Kyra

Spring Training Pics/update

My qh mare Luna is now 5 and we are FINALLY getting somewhere and learning to get along. She's been greenbroke since 3, but I've been inconsistent, she's had some injury layups and we just butt heads a lot. We are both hard headed and just very good at pushing each other's buttons. But in the last month since some decent weather has arrived, I've been working a lot harder with her, and she's calmed down and matured and I've finally been able to give her the time she needs.

Both of us hate arena work, so we try and do just about 20 mins of it and then go out on the trails and that's been a good way to do it. She's cutting bred and LOVES working cows, so that's always a good reward for her. We actually hand galloped several times in the last few weeks with her getting hot headed and throwing in some bucks!! She doesn't buck to dump me, she just loves running and gets too excited. She's always the loser out in the field running laps by herself and bucking lol.

Playing with the cows

cow%206_zpsnzwb6yoc.jpg

cow%2013_zps3bze9kjg.jpg

She loves swimming too! Can barely get her out of the water.

11043111_10152766618429716_7413096419451

Holding friends horses while they untangled a calf from a fence.

10411300_10152766599624716_2073189523337

She is excellent bridleless. Steers and stops off of leg and seat very well.

11041228_10152766660574716_5473219867252

10422603_10152766659739716_3616246130679

gr%203_zpszqnukbvq.jpg

I know I need to look up! It's a bad habit of mine.

gr%2015_zpsmn9vxdmb.jpg

My dog likes to ride too(unless Luna moves)

gr%2024_zpsyi99uz9x.jpg

It's so nice to end rides not frustrated with her!

Always nice to see a nice looking blonde on a good looking sorrel holding a nice looking dog, but riding bridleless has to be a great accomplishment. You've done well for a 5 year old mare. Best Wishes. PD

Thanks! She's not green on trail, but I still consider her green in the arena. We still have a lot to work on and haven't mastered cantering without occasional bucks and not wanting to keep in it.

Doing awesome with her.

I'm gonna offer some u solicited advise. Please just tell me to go away if you want too. I would NOT be adding speed more then an easy lope till you get her solid at the lope. When she is consistent and never offers to Buck then start asking for speed. Then only in a controlled environment.

As for the bucking at the lope. When she does it. Swat her on the hind end and push her forward hard through it. Most people slow a horse down or stop them all together when they Buck. That's teaching them they get out of work if they do it. If they screw up make them work harder.

Good luck with her!!

She's got a solid lope outside the arena. On trails we lope all the time and she's fine. It's in the arena that she's lazy and just doesn't want to. I do push her through the bucks. They're nothing huge or scary, just little hops because she doesn't want to go. I hate the arena as much as she does, so we're rather behind in the arena compared to out in the open.

I won't be working on much speed with her just yet. We've just hand galloped a few times out in the open. Your advice is appreciated!

For boring arena stuff. Get a large ball and have her chase it and move it around with her feet/nose. Basically like playing soccer with them. My horses all love it and it's great for keeping things interesting.

Edited by journeysgirl