Sign in to follow this  
dondie

Vitamins & Supplements That Aren't?

It amazes me that in almost every product except Vitamins/Supplements and Makeup.

Manufactures are required to prove that the contents on the labels are what is listed and safe for human consumption.

It seems that people are being ripped off and their health endangered by the very things that they pop into their mouths to improve their wellbeing.

The questions are....Do we need more regulation and review of companies that manufacture vitamins and supplements? Can we trust this industry to self-regulate themselves or do they require oversight from a third-party entity or government agencies? How do you feel when you see that these store are only pulling contaminated products in NY?

Here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/5-gorgeous-photos-remind-vitamins-022500288.html

If you’ve got a cabinet full of vitamin and herbal supplements, you might want to do some purging. This week, the largely unregulated supplement industry came under fire after an investigation by the New York state attorney general’s office found mislabeled and contaminated bottles. Those gingko biloba pills? They’re more likely to contain cheap, powdered vegetable fillers or, worse, substances unsafe for people with allergies.

Walgreens and Target pulled the products off their shelves nationwide after New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman sent cease and desist letters. GNC and Walmart, the other two retailers that received the missive, continue to sell the products outside New York.

That big brands commit such fraud suggests a widespread problem for an industry that earns $25 billion a year. To meet their nutritional needs, people might have to stick to, well, food—at least until better regulations are in place.

Edited by dondie

Well, I have certainly been aware of the supplement industry for a long time, from both the horse and human end of it, far as any standardization as to quality and assurance that the label on that bottle, ensures both the ingredients contained and amount quoted

Do I think it needs to be regulated-absolutely!

in all the EU countries full disclosure is the law. you just don't need a prescription.

But, who does the quality control? Who ensures what is on that label, actually is there in the proclaimed amount?

The dirty little secret is out. No one is minding the store when it comes to vitamins, minerals, herbs or dietary supplements.

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? What about specific nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium or magnesium? Do you take herbs or supplements such as glucosamine, turmeric (curcumin) or fish oil? Do you have any idea what’s in your supplement? Chances are you rely on the label, but that may be quite misleading.

here is an article on supplement savvy

http://www.cncahealth.com/explore/learn/nutrition-supplements/supplement-savvy-part-2-product-potency#.VNt-mizzNRo

Here are some key questions consumers can ask, any supplement manufacturer:

Consumers cannot be expected to possess the level of knowledge to necessary to critically evaluate issues of product potency. To be honest, most people who work in the industry do not even appreciate the problems inherent in guaranteeing that a supplement has in it what the label says it does. But a consumer can ask a few well-placed questions of a supplement company’s technical director in order to determine if they have appropriate quality control procedures in place:

• Are your ingredients and finished products evaluated by a laboratory for purity, potency and identity of active ingredients?
  • Are your laboratory’s analytical methods validated for the ingredients tested? (The answer to this question may be no, and that may be acceptable. But it is best to ask and find out.)
  • Do you follow FDA Good Manufacturing Practices for dietary supplements?
  • Can you provide lot-specific certificates of analysis validating the identity, purity and potency of your products?

If a supplement company is unwilling or unable to answer these questions, or to at least find out the answers and get back to you in a timely manner, it is time to choose another supplement company.

I take a product called "Redox Basis" which is manufactured in Austria, and my husband takes a product called "Flexsure" for his right knee (two ACL and one patella tears) which is manufactured in Texas. we have to get relatives to send the latter to us or he picks it up when he is in America because they don't ship overseas. my orthopedic surgeon recommended the redox when I complained about tying up, and my husband just happened to pick up the flexsure off a pharmacy shelf at random the last time he was in boston. I haven't seen his knee this small in years, and that was after a month of taking 3 pills a day. he skis hard, and he says he hasn't needed a pain pill so far this season.

to be honest I don't know who regulates herbal/supplements in the EU but I will tell you that the pharmaceutical industry is quite the racquet here with exorbitant pricing. that tells me that "somebody" is controlling what gets put on the shelves, especially OTC,

Here is the UK regulating body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicines_and_Healthcare_Products_Regulatory_Agency

Here is the FDA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_Drug_Administration

skimming, I see no difference

here is the regulating laws , concerning supplements

http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/