and became injured, it would be easy for another stud to take over the mare band. If he cannot recover sufficiently to challenge and defeat the other stallion, he will remain a bachelor and alone unless/until he joins a bachelor herd. If the mare band doesn't have a different stallion to claim them then the only reason I can think of for him not being with them would be due to an inability to keep up with the lead mare and the rest of the band.

I am glad he appears to have recovered somewhat. It doesn't sound like he'll ever be 100% but at least he is alive and in good condition. This ups his chances for a future.

well that's a heartening story--I've thought about that guy on and off too ever since you posted. he looks good!

Yes, he does look in good shape!

Heidi, you are quite right that he most likely will never be able to challenge another stallion, and thus allowed to join a herd that includes mares. Hopefully, he will be able to join a small bachelor herd in the spring, as more of those little groups will be formed, when the herd stallion decides that they are of a size that will become a problem for him

I imagine that at the moment he must constantly be on the alert, living alone, and with some of his flight ability reduced

Thanks for the update. Glad he's looking this good, and that the herd is within his senses range, albeit, off in the distance. Hope they are helping each other out, vocally, against predators, if nothing else.

Poor guy. He does look good, and I hope he continues and is able to join a bachelor herd. Prayers and good thoughts sent for him.

Hope he continues to do well.

I know he's wild and, doesn't know anything else, but, I feel so bad for him.