Sign in to follow this  
reidhorsegrl10

Long Trailer Ride

Saturday I will be taking my mare half way to her new home. The longest trailer ride she has had is about 2 hours. Saturday we will be traveling a good 7 hours. This is also a first for me in my hauling experience. Just wondering what all I should do to ensure she has a safe and happy experience???

Drive slowly, brake and accelerate slow & smooth, make rounded curving turns.

Keep looking ahead 5-8 vehicles ahead of you and to the sides so that you can see and avoid problems before they get worse or force you to slam on your brakes or swerve.

Plan and prepare for bad weather and traffic problems before you pack your vehicle & trailer.

Make a list of what you need and check off each item as you place it in your vehicle or trailer.

Pack emergency tool & kits, and food items last. That way you don't have to dig through everything to find your jack or lug-nut wrench or band-aids or horse thermometer or protein bar that are in bags at the bottom of all of your other stuff.

Get a couple of battery camping lanterns (one in each vehicle). You can hang them up or set them on the ground when you need a good light to see by. Flashlights always require the use of one of your hands, camping lights don't. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lanterns+for+camping&tag=mh0b-20&index=sporting&hvadid=1676218096&ref=pd_sl_4zxrpqgw8k_b

Take water from home, and when you stop for lunch, hang a hay bag and water her

Some horses will not pee in a trailer. Mine will, esp if there are shavings over the matts

Ditto to all the emergency supplies Dondie mentioned

I have started a list and made sure to add these.

Smilie, you said to do a hay bag when we stop for lunch, I usually have a hay bag full for the trip for her during the trip?

Is it recommended to wrap their legs or use shipping boots?? Or is it ok for them to not have either?

We just hauled 2 horses home from TX. Trip took 20 hours. (I would NOT try this with older or slightly infirm'd horses). We have a 4H slant load. Hung a hay bag (with only a flake of hay) for each and we did not tie ours. We stopped every two hours for at least 15 minutes. Every other stop we offered water. The one mare drank each time, the other only drank once. When we got home we let them stand in the trailer for half an hour or so. Then when we unloaded they both got a dose of electrolytes and each took a big long drink. We let them settle in the round pen for a couple hours before offering food. Gave them plenty of time to get water back into their system before putting food in there. Then that evening (was 11am when they got to the house), we gave them each a dose of pro biotics to help their guts with the big change they had just went through. Middle Texas to norther Indiana, they fared just fine.