MissMotherNature

Going To Have A Suprise Foal, Baby Is Here Adding Pictures!

I have an older mare that I have been struggling really hard with her weight for the last month or so. About a week ago when I went to feed her and noticed her udders were swollen. I looked for ticks and cold hosed them. Not thinking much of it at the time but I started looking more closely and when they started only getting bigger I called my vet. Sure enough when I had surgery last year the neighbor's horse got into the pasture. She was pastured at my mother in laws house as I couldn't do much for 8-10 weeks from having back surgery. I am very worried about her and although I love her I would have never bred her on purpose for numerous reasons. Shes 25ish and a maiden mare, she is grade, not the greatest conformation and I do not need anymore horses. I am worried about maintining her weight while nursing now too. Aparently he was a crypt stallion and the owner didnt know he was intact and just hidden. :(

I have had several foals so im not clueless I just really did not want this for her. I feel guilty that I was not able to prevent it. So say some prayers that everything goes well.

old picture but she is the palomino in the middle.

DSCN0333.jpg

Edited by MissMotherNature

Thank you guys! I dont think she is going to make me wait to long. She is really full to the touch and its turning opaque and sticky.

88378a8e-7771-4451-b557-370007d7a2eb.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

I never would have bred her but since I cannot do anything about it now I am getting a little excited. I dont care what color or gender it is, I just want a healthy mom and baby. The stallion was a bay with socks I guess I would like a buckskin filly if I could choose. :grin:

Edited by MissMotherNature

A short wait means less time to think and worry about every possible issue that could come up :) Praying for a quick and easy delivery and healthy mom and baby.

It was a long and exausting night but he is here and finally safe. Checked on her around 2 and water had already broke and two little feet. She was struggling and unable to push him out.She was getting tired and not trying to push anymore. He was shoulder locked and I could not get him in a better position. After some panicing and calling the vets emeregency line I loaded her up and set off to the vet. Sure enough he was shoulder locked and after some manuvering and help from the vet he was born.

Would love name ideas if you think of something. He is perfect and she is being a great mom!

IMG_8833.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

IMG_8838.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8856.jpg

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8865.png

Well that all happened very fast didn't it?! Glad everything came out okay! He is adorable :wub: Little painted beauty I see! Have fun with him!

Yes it did! I was supposed to go on vacation this week and I am sooooo glad I didnt. Just noticed she had a udder last wednsday so 1 week to know. I am so glad she at least gave me that sign becuase otherwise I would have had no clue and who knows what would have happened last night when he was stuck.

Name? Lucky! That's the luckiest foal story I've ever heard. I've never heard of anyone trailering a mare and partially born colt. What time was he finally delivered?

We had only had her unloaded maybe 5 mins and they were able to get him positioned right and out. I had tried the same thing but was not as forceful because I feared I would hurt her. They said I probably could have got him out but I had a bad feeling about it. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

I was scared to haul her but they insisted. They said that way they could be prepared for whatever is going on and if they came out and couldn't get him born then I would have to haul her anyway and she would be more at risk. I had her in a stock trailer and let her ride loose and she stayed up for the whole ride so about 20 mins.

She was priorty over the foal as harsh as that sounds. I feel horrible that she had to go through and I am so happy it turned out ok.

Baby was born about 50-60 mins after I intitially found her.

Looks like you got your buckskin with an added bonus. Sort of like a Blue Light Special at Target. And I understand your priority. You save what you love, right? Maybe you will also have that love for this little fella soon. I'd like to see pics when he "unfolds" He may not be so bad in the conformation dept.

Holy smokes, what a story! So glad everything's fine now, mama and baby doing good.

Would you call him a, buckskin paint ?

I think AL called it, as far as names...Hidden Gem!

Or, what about, Holy Smoke!?

He's absolutely adorable!

Edited by equicrzy

I hope the rest of his life and the mare's are a little less eventful. All's well that ends well. (Maybe you should name him Shakespeare.)

Cricket is doing well but the little one is having some issues. He is contracted in his front legs and it has gotten worse today. We decided to do x rays and then hopefully just have to put on splints. He also hasn't figured how to lay back down. He is getting up and walking till he's wore out and then they are having to help him back down. Praying everything looks ok on the x rays and the splints work. He is at a major vet hospital so the bill is going to be rather steep.

congrats!! talk about scary!!!

I had a colt born with some severely contracted tendons on his fronts. Backs were too to and extent. At 8-12 hours old the vet was out and gave him a big shot of something to relax the tendons. Day 2 he got another. Day 4 he got another, along with splints and gelded. He spent the first two weeks on stall rest in splints. He's perfectly fine now. Grew right out of it.

journeysgirl that's great about your colt! I hope this guy has the same outcome. I'm just so thankful that they are both ok. I NEVER want to have a pregnant mare again! Eay to much stress and just knew about this one for a week. I had even decided no more horses for me but Cricket changed that for me haha!

Love the ne suggestions so far. Can't wait to spend some time with him and see what fits :)

I thought he looked contracted. :( poor booger.,hopefully a few doses of tetra will straighten him out. Is he wind swept, as well?

Glad Momma is doing well, and his coloring sure is stellar!! Keep us posted!

Nothing real unusual with foals from mares that old. I'm betting he will come out of it fine.

They did put splints on him and are going to keep them again. The x rays were good so at least that is on our side. His front right is worse than it was last night. They also have been giving him tetracycline to help. Another issue is shes not producing enough milk so the put a ng tube in to supplement. He is super friendly and she is being a good mom. She doesn't mind people around him but shes observent.

Anyone ever had a mare not produce enough milk? How did you supplement and with what? He did get frozen clostrum soon after birth and those tests came back good.

Serah Rose the hindlegs are an issue too but main concern is the front right. It is very pronounced. I will upload the pictures I took today while i visited them.

Only thing you can really do about that is increase protein and calcium. Alfalfa is good, and a hi-pro feed as well. And add Calf Manna to that. My last foal was out of a 25 year old mare who struggled a bit at first, but caught up this way.

FYI, its pretty hard to founder a nursing mare the first couple months. And I have seen MUCH worse hind legs come out fine. Nutrition helps. Since you didn't know she was preggers, that was lacking a bit for the lil guy.

Edited by ozland

Yes I always had my pregnant mares on a well rounded diet recommmend by my vet. She has had more alfalfa to her diet and will be adding in calf manna and probably dac oil if my vet approves. I have used both with success before. I dont think founder is in this mares future. She has a very high metabolism and I do struggle with her weight at times. They will both get whatever will help them. I had no intentions of having another horse and in fact did not want anymore but I don't think this guy is going anywhere. :rotf:

See how bad the right front bows. I had already gone by when they put splints on so I will have to get pictures of those tomorrow. They did x ray to make sure it was fully formed and it is so really hoping the splints work.

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8877.jpg

She stands over him and just stares at him like "is that really mine?"

IMG_8878.jpg

That last pic looks like he CAN straighten it up a lot when the weight is off. Sure is a flashy little dude.

Oh wow it's a good thing he can even get up at all.

I have seen some super windswept foals straighten out just fine, but was curious if the tetra treatment might be off the table because of him being windswept or if the vet would focus more on the most worrisome aspect of his fronts.

You're doing a wonderful job giving this guy every chance, and looks like you've got a great vet, too! If only All horses could only be so lucky.

He and his momma look very sweet together! His markings are unusual. Daddy must have been Paint/pinto? Since you didn't get to worry through the pregnancy, it sounds as if he's making up for it now.

*thoughts/prayers and good wishes* he straightens up just fine.