Sign in to follow this  
LROLIRAD

My Horse Was A Brat With The Farrier - Kicked!

My gelding can be a handful for most people to handle. Recently he kicked the farrier during a visit. The farrier admitted to me afterwards that he has been difficult to handle for a while. He had never mentioned this to me and I thought they got along well. I am not usually there when he comes out, but would have gladly been there to assist. That evening I set my gelding up- tied and began cleaning his hooves. I got 3 done with no problem, but when I went to pick up his left rear, he began side stepping away from me. I was persistent and followed him around until I could pick up his hoof. He immediately began pulling and jerky his foot away and ended up smacking me in the side. I then worked with him by picking the hoof up with a rope and making him hold it up. As long as I kept his hoof low - about 6-8 inches off the ground he was fine. Pick up higher and he began resisting. Later I tried to lunge him and immediately noticed he was limping. Did not notice any heat or swelling. Wondering if this had anything to do with his behavior? I have owned this horse for 10 yrs. and have never seen him kick at a person or even our dogs.

I now have to find a new farrier, but don't want anyone to get hurt. Advise please???

Edited by palogirl

Sounds like a pain issue, not a case of disrespect, since you picked up three with no problem.

I'd have him checked out by the vet to rule out pain in,probably, his hips.

My older gelding did pretty much the same thing with both back feet, it was arthritis in his hips.

If it's just a case of pain, a dose of Bute, or, aspirin paste before the Farrier came, could help a lot.

Good luck!

your first sentence contradicts the last sentence of your first paragraph ("my gelding can be a handful for most people to handle"). does he have ground manners or not? if not, why not?

no horse owner on the planet should be outraged when a vet or farrier says that they will not attend to an ill-mannered horse anymore. they have to earn a living too and can't risk the injuries. if you can't pick up your horse's hoof without him kicking you I would suggest you teach him manners first before professionals come out to attend to his care.

Edited by nick

Yes, sounds like a pain issue somewhere in the area of that hip or leg. My horse, on occasion, will give me a hard time lifting a particular foot because he is hurting. He usually lifts each hoof as I go around cleaning them with no problem, so when he resists, I know he is trying to tell me something.