Sign in to follow this  
QueenBAW

Crock Pot And Flooring Questions.

So I'm almost all moved into my new place. I really like it, and love the little town. My drive to work is an hour and fifteen minutes, so by the time I get home, I'm ready to eat dinner.

I've come across some really simple Crock Pot recepies lately. Do you guys use your Crock Pot when you're not at home? I've used mine plenty, but mostly on the weekends when I'm around or not going to be gone from home very long. Anyone turn theirs on before going to work and return to dinner already made? I'm nervous about leaving it all day...should I be?

My new place has hardwood flooring. My oldest dog who has home hopped most of her life before me, is totally fine with it. But my poor younger girl (6 years) who grew up on carpet, does not like the wood flooring at all. I've bought her some rugs and she very thankful for them, lol. Will she ever get used to the wood floor? Or will I just have to get some more rugs?

I have left the crock pot on all day, I have turned it on in the morning and, left it all day, until dinner, never had a problem. I have left the house with it on, just not all day, it would probably be fine, but, I can understand the hesitation.

My dog also doesn't like uncarpeted floors, he'll run and play, staying on the rugs and, when he comes to bare floor, he slows down, he knows he'll slip. He's learned where he can go fast and, where he has to slow down.

It's very common to do so.

I no longer do because I have an immense (and understandable) fear of another house fire.

RE: the crockpot I mean

If you decide to leave the crockpot, be sure it's plugged into a GFI receptacle. I've never had one and probably wouldn't leave it, but I'm a worrier.

I did that as a habit for years, but I did, as Jubal suggested, plug it into a GFI outlet. Also, if you have house cats, duct tape the lid down when you leave it. We learned the hard way that supper will be eaten, just not by the humans.

Never had an issue with my crock pot. It's nice to come home to dinner all ready to eat.

For the dog, does she have long hair? If so, try trimming the hair on her feet super short. It helped my guy a lot.

I love my crock pot. I recently typed up a few recipes for my fiancés brother, which I will paste below in case you're interested. These are my go-to recipes.

Slow Cooker: Easy Meals

Note: Cooking times are approximate and will depend on your slow cooker and whether you keep the lid closed the whole time. Opening the lid will reduce the temperature and therefore increases cooking time. Check for “doneness” before serving!

A favourite:

• 1 packet French Onion Soup Mix (Lipton or no-name – located by the cans of soup, comes in box with dry packets)
  • 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup OR 1 can of condensed tomato soup
  • Directions: sprinkle dry soup mix over meat, top with canned condensed soup.
  • Use with: Beef (roast), pork tenderloin, frozen chicken thighs or legs (5-7 pieces), or turkey thighs/legs (2 pieces)
  • Approximate cooking time: Low 7-8 hours for beef, 5-6 hours for pork or chicken. This recipe makes its own gravy.

Easy roast chicken:

• Take a whole chicken (can be frozen or thawed – increase cooking time if frozen) and sprinkle with salt/pepper/spice of choice, drizzle with sauce of choice (BBQ sauce etc.) if desired
  • Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Pork ribs:

• Take two full racks of ribs (thawed at least enough to cut) and cut into four pieces each.
  • Coat each piece with BBQ sauce and sprinkle with spice if desired (Montreal Chicken Spice is good) and place in slow cooker. If you run out of space, cut them smaller or stack them on their side instead of flat.
  • Cook on low 5-7 hours, drain juice as required.
  • Remove from slow cooker, reapply sauce of choice, and grill on the BBQ for 15 minutes.
Edited by Toledo

Yesterday I cooked a pork roast in dr pepper, then shredded it and cooked it another hour in bbq.

So good.

I love my crock pot. I recently typed up a few recipes for my fiancés brother, which I will paste below in case you're interested. These are my go-to recipes.

Slow Cooker: Easy Meals

Note: Cooking times are approximate and will depend on your slow cooker and whether you keep the lid closed the whole time. Opening the lid will reduce the temperature and therefore increases cooking time. Check for “doneness” before serving!

A favourite:

• 1 packet French Onion Soup Mix (Lipton or no-name – located by the cans of soup, comes in box with dry packets)
  • 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup OR 1 can of condensed tomato soup
  • Directions: sprinkle dry soup mix over meat, top with canned condensed soup.
  • Use with: Beef (roast), pork tenderloin, frozen chicken thighs or legs (5-7 pieces), or turkey thighs/legs (2 pieces)
  • Approximate cooking time: Low 7-8 hours for beef, 5-6 hours for pork or chicken. This recipe makes its own gravy.

