Sign in to follow this  
Alleycat

Saddle/stirrup/girth Question

Hi, I'm new here and have been riding most of my life. I just started leasing a new gelding from my manager at work and I love him. Though he's a button pusher. Anyways here's my scenario.

We went on quite a long trail ride the other day and I noticed that my ankles and knees were killing me by the end. Not to mention that my weird foot had went half numb and stayed that way much longer than normal. (I've shown cattle all my life and had quiet a few stomp on my foot, combined with a few long nights in heels there's minor nerve damage that makes it go numb sometimes).

The woman I was riding with said my stirrups were too long and that was my problem. But they seemed just right? Yes I am not used to 3 hours of riding but I've never hurt like that.

I ride in a Circle Y barrel saddle, impact gel pad, and wider barrel stirrups. I have never loved the stirrups but I've never had any real problems with them.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do here. I'm not wanting a new saddle, but new stirrups are an option.

My second question is what kind of girth should I get? My last horse was an extremely round, and fat guy. So my 36 inch girth is way to big for poor Simon. He's the fella in the picture below. What size, brand, and style would you recommend? I'm mainly trail riding and learning him right now but I think he's going to be used for trails and some rodeo events.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it.

post-63629-0-09733900-1423531814_thumb.jpg

yes your stirrups are too long, and i'll explain why from a biomechanics point of view. if your stirrups are too long it is physically impossible for you to open your knees and your hips and you will have a tendency to "brace", especially in your ankles, which is probably causing the problems. take them up two holes and i'll bet you'll feel better, and by the way, so will simon because you'll be more flexible for him. he's cute!

Agree with Nick. Your stirrups are too long and I can actually see that you're bracing in the saddle. Try lifting them a hole or two.

I hate to say it, but I also think your saddle may be a little too small for you. I understand that a different saddle may not be feasible, but it might be worth considering in the longer term. Have you been riding in this saddle a while, prior to this current horse?

Sorry I did forget to mention I did raise them 2 holes, after that picture, since my long legged manager was using my saddle the week before. They were raised for our trail ride too. Ill get another picture if I need to Friday when I go to the barn.

good. there is this biomechanics vet who gives clinics at our stall 4 times a year, and this is one of his pet peeves, when dressage riders have their stirrups so long that they "have nowhere to go" with flexion. you need the angle in your hip, knee, and ankle to be open so that the horse can open his back, "swing with you (or you swing with him)". if you brace, the horse will brace at well, and then everybody gets stiff!!

I kinda agree with DQ as well, your saddle looks a wee bit tight.