Sign in to follow this  
wticer

Head Shaking After 10 Minutes Of Work On Lounge Line, Bridle Or Halter

My mare starts work on lounge line wearing a break away halter without complaint. After several minutes, she violently shakes her head every couple of steps. Under saddle she does the same thing whether riding with a bit (snaffle) or hackamore. Any thoughts as to why?

She is a healthy 10 year old.

I've got some ideas I'll mention for your consideration. Since she does this with halter and bit/bridle and whether she is ridden or not, I wouldn't think it is a mouth or saddle issue but something does appear to be going on with her head. Perhaps her ears? Also, have you looked into head shaking syndrome? www.headshakingsyndrome.com I assume you've ruled out bug avoidance and tack fit.

Questions: Does she shake her head at liberty? At what gaits (all or only the faster gaits) does she shake her head?

Others will have more, and/or better, suggestions and questions to narrow the parameters by getting a closer look at what you and your horse are doing so they can answer more completely. I hope someone is able to help you both.

Thanks for the idea. I can rub her ears and put a finger inside and rub without any difficulty. The head shaking gets started after about 10 minutes of work (liberty included). I will look at the headshaking syndrome article. Although I have no evidence to back me up, I'm beginning to think it is a case of being barn sour. She was getting a good deal of work over the winter and early spring, but the heat the last month has caused me to really cut back on riding. If the weather cools a bit, I will try a longer ride (2+ hours) and see if she quits.

Better idea would be to see if she is out at the poll, and the headgear is causing pain there.

If she's not flinching or reacting at ear pressure, then I suspect ozland is on to something.

If she only started doing this when it got hot, then I WILL ask...how bad are the flies?

I would highly reccomend having a chiropractor or equine body worker(massage) work on your mare. I would strongly suspect that your mare is having muscle tension issues. These issues can lead to more serious problems of not taken care of. You have a great opportunity to work on this since you have been so observant and noticed that there is something going on! Kudos to you for being so observant.

We have one I can only describe as his forelock blows like open curtains and annoys his ears I think. I tuck his forelock under his brow band or plait it and he is fine, no head shaking.

Other normal causes however are pain, allergies or tight fitting browbands/tack fit. Rule out them and see what you're left with :) physio, dentist etc for pain, nosenet and allergy relief if it could be that and double check your browband and fits ok and the rest of your tack.