I used to make this one all the time, except I would cook mine with carrots and potatoes in the crockpot, too.

Another favorite of mine is a chuck roast in the crockpot, add a packet of dry italian dressing mix and a packet of onion soup mix and two cups of water. Cook until tender for the easiest italian beef ever. We of course put it in rolls with mozarella cheese.

last night I made a recipe for chicken bacon crockpot chowder, although I cooked it on the stove. Easily done in the crockpot if you add the cream and cream cheese at the end. It was AWESOME. I doubled the broth, added two small bags of frozen corn and left out the onion. Next time I will add rosemary.

Chicken Bacon Crockpot Chowder

4 Cloves Garlic - Minced

1 Shallot – Finely Chopped

1 Leek – Cleaned, Trimmed, and Sliced

2 Ribs Celery - Diced

6 oz. Cremini Mushrooms - Sliced

1 Medium Sweet Onion – Thinly Sliced

4 Tbs. Butter – Divided

2 Cups Chicken Stock – Divided

1 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

8 oz. Cream Cheese

1 Cup Heavy Cream

1 lb. Bacon – Cooked Crisp, and Crumbled

1 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Pepper

1 tsp. Garlic Powder

1 tsp. Thyme

Edited by Greenhaven

Well poo, my new place doesn't have any of those fancy outlets. Guess I'll just have to be home when I use the crock pot.

I'm loving the recepies!!

Well poo, my new place doesn't have any of those fancy outlets. Guess I'll just have to be home when I use the crock pot.

I'm loving the recepies!!

Check the local building codes. I would think any rental properties should have GFI outlets in the kitchen and bath.

Right, outlets that are near water....bathrooms, kitchen..... Are supposed to have GFCI outlets.

It probably does vary by state, but your landlord does not have to know that. It would relatively cheap for them to pay an electrician to replace a couple outlets with GFCIs. Provided the electrical system is a modern one, that is.

Love my crock pot, and not worried about leaving it on when Im gone, have done it for years. Mine has a timer, so it shuts off when the time is up. Of course I realize that's not going to help if there IS a fire,but I just think its a neat little thing to have because my first crock pot didn't.

I leave my crockpot on specifically on days when I know I won't be home in time to deal with dinner.

In terms of dog slipping on the floor. I used to laugh at these until recently when I saw a dog wearing them in the Doggie ICU.

www.toegrips.com

The dog had recently had a rear leg removed. She had been having problems getting around with her new balance points and had been slipping and falling during recovery. The owner said the toegrips were a godsend, and that the dog completely left them alone. Something to consider.

Thanks for the info DawnC, looks pretty neat. My pooch is doing much better now actually. I think it just took her a little time getting used to and then building her confidence.

My crockpot has a two level timer the first lowers the heat and holds it at a warming temperature until you turn it off or use the 2nd level to shut off the warming stage at specific time. There are two settings high and low. If I'm going to be gone for an extra long time (over 8 hours) I add 1/3 cup of additional water to keep it from burning and set it at low.

Some GFI are outlets (it takes about 5 minutes to switch them out) and some newer or rewired houses have them as part of the breakers in the electrical box. If your outlets have little switches or pads between the two plug-ins it is a GFI outlet. We switched out all of the kitchen & bathroom outlets to GFI. The hardest part was unscrewing the cover plates and then reattaching them when we were done.

We leave our crock pots on all the time, specially in the winter when we want to come to a warm meal already cooked.

Favorite recipe:

1 can black beans, drained

1 can corn, drained

5 or 6 boneless skinless breaststroke or thighs (can be frozen)

Regular sized jar of salsa.

Place in crock pot in order. Cook on low about 7 hours. Do not stir, or open.

Serve on tortillas with cheese, or eat as a stew..

Throw in some onions, throw down a pork loin roast on top, toss in a can of dr pepper, salt, pepper, garlic. Cook until tender. Scrape off the fat, shred, cook another hour in the juices with some bbq sauce thrown in.

Dr Pepper Pulled Pork.

Can use any dark soda - coke, rootbeer, etc.