Sign in to follow this  
Sally Altenbernt

Illlegal Hunters & Neighbors Neglect, Versus Our High Tensile Fence

We are oh so fortunate in many ways, as there are no buildable sites on the land adjoining ours. A high water table, seasonal ponds, and very wet woods ensure this. Though owners have tried multiple times, the health department agrees. Our neighbors to the west own a 200 ft wide parcel that is half a mile long, with a 66 ft easement off a main paved road as their only access. North of us is the very wet ten acre wooded parcel. Last fall we cleared trees, and brush, from our west neighbors, off the horse pasture fence line. This spring, our line had been damaged more, north of the horse pastures, to our north east boundary, by ill legal hunters who literally drove over it, along with the neighbor neglect that we had yet to address. We are having such a dry spring that we were able to get into the affected area, and finish clearing out that 666.66 ft of high tensile fence line. Our west neighbors, having found hunting items on their property, erected several no trespassing signs, as deterrents. Unfortunately they found our wooden fence posts attractive places for their signs. Our fence line is wholly on our property, so we had a conversation, and they removed their signs, which are now on their own trees. We have, as you will see, finished repairs on, and improved the visibility, of our fence line. The upshot of this is that all the neighbors got together, due to the hunters, and we are united in that aspect at least. Since we know where our boundary stakes are, our neighbors now do too. This fence line is only a two line high tensile fence along our west line, north of our horse pastures, which meets our east fence line at that boundary stake.

Noel%204-14%20008.jpg

Noel%204-14%20003.jpg

Noel%204-14%20005.jpg

Noel%204-14%20011.jpg

Noel%204-14%20010.jpg

Noel%204-14%20012.jpg

The fence is not stretched tight, but it is there, well marked with red tops, and yellow electric fence signs are at intervals along it. The north east boundary steel post is all red painted, as are the other two boundary posts not pictured.

indianshuffler,

It is unfortunate that a few poor hunters have to spoil things, for all that play by the rules. Your fence line is very clean & well marked anybody crosses it should be asking for permission first. That goes a long ways in staying on good side of any land owner, again unfortunate that respect for other peoples property is not taught in hunter safety courses. I support good hunters, but I have very little time for those that think own the state because they purchase a hunting license. PD

Grrr! I'd like to have a "conversation" with illegal hunters/trespassers! Their actions can do a lot of harm to personal property/livestock and ruin opportunities for respectful hunters.

Don't want to give the impression that I am against legal hunters, because I am not. My family are hunters, and I enjoy a well prepared wild game meal. Don't know the law in other states, but here in Michigan your private property does not have to have no trespassing signs posted. Unless the land is well marked public land, it is considered private property, and as has been said, good hunters will make sure to have obtained written permission from the owner of record. I do know that Michigan hunter safety classes teach about property owners rights, as my daughter and grandson took a course last fall. The illegal hunters from last fall had a game camera up, on a well traveled game trail, that passed through our property, and on into the neighbors. They even erected a huge permanent tree house, gotta call it that as it was too large to be called a stand, on the west neighbors 200 foot wide property. We all will be using our own video cameras this fall, but as Heidi n Q says, I hope to have a conversation with them. The one good thing though has been the conversation that the situation opened up between the adjoining property owners.

A friend has an ongoing battle with the gang of poachers from the nearest larger city. He is on excellent terms with local law enforcement, the game warden, and the local rep from the department of natural resources. He finally was both able to catch them in the act of trespassing and get the sheriff out before the gang got out of the field and into their trucks. Lots of tickets given out and now fewer vehicles parked alongside the fields. He's been threatened and bullied regularly by the gang of poachers but refuses to back down. If anyone is going to hunt the land, it will be him and his daughter, not a bunch of bullies who are used to intimidating land owners into backing down.

Good luck! Hopefully you and the neighbors can band together and convince the poachers to go elsewhere.

Sadly, in NRA and other gun owner classes...they can teach people all the rules concerning gun safety and laws governing where and when they can harvest animals.

But, they can't force idiots and poachers to follow them. :mad: