Sign in to follow this  
reidhorsegrl10

Arena To The Pasture Riding

So a friend and I were talking today and were wondering if a horse that is use to strictly arena work how do you get them use to doing that work in the pasture???

She does not have an arena at home, so when she bought her gelding and got him home, going to work in the pasture (not the one he is pastured in) confused him a good bit and talk about lazy lol! I'm sure just continuing working in it, it will get better but just wonder what thoughts ya'll have on it? Was an interesting conversation.

So ... the horse thinks of the arenas as work where he has to wear a suit-and-tie and mind his Ps and Qs and the pastures as a home where he can wear his underwear and scratch inappropriate places? We wouldn't like our bosses coming into our homes and making us work, either. However, the rider is boss and dictates when and where work is done, and if this means it happens in his "home" then he needs to learn that arenas aren't the only place work occurs. Work occurs anytime he is under-saddle and he is expected to pay attention to his rider. Riding in a pasture separate from his own is a good step, she just needs to reinforce that riding is work-time, no matter where it is.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Just follow your usual routine (s). The ONLY difference is that the space is bigger-all the aids are still the same. Might need the occasional reminder to stay with you mentally at first, but it doesn't take long to figure it out.

Yeah. I'd say just be firm with him.

I've actually found that if a horse is distracted or confused - not focusing - it helps to step the difficulty up a little. Do leg yielding, serpentines, stuff he's not used to doing and has to think about.

Your friend has an easy problem to solve, in regards to the usual problem of riding horses out, that have only been arena ridden!

Most times, a horse that has only been arena ridden, can fall apart, riding out, being very spooky, etc

Work ethics can be re -enforced in a pasture as well as in an arena, by using legs to ask, ask louder, then demand!

I see no reason for confusion, if the horse has been truly taught to guide, by reins and legs, and not been allowed to associate arena walls as directing or guiding him

Edited by Smilie