Sign in to follow this  
Sally Altenbernt

2Nd Foal Came Today

We were told by our backup vet, on 4-24, that our 1990 mare, Mighty Bandit Up, was not in foal. For over a month she had been filling, and emptying, her teats, and had us so convinced, at one point, that we gave her the within 30 days of foaling vaccine. We bred this mare, and she had foaled for us before with out this erratic behavior, and we were naturally concerned, so we had her palpated. The vet also palpated a younger mare who had been pasture bred as well. She too is supposedly not in foal.

Fast forward to today, when we came home, and lo and behold, there was a foal by her side. We are delighted. He is a dun, with frosting, and partial socks on his off side. No barn name yet.

Bandits%205%205%2015%20foal%20013.jpg

Bandits%205%205%2015%20foal%20011.jpg

Bandits%205%205%2015%20foal%20008.jpg

Edited by Indianshuffler

Our herd was getting their yearly coggins done, on 4-24, when this happened. We had three Apps in, and three Apps tied to the trailer, waiting for the vet. Very cold that morning. Started out at 21, with frost covering everything in sight, but after nine, when the vet arrived, it was all gone. We had a grand time hanging out together, grooming lots of winter hair out of their coats, and my farrier son even did a needed trim. Was a good day, except for that wrong diagnosis. Times two actually, as we were told our other mare, who was also pasture exposed, was not in foal either. If our regular vet is well enough, we hope he can make it out for a definitive diagnosis.

vet%20waiting%20001.jpg

Edited by Indianshuffler

^^^ NO WAY! Your husband makes her look like a pony! LOL

I love the baby pics and I smiled at the pile of winter hair in the grass of the loaded-trailer pic.

HAHA. That happened at a thoroughbred farm locally. They named the foal after the vet, _____'s Folly. I guess it isn't so funny when it happens to you, though. I'm glad it turned out okay. Your "cousin foals" look a lot alike and both are suffering from a bad case of cuteness.

Noel looks like she'll be a big mare. Thanks for your photos, IS.

indianshuffler,

Nice looking stud colt, with just enough color to get noticed, your new stud, is doing a good job, Best Wishes. PD

^^^ NO WAY! Your husband makes her look like a pony! LOL

I love the baby pics and I smiled at the pile of winter hair in the grass of the loaded-trailer pic.

Heidi n Q, Hubby is 6' 1" with arm reach that makes this 5' 6" woman envious, especially when trying to reach high places in my kitchen cupboards. We had just come home from a medical appt, and our son called to say that there was a foal with Bandit, out in the pasture. Took me a bit to understand that he was not talking about Noel. Was a really glorious, happy surprise. Bandits few spot daughter, the white horse in the trailer, is now the care taker of Noel, even though she was present at the birth, there was some attempted teat theft going on. She got a pasture change, for the first time in her short life, and so far is doing well with it.

HAHA. That happened at a thoroughbred farm locally. They named the foal after the vet, _____'s Folly. I guess it isn't so funny when it happens to you, though. I'm glad it turned out okay. Your "cousin foals" look a lot alike and both are suffering from a bad case of cuteness.

Noel looks like she'll be a big mare. Thanks for your photos, IS.

Jubal, We were just astonished that he could miss a foal 11 days from being born. They are pretty cute cousins. I'll be sure to post comparison pics when they both get their foal coats shed out. Their going to be different colors for sure, but else wise, who knows? Our son has called dibs on Noel. He agrees with you, and wants a large mare to ride, plus he was the stall cleaner all the long winter, and they have become pretty close.

Congratulations - they are both adorable!

Magic26, Thank you

Congrats! Happy healthy looking horses!

Smilie, Thanks, hope all is good your way

indianshuffler,

Nice looking stud colt, with just enough color to get noticed, your new stud, is doing a good job, Best Wishes. PD

Peppers Dad, Thank you. Had no idea what that combo would produce, and admit, they did surprise me. Hoping the last mare we also pasture bred is in foal, in spite of the backup vets opinion. Got a call into our regular vet for just that purpose, but he is still limiting his farm calls, and not sure he will make it out. He did successfully call both sister mares in foal last year, before his health issues hit.

Scotty has impressed the owner of a thoroughbred mare my son is farrier to. She brought her to us to be bred. When I am sure I have the name right I will post it, but she is from Secretariat bloodlines, and over 17 hands.

indianshuffler,

A 17 hand thoroughbred mare, is owner looking for a spotted dressage horse? I hope she gets alot of color, she should get a foal that matues 15-3 to 16 hands. PD

Peppers Dad, Libra's owner was going to breed her to her paint stallion, but apparently he walked on before he successfully got her in foal. My son, who is 6' tall, took her fly sheet off this evening so I could get a couple of pics.

Libra%20001.jpg

Libra%20002.jpg

Isn't she pretty? Very nice manners too.

My son spoke so well of how good mannered her horses are, that we are having her train our five yr old mare, starting Sunday.

indianshuffler,

Indeed a very good looking mare, I hope you can get her in foal, & produces a loud colored leopard foal. I will be waiting to see what happens next spring. Best Wishes. PD

PD,

Got the mare dropped off for training, and found out Libras registered name, it's Libra's Diamond. She is a 1995 model. Soon, we will be introducing her to Scotty, for pasture breeding. We are waiting to find out whether my favorite riding mare, Ms Bright Glows Exec is in foal or not. Scotty is managed better with more than one mare to take his attention, and we also wanted to give Libra an opportunity to settle in to being pastured 24/7. She is spending less time in her shelter, and more time eating the grass and round bale in her pasture. She has been squealing and running around in her pasture when our Apps are playing in theirs. She is a joy to watch move.

indianshuffler,

I wish you luck with Libra, have found out much about her background, as to rather she has had many other foals, or been used in the showring most of her life. Because she is different than most of the mares you have bred, her past is just more intriguing. But if she throws a nice foal from Scotty, then you might find a whole different markets for Scotty's services. best Wishes. PD

Congratulations on your "Surprise" foals!!!!

Lovely Appys!!

It sounds like your's and Jubal's local vets need to go back to school for a few lessons!!!!

Hopefully ____ Folly will be running in lots of televised races! That way everyone will have a good laugh (at the vet's expense).

Congratulations on your "Surprise" foals!!!!

Lovely Appys!!

It sounds like your's and Jubal's local vets need to go back to school for a few lessons!!!!

Hopefully ____ Folly will be running in lots of televised races! That way everyone will have a good laugh (at the vet's expense).

That was many years ago, Dondie. I'm sure that horse retired long before now. To his credit, the vet, who was my vet at the time, told me about it himself. And he was a noted thoroughbred vet. But I'm surprised Indianshuffler's vet didn't get bitten on the hand by that colt that was two weeks away from being born, LOL.

That was many years ago, Dondie. I'm sure that horse retired long before now. To his credit, the vet, who was my vet at the time, told me about it himself. And he was a noted thoroughbred vet. But I'm surprised Indianshuffler's vet didn't get bitten on the hand by that colt that was two weeks away from being born, LOL.

That fact that your Vet could laugh and tell others about his mistake. Shows that he has a great character and was probably happy to have a horse on the track with his name!

Even with a glove on your arm, it is really hard to miss a full size foal!

It would have been funny if the foal had grabbed his hand!! "SURPRIZE!!!!! I'm in here!!